LS1GTO.com Forums banner

2561 - 2580 of 2595 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,213 Posts
It's hot so I'm on a rum kick. Made Mojito's the other night for the first time in 4 years.

when it's 90 and 80% humidity at 530PM Bourbon just doesn't hit the spot.
To this point, I dig rum, but I don't know too much about it, nor have I tried that many varieties. That said, I like it neat, too, so it doesn't really work any better/worse than whiskey with regards to the heat.

If I'm mixing up a ****tail while it's hot, I prefer a whiskey sour. A nicely crafted one with scotch and egg white if I have the time and energy for it, otherwise just a massive jug of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond plus Country Time Lemonade for the poor man's version.

I have a one-gallon Drink Tank that I fill with poor man's whiskey sour and take golfing. Refreshing way to drink whiskey on a hot day.

Edit: Here's the Drink Tank. These things are badass. This is the one-gallon version.

·
Orphan Car Owner
2,795 Posts
Straight From The Barrel. That's the Blanton's Dak is sipping on in that pic. It is a barrel strength version of Blanton's that is (stupidly) not available over here in the US.

Come to think of it, NONE of the other Blanton's versions are available in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dak.

Black
Red
Green
Gold
SFTB
LMDW

None of those here. Only the Single Barrel.
That is correct. Friend of mine went to Spain and found Gold, SFTB and the Green collecting dust. We tried them all and he sold me a bottle of the Gold which was my favorite at the time. He wouldn't let one of the SFTBs go. I'd love to get one but not for the $150 secondary.

https://www.chicagobourbon.org/2019/03/26/is-the-time-right-for-a-blantons-sftb-u-s-release/

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,128 Posts
That drinktank is pretty cool. We bought a couple of RTIC insulated jugs for a similar purpose.

Drank a bunch of Rare Breed Wild Turkey last night. Pretty good for a reasonably inexpensive bottle.

·
Porch Dick
20,213 Posts
That drinktank is pretty cool. We bought a couple of RTIC insulated jugs for a similar purpose.

Drank a bunch of Rare Breed Wild Turkey last night. Pretty good for a reasonably inexpensive bottle.
I have two of those in half-gallon. Love them.

·
2,128 Posts
That is correct. Friend of mine went to Spain and found Gold, SFTB and the Green collecting dust. We tried them all and he sold me a bottle of the Gold which was my favorite at the time. He wouldn't let one of the SFTBs go. I'd love to get one but not for the $150 secondary.

https://www.chicagobourbon.org/2019/03/26/is-the-time-right-for-a-blantons-sftb-u-s-release/
This is good to know. I have a bit of a Eurotour coming up this fall for work, anything else special that I should look for that I can only get abroad?

·
Porch Dick
20,213 Posts
This is good to know. I have a bit of a Eurotour coming up this fall for work, anything else special that I should look for that I can only get abroad?
Which countries are you headed to?

Glenfarclas 15 is one of my favorite scotches and is only available outside the US. Sherry cask aged, so on the fruit and floral side. So delicious.

If through Holland, look for Frysk Hynder. It's a Dutch single malt. The cognac cask finished version is like the most delightful Werther's Original you've ever had. Great looking bottle, too.

Stauning is a pretty highly sought after Danish whiskey.

Otherwise, there are a lot of duty free exclusives. They're not always all that great, but fun to try. I had a Laphroaig Four Oak this past summer that was tasty, if not a bit flat.

Aside from the Blanton's, I can't think of any other bourbon off the top of my head.

·
2,128 Posts
Right now have France, Belgium, and Germany on the docket. Of course I'll be needing to focus on the wine and beer while there, but may need to bring back some treats. :)

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,479 Posts
I'm so far behind.

Rum - I like a decently aged rum over ice. always over ice.

Occasionally I like a good - mojito - cheap rum though.

OH and Belgium is sort of like France food and drink wise. Or so I feel - there are of course some great beers though. Depends on where you are - parts of belgium are more french than others - or so I was told. I really really wanted to run though the FN factory when I was there but wasn't able to.

France - do you speak or read any french - you need to learn up some. you probably already know that but still. where are you going to end up if you don't mind my asking?

meanwhile I need to stock up on supplies this week - I ran out on saturday. Been making daiquiris. I know I know girls drink whatever but fresh fruit from the farmer's market that's left over from making other things - just fits in the blender you know.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,479 Posts
Best thing I found was bourbon isn’t as popular, so bars had great prices to try things. I had found BTAC in Scotland for €15 a pour
Good point. This is almost universally true but seems to not be the case in France.

However the issue I have - is there are so many other things there that I can't get here that I pass over any bourbons. IE in scotland I was trying scotches I can't get here. In france I found I drank brandy, or other odd things. Belgium, beers and german icewines. Spain - wine and other mixed drinks.

etc etc.

Ireland - all irish whisky, or beer or apple cider (yes seriously)

·
Not a Mustank Douche
10,043 Posts
Happened to swing into a local WalMart liquor store and saw they have a Bookers 2018-02, worth picking up in your opinions?

2561 - 2580 of 2595 Posts