LS1GTO Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
See the gap in that piston and see how you can see that hole? It was just bleeding pressure there.

This is a known good pump. See how the valve is in a different spot and it’s closed

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What caused this you say? Well I had a theory. And I ended up testing it and I was right.
I ported the pump. I thought I had left some trash in it, but what happened was, that piston wore in to the bore. When I put it back, it didn’t go back in the exact same position. The bore had scratches on one side and the piston had matching scratches and if it all is lined up, it moves with no resistance. You twist it a little and it gets hard to move or jammed. So a new lesson was learned. Replace the pump and don’t try and mess with a used one. Had I not pulled the piston out, all would be fine.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
that sucks...
yes. Yes it does. On the upside, it ain’t shit for me to do a motor in this car. I think I’m gonna run this 5.3 for a while and build an ls3 or something like I’ve been wanting to. We shall see. I’m not scared to pull the motor out anymore since I did it twice. Lol.

·
Worthless reject member
40,722 Posts
you think you're going to need to go back over it again or should the bearings be ok? i mean you didn't run it for long with 0 pressure...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
you think you're going to need to go back over it again or should the bearings be ok? i mean you didn't run it for long with 0 pressure...
yea. I’m tearing it down tonight. The bearings are scuffed you enough to where it bothers me. I picked up a melling 10295 select series pump and king rod bearings and acl main bearings. The bearings visually look much nicer quality than clevite. Get this, I got both sets of bearings for $30. Not $30 each, $30 for both. I got the pump for $115

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Got the block all apart. Honed it. Cleaned. Cleaned. Cleaned again. I took all the plugs out and hoses it down with 4 can of brake cleaner and engine cleaning brushes in the passages.

I had the crank polished back out by a friend who has the correct equipment to do it. Now it’s time to start putting it back together.

I like these bearings much better than clevite.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Checked the crank clearances. They were all about where I wanted them (.0016-.002)

Set the thrust. Torqued the arp main studs.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Crank turns smooth as silk. I also decided to get Lucas assembly lube. I like that stuff. Much better than what I was using. I’m picking up the head gaskets and lifters tomorrow. I have two pistons installed as of last night. I’ll do the rest and put the cam in tonight and maybe the oil pump and oil pan. See how far I get. Trying to have it running by Sunday.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
So you did you get the mains honed or just checked the tolerances? Just asking seeing you got the arp hardware.
No I didn’t get it lined honed. I did check the clearances and my buddy took a little off the journals to loosen it up some. And line honing was a debate I had. However. There’s many people who haven’t and didn’t have an issue. Didn’t even find someone who had a failure because of it. AND two of my buddies have built lots of these engines and never have had theirs line honed and never had an issue. Plus I feel like is a non issue because the bearings had an even scratch pattern on them. Here you go.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Got it running last night. Fired right up. Funny thing is things will usually happen for me one way or the other. One way, I’ll have a few small silly issues and in the grand scheme, it’s a complete success. On the other hand, I’ll have no issues at all and it’s becomes a major disaster. We’ll hopefully it turns out a success because initially I left the map sensor unplugged. So it started right up. Idled. Then died. A couple times till I realized. Then I went for a quick drive this morning, forgot to tighten the lower radiator hose. It blew off when I pulled up in the driveway. Then on a romp this evening, I blew the intake hose off that’s hooked to the throttle body. That’s what I get for working on something when tired and working past midnight.

here’s an idle video

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
that thing spins up with ease ...awesome job.

Where does your converter flash at?
I dunno yet but will stall 3000-3100 on the brake. I can tell already this thing is gonna be a man when I get it lined out.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So you did you get the mains honed or just checked the tolerances? Just asking seeing you got the arp hardware.
I guess now we gonna see how long my main bearings last. Honestly I don’t think it’s gonna be an issue. You only torque the outside bolts to a measly 50ft lbs anyways and the inner to 60 ft lbs. That metal is so thick in the mains, I can’t imagine 50-60ft lbs distorting it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I guess now we gonna see how long my main bearings last. Honestly I don’t think it’s gonna be an issue. You only torque the outside bolts to a measly 50ft lbs anyways and the inner to 60 ft lbs. That metal is so thick in the mains, I can’t imagine 50-60ft lbs distorting it.
Some of mine backed out and others are prolly loose. Was gonna go arp but bought supposed oem replacement stuff. Prolly wont keep the motor together much longer.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Some of mine backed out and others are prolly loose. Was gonna go arp but bought supposed oem replacement stuff. Prolly wont keep the motor together much longer.
Your main bolts backed out?

61 - 80 of 84 Posts