LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what y’all have done with the factory rubber washer that is on the OE bleeders? I am replacing with Speedbleeders, and don’t really see the purpose of these washers since the bleeder has to be tightened until it bottoms out.

·
Registered
2006 PBM M6
9 Posts
Are you me? I literally asked this question about a month ago and got no response. I recently did this, and kept them intact, and was still able to bottom the bleeder out. If you're doing SB1010 bleeders the fronts I believe are slightly shorter than stock, just make sure tighten it good. Also the head on the speed bleeders is standard (7/16 I believe) which threw me off initially.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you me? I literally asked this question about a month ago and got no response. I recently did this, and kept them intact, and was still able to bottom the bleeder out. If you're doing SB1010 bleeders the fronts I believe are slightly shorter than stock, just make sure tighten it good. Also the head on the speed bleeders is standard (7/16 I believe) which threw me off initially.
I did use the SB1010; the rears where nearly identical length, and the fronts were longer that OEM.

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but i've never noticed a rubber washer on the brake caliper bleeder screws. I think the rubber dust cap is tied to the bleeder screw via a rubber ring, so you don't lose it?

I've never seen a caliper bleeder screw with any kind of washer. It seals via metal-to-metal contact via the beveled tip at the end of the screw.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. It seals via metal-to-metal contact via the beveled tip at the end of the screw.
Agree, but the factory ones had more than just a rubber ring to hold the cap; it was thick, maybe 3/8”. I’d have to dig them out of the trash, but you can kinda see it in my drain pan in the picture here.

Attachments

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts
I can't see sh** captain

i'll pop a bleeder screw off of one of my (now) spare calipers tomorrow when i am home and take a closer look.

Best guess is perhaps to not let air or fluid past the threads when the bleeder is cracked?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Maybe it's an attempt to prevent corrosion on the threads. I can dig my stock calipers out and see what they have

1 - 7 of 7 Posts