LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

Curious if your GTO seems to have soft brakes. Mine work great, and I also tested the ABS which worked fine. It just seems there is a lot of travel with the pedal before the brakes engage, at which point they do their job well.

Is this normal? Maybe i'm not used to them, but I expected them to "grab" sooner without having to push the pedal down so far.

Thanks for replies!

·
Registered
392 Posts
christopherxy1, same here... They do stop. ABS does work... There is some travel... On Speedvison special with the 04 GTO... They also said same... The driver was doing a power stop from 130mph.. seem to be a little fade... How many of us have to power
brake from130??? I guess they could add (4wheel) 13" vented rotors/double piston calipters(all around) would help... Cos

·
Registered
115 Posts
Soft brake pedal feel was my first complaint with the car. I traded an Isuzu VehiCross in for the GTO and it had %100 better pedal feel. I'm hoping that braided steel brake lines will help this.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Yep, soft brakes that felt like you had to press way too far to make it stop.

Fixed that though, my pedal feel after the PBR brake upgrade is firm and the car stops quick and smooth. Likely the only way to fix the stock squish is to replace the stock parts...

·
HOTROD HANDYMAN
434 Posts
I found that one light pump of the pedal before you apply them and the pedal is much higher and firmer. I had this similar problem some years back with another car that had a modified braking system and a 1lb residual pressure valve fixed the problem. I'm not sure if they will work with ABS or not, But if the brakes are bothering you look into that as a possible fix. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Which calipers did you use, 2Cool? I haven't even had the wheels off the car yet, so I guess I'm just being a little lazy :) That was my first complaint on the test drive -- I'm used to the LS1 F-body brakes, where they hit nice and quick without much dead play at the top of the pedal travel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Superwildcat,, yeah, I also notice a quick hit of the pedal and it firms up.. But don't know why???... Cos

Also, 2cool.. nice Rotors and calipers... Cos :hail:

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Brains, they are the PBR twin piston calipers and rotors, used as an upgrade on the Monaro in Australia. 13" front rotors and 12.4" rears, as used on their HSV VY performance models, and a direct bolt in replacement for our US squishy brakes. Also replaces the rubber lines with braided, which also helps pedal feel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How much did that PBR brake upgrade set you back? Did you have them shipped from Australia or can you get them in the US?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too would like rough price on brake kit as well as length of time to install. Also, would it be fairly easy to go back to stock brake setup when you wanted to unload the GTO.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brakes Soft?? I tried....

Felt the same as others in this thread... After about 1000 miles and a couple of hard stops in NYC traffic the peddle came up some. I then did the old back up and stop hard, then go forward and stop hard about three times and the peddle came up some more. Now with about 2500 miles, it feels GM normal.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
This is the one thing that messes with me when I drive the GTO then drive the Cavalier, the Cavalier is like slamming on the brakes when you barely press the pedal. That and the automatic transmission in the Cavalier :)

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Once stainless brake lines are available that will fix the pedal feel problem. Rubber lines can flex a little and give you a soft pedal. Also, if you have a little air in the system that can do it too!

Doc

·
Gentlemen, behold!
160 Posts
I'm curious what the PBR setup costs, too.

-Chris

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
according to the automotive press, the 04 GTOs DO have soft brakes, so this trend appears to be the norm for our model year. The 05 Goats promse to have a larger, fermer brake setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts