LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing the GTO today and I guess the Wheaties kicked in because I thought I broke my side mirror. It snapped and folded back toward the rear.

Well, gee whiz, I didn't know the mirrors DID that. It's obviously a "feature". Both mirrors will "break away" and fold back toward the rear. I guess that's for when you clip those road markers on the outside of the hairpin turn.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Or...

FLORIT said:
I was washing the GTO today and I guess the Wheaties kicked in because I thought I broke my side mirror. It snapped and folded back toward the rear.

Well, gee whiz, I didn't know the mirrors DID that. It's obviously a "feature". Both mirrors will "break away" and fold back toward the rear. I guess that's for when you clip those road markers on the outside of the hairpin turn.
Or when you need to zoom down a narrow alley to avoid getting bagged... :secret:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
FLORIT said:

or too improve your visiblity when auto-xing.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
So....

yourguyry said:
They also brake away forward.
So that ladies on the sidewalk can check their make-up... :wall:

·
3,327 Posts
It also makes for easy drying of the car after washing. Thats one area that I have found that holds a LOT of wash and rinse water.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Warren said:
It also makes for easy drying of the car after washing. Thats one area that I have found that holds a LOT of wash and rinse water.
Explain please because I cant stand the fact water collect inside the mirrors. I stick tishue in there to try and dry these things but it never dries enough. I'v been tempted to drill drian holes in each one.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
mlc said:
Explain please because I cant stand the fact water collect inside the mirrors. I stick tishue in there to try and dry these things but it never dries enough. I'v been tempted to drill drian holes in each one.
Get on the freeway, aim the mirrors all the way up, and the water will drain out rapidly.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
mistermike said:
Get on the freeway, aim the mirrors all the way up, and the water will drain out rapidly.
But that's what I'm trying not to do. Drain the water while moving. All that does is leave spots alone the doors. :mad:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Maybe I'm fortunate or something but both previous vehicles I owned had mirrors that break away, and so do both of my parent's vehicles...Is this feature that unusual?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
phobos512 said:
Maybe I'm fortunate or something but both previous vehicles I owned had mirrors that break away, and so do both of my parent's vehicles...Is this feature that unusual?
Maybe they just never realized they do??? All of my cars I've had in the last 20 yrs have... hmmmm

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I was *really* thankful to have these on my last car - I have only a 1 car garage with my apartment and I caught the passenger side mirror on the trim around the opening one day when I was backing out...It just popped back instead of getting torn off. *phew*

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huntress said:
Maybe they just never realized they do??? All of my cars I've had in the last 20 yrs have... hmmmm
Yeah, that's how it was for me. I didn't realize they DO "break away" and it surprised me. Neat trick, though, and I'll remember it during the next washing.

·
3,327 Posts
tiggerfan said:
Leaf blower my friend. Seriously.
I have used this trick before too. :gr_jest:
I usually just flip them forward/backward and let it "flip" the water out when they snap back. It doesnt get all the water out like the leafblower, but is better than trying to stick the edge of a towel under the mirror.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My dad told me the weirdest thing was the first time he went to Europe and driving in Paris realized why the europeans designed that feature in the first place. He said it's common proactice fro vehicles to 'snap' mirrors through intersections and such. And we think we have bad road rage here...
Dan

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Damn the water keeps dripping from the mirrors even after I dry the car and it seems like it wont stop running down the door and leaving spots.........I never knew they were break away......I am going to try that next time I wash......

·
Registered
1 Posts
side mirror help

My side mirror on the passenger side was shattered in a recent accident. I believe the break away feature is what saved it from retaining any further damage. The mirror still functions properly and there is only minor damage to the casing around it. I need to know if I can have only the mirror itself replaced as opposed to buying a whole new one. I think there was also a slight curve in the glass, will this be a problem?

·
Wearing a beanie... :)
329 Posts
Its to make the car more aerodynamic at the track :secret: With the side mirrors folded back, people should be able to do flat 13.s with the 04s :slap: :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts