LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still (and always will be) a work in progress when it comes to pistol shooting. I always want to improve on my technique and I practice those drills when I go to the range.

One part I've been struggling with is keeping both eyes open. When it works for me, it works well, but I find my eyes "fight" with each other for dominance. I saw a video this morning that I think will completely correct that issue forever!! A simple turn of the head eliminates my other eye from trying to gain dominance while still having that eye see threats. I am going to give this a shot!!

Link below demonstrates this. It's like 9 minutes or so into the video, but the girl he is training is really cute, so it's an easy 9 minutes. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,159 Posts
Why do you want to shoot with both eyes open? Really the only time I do is with RDS units. Otherwise I just use my right eye. Although I can shoot any combo you want me too. I trained myself as a kid to control my eyes completely. I know there are people that shoot both eyes open with irons but I don't get it myself.

That being said when instructing for us with a cross dominant person is to simply cant the gun to the dominant eye. I am not talking gangster shit, but just a slight cant. It generally works almost every time.

I will try and check out the video later and see if there's some takeaways. Always willing to try new stuff.

Reactions: drowssap

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did give this a try and it didn't help as much as I thought it would. I am still finding inconsistencies in my shot groups. Now, I am shooting at a 8 1/2 x 11 paper, so you're doing pretty good if you can hit a circle in it, but I want to be WAY more consistent because in a defense situation, your aiming is going to be a lot worse and if I can get those fundamentals down, I will have a much better chance at surviving the situation if it ever arises.

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went shoot Saturday. I had three new pistols that I had never shot before...a glock 48, glock 26 and a sig P365. The sig was my favorite by far. I highly recommend trying one if you get a chance. It was super accurate too.
My brother, sister, and brother-in-law all have Sigs and they like it. I will have to try theirs one day. I am just trying to get that consistency from my G19.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My brother, sister, and brother-in-law all have Sigs and they like it. I will have to try theirs one day. I am just trying to get that consistency from my G19.

I see why they are so expensive. The trigger and sights are much better.

·
Buckethead
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see why they are so expensive. The trigger and sights are much better.
I have thought about changing the sights out, but I don't want to fall into the "it's the gun's fault" trap since I'm pretty sure it's on the shooter....me!!! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts