LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when your replacing your OEM pads what is everyone going with? the brakes seem to be good on my 06 but as i keep modding i would like to be insured im able to stop nice and quick if needed....

thanks

·
Registered Gator
506 Posts
Porterfield R4-S Pads front and rear...

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is my experience with Porterfield pads - tried them out becuse others were raving about the performance. At 200 bucks for all 4 wheels they have to be fantastic super pads. Not! These things are for racing - probably takes high heat really well. For street driving they are a joke- twice the pedal pressure for a quick stop. And after I put the stockers back in, performance was still down for 3 weeks (glazed rotors). Mods will sometimes generate imagination - after putting in a 160 thermostat, I was convinced the car was faster (it was, the air temp was 20 degrees cooler)
Just some observations -not bashing the company or anyone here.

·
1,095 Posts
stevedelegard said:
This is my experience with Porterfield pads - tried them out becuse others were raving about the performance. At 200 bucks for all 4 wheels they have to be fantastic super pads. Not! These things are for racing - probably takes high heat really well. For street driving they are a joke- twice the pedal pressure for a quick stop.
Interesting- that's 180° outta phase with my own experience with the Porterfields; had a local shop take a light cut off the front rotors just to clean them, and the bite has been outstanding- hot or cold- since Day One.

·
1,095 Posts
Yes- OEM '05 rotors in front, stock '04s in the rear.

Hate hearing that the pads didn't work for you- I've done a fair bit of cheerleading for them.

·
Who me, no not me...
10,320 Posts
yellow are good sometime, although at 110 I didn't feel real good about them. The stockers felt better over 110, but on the track the stockers built too much heat and fried everything. I'll have to wait until I track the EBC yellows to give a real opinion.

·
AKA CrabbyDaddy
251 Posts
Hawk HP+ on the front and Porterfield R4-S on the rear.
The Hawks are a little dirty and make noise at times - but they will stop you from high speeds all day long! (oh don't forget high temp fluid)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the porterfield pads & they are cool but i only replaced the front pads & front rotors with new factory rotors. Now at about 5-7000 miles later i get this winding down noise that really isn't loud but sounds like the rotor is damaged or warped. Should i have used slotted or cross drilled rotors since they are racing brake pads? Also should i have changed the rears as well, cause i'm thinking i should have since they are the factory ones & i've read complaints about them on the board before?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts