LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys as the title says i broke a stub today.:banghead: i knew it was coming eventually. anyways how hard is it to replace? i havent really looked at it too much yet im waiting to see if the dealer will cover it under warranty tomorrow but just incase they dont whats involved? do i need to pull the diff cover off and remove a C clip or some sort of retainer or does it come out once you unbolt the cv from the stub? any help is greatly appreciated

while i was under there i also noticed that all the bolts holding the cv to the stub were loose and i could take them out by hand. it also sprayed grease from the inside of the axle all over the underside of my car. so to all with an 04 (read that it was a common prob on early 04s) i would suggest checking them out

·
Banned
12,011 Posts
JProff said:
hey guys as the title says i broke a stub today.:banghead: i knew it was coming eventually. anyways how hard is it to replace? i havent really looked at it too much yet im waiting to see if the dealer will cover it under warranty tomorrow but just incase they dont whats involved? do i need to pull the diff cover off and remove a C clip or some sort of retainer or does it come out once you unbolt the cv from the stub? any help is greatly appreciated

while i was under there i also noticed that all the bolts holding the cv to the stub were loose and i could take them out by hand. it also sprayed grease from the inside of the axle all over the underside of my car. so to all with an 04 (read that it was a common prob on early 04s) i would suggest checking them out
Sheesh, how many HP you pushing at the wheels, you are not stock are you?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pretty much stock besides bassani cb and a k&n drop in.. i just put in the k&n earlier this week.. all that added hp must have done it :drink: haha i barely ever drive my car nicely thats y it broke

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
The bolts backing out could cause the axle stub to break...many threads on similar happenings with some of the 04's; definitely warranty - no way in hell the small bolt-ons you added caused this problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha i was joking about the k&n causing it.. im pretty sure it broke bc i beat the hell out of it.. i bought it to enjoy it not to drive it like grandma so i expect these things to happen.. hopefully ill get it back soon!

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
JProff said:
haha i was joking about the k&n causing it.. im pretty sure it broke bc i beat the hell out of it.. i bought it to enjoy it not to drive it like grandma so i expect these things to happen.. hopefully ill get it back soon!
In other words you beat the crap out of the car then ask us why things happen? :confused:

ROK :eek2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ROKS ROCKET said:
In other words you beat the crap out of the car then ask us why things happen? :confused:

ROK :eek2:
NOOO my original question was whats involved with replacing the stub but things got a lil ot i guess

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
There are clips that hold the stubs in. No c clips, more like spring clips. A little preassure with a pry bar, and they will slid out. Sounds like you will still need to remove the diff cover. You may also have to remove the other stub to use a punch, and tap out the piece left in the diff gears.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
JProff said:
it also sprayed grease from the inside of the axle all over the underside of my car.
are you sure its grease from the CVs - or could it be gear oil from the diff ??

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would bet that the axle stub is not broken, it takes a good amount of power to take one of those out. I would say that your axle shaft bolts backed out. Now when this happened, it may have hurt the threads in the axle stub. The grease is from the CV, when the bolts loosen, the cap on the CV loosens and lets out the grease. The dealership may fix it, becuase there have been problems with the axle bolts. If you end up having to fix it yourself, I highly recommend using the safety wired bolts that I offer. I offer these out of necessity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hellhammer said:
I would bet that the axle stub is not broken, it takes a good amount of power to take one of those out. I would say that your axle shaft bolts backed out. Now when this happened, it may have hurt the threads in the axle stub. The grease is from the CV, when the bolts loosen, the cap on the CV loosens and lets out the grease. The dealership may fix it, becuase there have been problems with the axle bolts. If you end up having to fix it yourself, I highly recommend using the safety wired bolts that I offer. I offer these out of necessity.
im pretty sure the stub is broken i can grab the cv shaft and wiggle it around like nothin and the stub moves in and out of the diff very freely.. im thinkin it sheard into 2 pieces

1 - 11 of 11 Posts