LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just had something interesting happen to me, i was driving on the road racin around, and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and snap. The shifter broke in 1/2, the metal rod just snapped in 2 peices, so i had to reach for the little peice of metal left and play with it to shift and get home. Had the car towed to the dealership and just got a call yesterday from the service manager, and they said they wouldn't replace it under warranty, because it's normal wear and tear, and abuse. They said and i quote, "you either had a 500lb chick riding your shifter, or never used the clutch" , which neither is true. I am pissed, the car only has 3500 miles, i called pontiac customer service and they said they would open a case for me, and she called the dealership to verify the problem, and they said once again, normal wear and tear and possible abuse, so the regional service manager is going to make the final decision as to if it is covered under warranty or not, ohh ya and it's going to take 2 weeks for him to get around to the dealership to look at it., so i have no GTO nor a rental for 2 weeks, i was told that if i wanted to pay for my own rental that i would be reimbursed up to $35 a day by GM if the claim was approved, if it was denied, then i have to pay for the renatal myself, and also the tow from my house to the dealership for the car.... What the hell is the point of a warranty if it isnt going to cover anything on the damn car ! help me i am NOT paying the dealership $475 to put a new shift knob on, it should be covered... I could care less about the rental car, i'll just drive my H2, but still, its the fact of the matter.

Terry

·
Registered
835 Posts
Have you looked at the clutch service bullitin and did your car shift very hard before you broke the stick? Maybe, if you had the hard clutch, it may have contributed to the failure and you may want to bring that up when you talk to the service manager.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've read other people have slammed the shifter so hard their hand slides off and hits the dash. Now if people like that aren't breaking the shifter you shouldn't be able too either. It was defective. Fight it.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
27 Posts
I would definitely fight that. That is not "normal wear and tear". Car companies are looking for more and more ways of getting out of spending $$ to replace parts.

Jose

·
3,327 Posts
Sounds like bull to me. If that happened with "Normal wear and tear" or even "Abuse?" how strong are these things? :bs: Plus, the 500lb chick riding your shifter comment is very VERY unprofessional. I hope you told Pontiac about that.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
you need to start dating a fat chick, then tell them your pretty new girlfriend is a bit heavy and you felt uncomfortable by their comment. Then sue those bastards for slander(or mental damage).

·
2,432 Posts
Warren said:
Sounds like bull to me. If that happened with "Normal wear and tear" or even "Abuse?" how strong are these things? :bs: Plus, the 500lb chick riding your shifter comment is very VERY unprofessional. I hope you told Pontiac about that.
The taternuts sig still makes me laugh. Add that right after a 500lb chick riding your shifter comment and it's too much.

·
3,327 Posts
AmesGTO said:
The taternuts sig still makes me laugh. Add that right after a 500lb chick riding your shifter comment and it's too much.
I laugh about the taternuts too, you should have been there.

Lets not tell Pontiac about that, huh?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I don't get how anybody can claim wear and tear on a shifter lever. I've never heard of one 'wearing out' and breaking over time. That is complete BS. We only get 36k miles warranty and they aren't going to even cover piddly things like that? I think we've found the biggest problem with Pontiac trying to compete w/ the euro sedans with this car - the dealerships. Between sales and service - they are killing this car.
Dan

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Holy crap man. How the heck can you snap the shifter in half ??? Especially after 3500 miles. I share the disbelief that your dealer gave you but that was uncalled for to put the blame on you "fat chick, no clutch use". What an ass.

I hope you can get this figured out. I would love to hear some theories on how this happened.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Adam4356 said:
Holy crap man. How the heck can you snap the shifter in half ??? Especially after 3500 miles. I share the disbelief that your dealer gave you but that was uncalled for to put the blame on you "fat chick, no clutch use". What an ass.

I hope you can get this figured out. I would love to hear some theories on how this happened.
Well, if I understand this right, the metal handle of the shifter snapped in half. If that were the case, then it was likely a bad batch of metal piping, either strength wise or in the thickness of the tubing.

The bad thing is, in either of those cases, the problem is not likely to only show itself once.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
:bomb: Did you sneeze on it?
You know that the the speed of a sneeze is nearly 600 mph :slap:
Don't let them push you around ask for the regional rep to come out.
The more you bitch the more likley customer satisfaction will kick in with the dealer and they will resolve the problem.
JMHO
Dan

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Holeshot said:
:bomb: Did you sneeze on it?
You know that the the speed of a sneeze is nearly 600 mph :slap:
Don't let them push you around ask for the regional rep to come out.
The more you bitch the more likley customer satisfaction will kick in with the dealer and they will resolve the problem.
JMHO
Dan
According to what I just looked up the fastest sneeze ever was 165km/h or 102mph. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
phobos512 said:
According to what I just looked up the fastest sneeze ever was 165km/h or 102mph. Hmm...
I was just trying to make lite of the thread LOL
O.K . so I streeeeeeeeeeetched it

·
Registered
244 Posts
Biggest load of bollocks I've heard for a long time!

And the comment about the 500 Lb - just make a compalint to the Sex Discrimination Board in your State and step back!!

Mike

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
phobos512 said:

Yeh, but what's the speed of a 500 lb fat chick sneeze? I'm sure it's faster then 102 mph. You know, larger diaphram (well??? Larger everything :eek2: ) . It helps FORCE the air out faster . . .:gr_jest:

Hold On :bomb:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I too, feel this is a load of Bull Pattys. I think the problem was was "racin around" used
at the Dealership??? The magic word to slip in abuse!!! Now, come on Pontiac you talk about high performance/old GTO car!!! The Movie Last Ride was no sunday church drive!!! Question, How did the early GTO's 64-67 hold up???? ..Cos

1 - 20 of 90 Posts