LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread has been discussed before, but I wouldnt mind getting some advice. I keep seeing, and hearing different opinions. Some say to take it easy, vary RPMs and do not go over 65 during break in. Some say to let her rip, and drive the car the way you plan on driving it. Some go in-between. Then there is the milage. Break in at 500 miles. Break in at 1000 miles.

I think that CMTMXR57 said that he had 173, but I saw the burn-out video a while back, and I dont think that is part of break-in? I am very thankful about the advice to switch over to Mobil 1 at the 500 mile mark, and I plan on doing just that.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I have never had this type of car, and in 14 days I will :bubbrub It will be soooo tempting to 'see what she is made of'.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
Either follow the book on break in advice or find the link to the site that recommends driving it hard. The worst thing you can do is just get on it once in a while during break in. If you're going to do the hard break in, it has to be very methodical or it won't work right.

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
derf said:
Either follow the book on break in advice or find the link to the site that recommends driving it hard. The worst thing you can do is just get on it once in a while during break in. If you're going to do the hard break in, it has to be very methodical or it won't work right.

I agree. If there are going to be times when you run it hard then do it from the beginning. I would push mine at least once a day before the 500 mile period. I took it up to the red line at those times. I have just about 1000 on it now. Changed the oil at 500 and went with Mobile 1. Used to race a
B-Gas Dragster and we would hit that thing hard right out of the garage. Of course we never got 100000 miles on an engine. But the way GM has engineered and built the LS1, if the proper maintenance is done on it, it will not only perform but also last.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That little burnout I did was with about 50 miles on the car. Lest not be confused here, that one little burnout IS NOT how I drive it all the time.

You'll want to mix up your driving some. A little highway, A little stop and go, a little moderate acceleration, etc, etc.

That breaif 30 seconds or so was my exuberance (and craziness). Otherwise I moderate, wind it up to 4-5k occasionally and generally mix it up.

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CMNTMXR57 said:
That little burnout I did was with about 50 miles on the car. Lest not be confused here, that one little burnout IS NOT how I drive it all the time.

You'll want to mix up your driving some. A little highway, A little stop and go, a little moderate acceleration, etc, etc.

That breaif 30 seconds or so was my exuberance (and craziness). Otherwise I moderate, wind it up to 4-5k occasionally and generally mix it up.
Thank you for the imput. So I am safe to make my own burnout video?? :D :D :D I kind of planned on a little craziness from time to time, but I will probably take it pretty easy. I will have 100 miles on it about 3 hours after I pick it up, but they are relatively untraveled highways. Plan to vary speeds between 55 and 80 the whole way

I figured that was how you drove all the time. Thank you for correcting me. :slap:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
A little craziness never hurt anyone! There is nothing wrong with shredding some BFG's now and then. :)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
A little craziness never hurt anyone! There is nothing wrong with shredding some BFG's now and then. :)
Waddaya gonna do after you get the tires you REALLY want? :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
For the cost of them, I won't spin them at all!!! :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to most owners manuals, most break-ins are up to the 300 mile mark. Plan on your vehicle consuming oil in that time as well. You should try not to keep constant RPMs - but long drives are recommended (if that makes sense). You should also take a few times to go all the way through the RPMS (yes to redline).

IMHO - these motors are almost bullet proof. I've been abusing (within reason) my SS for a while and she still purs like a kitten. I am the follower of the break it in like you wanna drive it.

·
Si vis pacem, paro bellum
761 Posts
So people are recommending Mobil 1 at the 500 mark. Does anyone know what fluid is being used in the gear box? Would it be feasible to change it out with BG Synchroshift? Just a few questions I've been pondering.
Mike

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Hollywood said:
So people are recommending Mobil 1 at the 500 mark. Does anyone know what fluid is being used in the gear box? Would it be feasible to change it out with BG Synchroshift? Just a few questions I've been pondering.
Mike
I'll be using Royal Purple Synchro Max.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Damn... you beat me too it...
I used Royal Purple Syncromesh in my SS - It actually made shifting the car easier and quieter. My Pro 5.0 carries the gear noise right up the stick. I can't say enough good stuff about Royal Purple. I use all their fluids!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Redline D4 ATF is in mine. I have yet to blow a synchro despite the added heat from hitting it with 500 or so flywheel hp.

As to when to go Mobil 1, I wouldn't change it to Mobil 1 until the 5,000 - 6,000 mile mark as the LS1 doesn't fully loosen up until that point.

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CMNTMXR57 said:
Redline D4 ATF is in mine. I have yet to blow a synchro despite the added heat from hitting it with 500 or so flywheel hp.

As to when to go Mobil 1, I wouldn't change it to Mobil 1 until the 5,000 - 6,000 mile mark as the LS1 doesn't fully loosen up until that point.
Will it hurt to change at the 500 mile mark? Or just a waste of money? :sneaky:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Corvette motors are *supposedly* broken in some before they even get into the customers hands.

And no, it won't hurt to change the trans fluid at 500. The trans doesn't have a break in issue like the engine necessarily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts