LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Let's Build Some Hurtin Bombs
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my tails tinted black and I never realized how low the visability is at night. Cops are starting to go after me as well as the safety concearns. I already use the hyperwhite ones and they dont make much diffrence. Is there a bulb out there that is very bright, and would make a diffrence with tinted tails. Also I have the aftermarket wireing harnice so what number bulb would I need. Any links would be great...Thanks

·
Let's Build Some Hurtin Bombs
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flashpoint said:
The inside of the housing would need to be modded for those to be any brighter.
Ok thanks, to go along with that, the last two weeks or so I have been having trouble with the 2 brake lights staying on, I went ahead and changed one of the tailight bulbs that was out and that worked for a few days but now it is still sticking this only happens at night when I have the head an tail lights on. Anyone have had or know why this is going on??? thanx

·
Cosmos M6 - RIP PBM M6 -375hp
418 Posts
Would it be possible to go with a "bigger" bulb/LED? I found these at Autolumination and they have some stacked LED bulbs. Pricey, but might be what you're looking for. I tinted my tails a few weeks ago, so I might have to try something similar.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Why would you want to go brighter, dont you want the cops not to see you. Chuch

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
When I had my Tahoe, I sprayed the inside of the housing and had the same problem. I remedied by taking some sand paper to the inside of the housings. It was still tinted, but sanding it allowed a LOT more light to come through and I never had a problem after that. Just a thought....

·
What the....
2,590 Posts
Just be careful with brighter bulbs. That ususally means more heat which ultimately could melt the housing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try 2357's. and get the transparent ambers for best light through the tint. They still look red but sharper (kinda like the blue dot effect but more subtle.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Has anyone tried 2357's or 2357NA's like I have in my Goat? They are brighter and the amber really stands them out with the brakes applied.

·
"Power Abuser"
1,080 Posts
BLACKTHUNDERGTO said:
I have my tails tinted black and I never realized how low the visability is at night. Cops are starting to go after me as well as the safety concearns. I already use the hyperwhite ones and they dont make much diffrence. Is there a bulb out there that is very bright, and would make a diffrence with tinted tails. Also I have the aftermarket wireing harnice so what number bulb would I need. Any links would be great...Thanks

Tinted taillights is a ticket where I'm at. Big no, no.

Also if you get rearended plan on paying for the damage to both cars. My bet is your insurance company won't back you if they find out your taillights were tinted. My 2 cents is remove the tint to save the headache.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
sometimes the tint is worth the head ache. Theres no point of him sanding the lights considering that the reason they are darkened is because he wanted dark lights? lol. why do the housings have to be changed for the led bulbs which if you look at that website are VERY bright with some having 40 LEDs on one bulb. There are so many choices that it's just hard to choose.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
jamesbiz said:
....why do the housings have to be changed for the led bulbs which if you look at that website are VERY bright with some having 40 LEDs on one bulb. There are so many choices that it's just hard to choose.
Because LEDs are directional light bulbs, meaning they only light up a narrow pattern in the direction the LED is pointed. A regular lightbulb lights up everything 360 degrees around the bulb. Standard light housings are designed to have the light filament at the proper focal length of the lens/reflector and take all the light comming from the bulb and project it out of the housing. LED bulbs will only have a few LEDs at the proper focal length, the rest of the LED light is wasted because they are not pointed/located in the right spot.

·
Clowface 2016
318 Posts
jamesbiz said:
you don't think THIS would work the way our stock bulbs work??? lol

No, that won't work in our housings. The LEDs wont work for the brake lights in our housings, unless you were to open the housing and cut out that stupid reflector dome. That reflector dome soaks up all the light coming from the LED bulb and it is barely visible during the day, and looks like a normal dim stop lamp at night when the break is pressed. I took my LEDs out of the tails and put regular bulbs back in until my VX tails get here, then I will try to see if they are brighter in those, since there is no dome reflector in those. All my other bulbs stayed LED though

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
jamesbiz said:
you don't think THIS would work the way our stock bulbs work??? lol
Those are the best type of LED bulb to buy but they won't necessarily give you more light output at all angles. I've looked at those and I have LED bulbs in my entire interior and exterior license plate and side markers. I don't use LEDs for the other bulbs because I don't like the non uniform light output you get.

If you think they'll work for your needs then by all means go get them, just don't assume they'll be better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts