LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Original motor for the car?

The engine i pulled out of my 04 when i bent a rod had gen iv rods/pistons. I guess GM started using them in some LS engines around 03 or so, and rumor has it 04 GTO's all did.

Makes me wonder if the motor i have now does. It came out of another GTO.
Yes this is the original 5.7 that came out the car. Now I’m thinking about replacing the piston. Gapping rings and saving it. Anyone have a piston you’d sell me?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like I'm a little late and this would not be relevant at this point but If you go with a 5.3 block and you like boost then go with the Iron block instead of aluminum and the push the boost levels up to 20ish lbs.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Looks like I'm a little late and this would not be relevant at this point but If you go with a 5.3 block and you like boost then go with the Iron block instead of aluminum and the push the boost levels up to 20ish lbs.
why?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I’ve been told this same thing by a few people. However, when I ask them to provide proof that I NEED a cast iron block for my goals, which will likely never exceed 850rear wheel hp.....they never have an answer or proof. If you do, I’m all ears. Matter of fact I’ve personally seen the same setup I’m running in the 8’s without failure. I’m not worried about going near that fast. Plus why would I want to add 100lbs to the front of an already heavy car?

I had a friend the other day (very jealous, hater type) try to tell me that a mutual friend of ours said I made a mistake going with the aluminum block. I said why. He said because they are weak. I said o yea? You ever seen one fail? No. Ever heard of one failing because of the block? No. Then why would you said that? Silence and subject change happened. I dont regret going with an aluminum block at all and I’m zero percent worried about it.

·
Worthless reject member
38,158 Posts
Do I make a good point? And are you laughing at me or with me? Lol :)
it wasn't at you at all. at that power level, with everything done right, i think the block is certainly not the weak point. plus you'd be adding 100 lbs on your front end for no reason.

there's nothing wrong with a seasoned iron block, though.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
it wasn't at you at all. at that power level, with everything done right, i think the block is certainly not the weak point. plus you'd be adding 100 lbs on your front end for no reason.

there's nothing wrong with a seasoned iron block, though.
Agreed. The crank is the weak point, at this point. And it’ll hold 1000hp.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve been told this same thing by a few people. However, when I ask them to provide proof that I NEED a cast iron block for my goals, which will likely never exceed 850rear wheel hp.....they never have an answer or proof. If you do, I’m all ears. Matter of fact I’ve personally seen the same setup I’m running in the 8’s without failure. I’m not worried about going near that fast. Plus why would I want to add 100lbs to the front of an already heavy car?

I had a friend the other day (very jealous, hater type) try to tell me that a mutual friend of ours said I made a mistake going with the aluminum block. I said why. He said because they are weak. I said o yea? You ever seen one fail? No. Ever heard of one failing because of the block? No. Then why would you said that? Silence and subject change happened. I dont regret going with an aluminum block at all and I’m zero percent worried about it.
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with a aluminum block for your goals. I wasn't aware of your power goals when I made that post. I've never heard of an aluminium block directly failing but I heard iron distorts less under heat than aluminum does which has probably led to some internals failing on a aluminum block. I've seen a video where the heads lifted on a high boost ls7 block and then they went with a lsx block but their power levels were way beyond your goals.
If I had a chance I would go with a lq9 block but stroke it out to a 408. There is no replacment for displacement.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with a aluminum block for your goals. I wasn't aware of your power goals when I made that post. I've never heard of an aluminium block directly failing but I heard iron distorts less under heat than aluminum does which has probably led to some internals failing on a aluminum block. I've seen a video where the heads lifted on a high boost ls7 block and then they went with a lsx block but their power levels were way beyond your goals.
If I had a chance I would go with a lq9 block but stroke it out to a 408. There is no replacment for displacement.
Sure there is.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Picked up a set of ls9 gaskets on the way home this evening. My buddy always got me covered. I was gonna order them, but too many fakes. He only carries the real thing. No brainer.

My valves didn’t make in yet so I had some time for other things. This isn’t part of the engine build really, but while it’s all off the car, might as well do it. I ceramic coated my manifold and header. I used the cerakote stuff. So far this stuff is unbelievable. I cannot got over how little amount I used on both items. I bought like half a quart because I didn’t believe what another member (Sorry forgot his name) on here was saying how it used so little. Well it’s amazing to say the least. I don’t think I used an oz. of the stuff. So now I’ve gotta find more stuff to coat lol.

here’s the manifold before (was blasted, looked rusty before)

and manifold and header after coating.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well I have an update. I cranked the car Sunday. Fired up like I never even too the engine out. Oil pressure cold was about 55psi at idle. I let it warm up. Then I gave it a little gas, oil pressure went up past 60 and then I cut it off. Topped the oil off. Cranked again, not having my scanner on this time, the check oil light comes on. O shit. I panic and cut it off. Hook up my scanner and crank again, no oil pressure. WTF. So I’m stressing at this point. My kid looks at me and I just put my head down on my fender for a while. All this work I did and now this.
I throw all my tools and crap in the shop. Call it a night. And then ask around what could be the issue. Main answer I got was the oil pump pressure valve stuck open.Or a wiped or spun cam bearing. Which thinking back, could be a possibility because the cam was a little tighter than I really liked but I rolled with it.

I cut open the oil filter. Had a decent amount of metal. O shit. Cranked it with no filter, oil cane out but not as hard as I thought it should. Would not come out my turbo feed line. So not the sensor. I decided I’m pulling the engine out. Monday night I was burnt out. Tuesday I decided to just start taking a few things loose. 2.5 hours later, motor was ready to be lifted back out. I had brought the engine hoist back to work so it would have to wait. Figured I’d bring it home with me Saturday after work and yank it Sunday. Lol. I did it tonight and tore it down. Pressure relief valve was most certainly stuck. More on that in the next post.....

41 - 60 of 84 Posts