LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After farting around long enough and having Magnuson look at the shops tune and they were like - OMG way messed up I just broke down and bought the stupid smartchips tuner from them for the A4. Its not supposed to lock the pcm and magnuson said its about 97% totally tuned, and I would be able to tweek more out if I wanted to.

:rolleyes: bummer, have to put off the exhaust for another month or two now.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I think you will get more power out of the car with a good tune then with a cat-back exhaust. Once you get it installed and drive it you will forget about the $$$ on the tuner!

Doc

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I agree. Some folks make pretty good power with stock exhaust. I thought the micro tuner came with the Magnuson kit.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and No
Yes normally and they will not warrenty it if you chose no.
BUT the shop I had do it spoke to magnuson and since I got the s/c before they had this tune they gave them the ok to use their tune.
WELL was that a SNAFU.

This unfortunately proved what many people say about this shop, they sometimes do a good job, but most people end up with dead engines. Luckily I play around enough with LS1's and tuning in that I was able to log and see there were problems.

GOD help any poor person that just went there and thought this was correct from the shop.

Please NOTE: I did not name the shop, no reason to give positive or negative press. If ever specifically asked I would have to say to avoid them. :( The install of the SC was done correct from what I see, but trust me I plan on double checking all bolts and hoses now. pulling out the ole torque wrench and making sure they are all exact.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
question: why in the heck would you take your GTO to shop with a "questionable" reputation?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were the only one certified where I live to put the m/c in.

My buddy is ase certified also and worse case would have been to have him look everything over.

We would have put it in but didn't want to mess around with it. We did both our cam, valvetrain, headers, exhaust, rotors, and calipers along with the tunes on my SS and his WS-6. I am sure we could have but wanted the warrenty.

I figured a new car, new s/c that they could not screw it up to bad, well install looks ok, just the tune was way off.

YES I KNOW STUPID ME. I admit it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the superchips tuner today from Magnuson and flashed it.
Sure feels stronger. It was misting :( so couldn't hit the strip. Hopefully its dry tomorrow, Rockingham has a test and tunes night. At least see how its doing.
Pulling the tune now to see what is so different.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
kick_*ss said:
Got the superchips tuner today from Magnuson and flashed it.
Sure feels stronger. It was misting :( so couldn't hit the strip. Hopefully its dry tomorrow, Rockingham has a test and tunes night. At least see how its doing.
Pulling the tune now to see what is so different.
Id be interested to see what happin with the tune.
If and when I get blown I think I will use there tune also

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you now it sounds much better, pulls alot harder too.
Wasn't trying to save a buck, just hoped the shop who installed it would have known what they were doing.

WRONG!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
kick_*ss said:
Wasn't trying to save a buck, just hoped the shop who installed it would have known what they were doing.

WRONG!!!!
Thanks will use there tune unless DY wants to play with it when I get it.
Maybe by spring time :secret:

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
kick_*ss said:
You have some faith in a program that was made by a person that has never scanned/datalogged your car or even been close to it.

I would test it on the dyno before testing how it feels on the street.

I'm sure its ok, but you never know.

I'm not talking about power at all, just safety.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DevilYellow said:
You have some faith in a program that was made by a person that has never scanned/datalogged your car or even been close to it.

I would test it on the dyno before testing how it feels on the street.

I'm sure its ok, but you never know.

I'm not talking about power at all, just safety.

Faith in Magnuson? I would hope they have an A4 GTO there to get baselines on.

Which is why they give a conservative tune. They even said I "could" tweek more out but that was up to me. And I plan on doing just that :D

I pulled the tune of and pretty interesting, not a ton of stuff done but it makes sense on what they did.

1. removed tq management
2. shift points raised
3. speed limiter raised ;) no vette is going to keep going up to 175 when I would have hit the 160 limiter. ( this happened to me in the SS really pissed me off, only loss in the SS but it was a z06 so at least it was not a ricer :( ) btw: 160 is really fast ;)

Interesting tune:
little to concerservative but I understand why.

·
Banned
915 Posts
This is interesting. I am looking into supercharger. I don't know much about the techical part of it. I went o a high performance shop and the guy did ask me if my choice of sc would provide the chip for the tune. i did not knopw waht he was talking about ans simply said I thought it did. He said that since I have an automatic that he had concerns about the transmission. He expalined something about the way the auto transmission shifts gear it sort of slips into gear and that for the added power this was notproper and that thius had to be dealt with. I did not understand all he said but bottom line is that you don't just bolt on a sc and go ahead driving as usual because the added power wil ruin the transmission and something has to be done so that the transmssion shifts harder or higher or something like that.

I may sound ignorant and you are right but could any of you take the time and explain to me things you did to put on this sc so that i get a better idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts