LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2683 Posts

·
Administrator
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not one yet but I'm learning. Bought some Black Saddle 12 yr last night. Nice flavor...definitely warmed up the belly.

·
Pepper's Pilot
8,710 Posts
I'm no bourbon snob, but I have been enjoying my bottle of Basil Hayden's. Made me not even want to drink my Maker's or Woodford.

I have a bottle of Garrison Brothers (made in TX) I need to open in celebration of my rebuild. I have enjoyed my previous 2 bottles...

·
Dick Ross
7,283 Posts
Angel's Envy is my new favorite. Maker's is still up on my list. I just like booze though...

·
Yes, that is an empty garage
602 Posts
I'm no bourbon snob, but I have been enjoying my bottle of Basil Hayden's. Made me not even want to drink my Maker's or Woodford.

I have a bottle of Garrison Brothers (made in TX) I need to open in celebration of my rebuild. I have enjoyed my previous 2 bottles...
Basil Hayden's is VERY good stuff, highly enjoy it. I really like the entire small batch line, actually. I have a bottle of Baker's at home and finished off a bottle of Booker's. The problem with them is that they're a bit too hot for my taste (Bakers 107 pf, Booker's 120+pf).

I was poking around the web and Four Roses kept coming up again and again...finally give in a got a bottle of what they call Four Roses "yellow". ($17-20/bottle locally).

I have to say, I am extremely surprised with this stuff. Great neat, great in a mixer...very solid offering. This is definitely a "serving" bourbon is you do not want to burn through a $40+ bottle for a party.

If I had tried that blind, I wouldn't have guessed $20/bottle...not even close.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
8,188 Posts
Angel's Envy is my new favorite. Maker's is still up on my list. I just like booze though...
I'm going to second the Angel's Envy, especially at the price point. I went to an Angel's Envy dinner last year and got to try all of them.

·
8,188 Posts
Four Roses is also pretty good. They had a brand resurgence under new ownership. It used to be bottom shelf kind of stuff.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm a Col. Lee guy myself.

·
Yes, that is an empty garage
602 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,294 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm a "snob", per se, as I can always find a time/place for a cheap bottle of bourbon mixed with coke or something. I've loved the "good" stuff, though, for a while and now drink bourbon neat almost exclusively.

Right now, my cabinet contains:

Booker's
Russel's Reserve
Larceny
Basil Hayden's
Angel's Envy
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Evan Williams
Very Old Barton

I particularly like spicy bourbons, which is why Booker's is probably at the top of my list. It was mentioned a few posts earlier, but it is really good stuff. Strong, for sure, and with a lot going on in it, but smooth, still.

Basil Hayden's is a little too, I don't know, "plain" for me. It is quality and smooth, but a bit boring (probably too harsh a word) to drink.

If you want to pick up a kick ass bottle of bourbon for not a lot of coin, get you some Larceny. It is in the same ilk as Maker's Mark, but even better (in my opinion) and for a few bucks cheaper. If you like Maker's (and I really do), then you need to try this stuff.

·
8,188 Posts
I read about this. I've only been the bourbon game for 5-7 years now and only fairly "serious" about it the past year.

It seems the brand went to shit and was rot-gut here in the States until it was purchased by the Japanese 15 some odd years ago...

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/02/15/the-four-roses-story/
Yep. They had a dinner here and told their whole story. I still remember seeing it next to MD 20/20 and Night Train back in the day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll agree with angels envy but it is a little on the pricey side. I'll add in bullet bourbon for another reasonable priced very drinkable whiskey at around $25 a bottle. If you can swing a little more for a special occasion then my current favorite is george stagg jr. It runs about $50 a bottle but it is cask strength at around 130 proof. It is extremely smooth and flavorful when cut with a bit of ice or a spoonful of water. I haven't been able to find any regular george stagg which is aged 18 years and goes for around $80 as opposed to the jr. which is only aged 10. Supposedly the 18 y/o stuff is incredibly had to find because of its popularity.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can't believe I forgot templeton rye. Don't let the rye fool you if you're not a rye whiskey fan it has very subtle notes of rye. This is probably the most drinkable whiskey I've had under $40. When you've heard of Al Capone and the gangsters talking about "the good stuff" they are referring to Templeton Rye.

·
Tu stultus es
27,106 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,294 Posts
How about some Rye?
I like rye, but I LOVE bourbon.

I've had ryes from Bulleit, Knob Creek, Templeton, and one other that is escaping me right now. I enjoy them and will still grab a Bulleit Rye from time to time.

I think that vanilla/caramel/leathery taste accompanied by the spice is what I'm looking for.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,806 Posts
when ya'll have a barrel mix being aged for you at a distillery ya'll can be a bourbon snob.

till then shut your whore mouths whilst the men converse.

(bought into a barrel at woodford - I've still got 3 years to wait).

·
move the eff over
7,196 Posts
when ya'll have a barrel mix being aged for you at a distillery ya'll can be a bourbon snob.

till then shut your whore mouths whilst the men converse.

(bought into a barrel at woodford - I've still got 3 years to wait).
Sounds like a race. Between your liver, and the oak barrel. :gr_jest:

Hope you win.

1 - 20 of 2683 Posts