LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about two weeks ago a friend of mine noticed a clunking coming from the rear when going from reverese to 1st set up a apponment for oct 12th for the dealer. Well today while leaving my road I found out what it was seems they did not tighten the half shaft bolts. I went to shift from 1st to 2nd at about 4500 rpm to 5000 rpm not to hard of a shift but a descent one and traction control was on and it sounded like I mised 2nd pushed clutch in and let back out and nothing I was like wtf?! heard a clunking noised coming from the back so I coast into the gas station as I hear parts falling out onto the parking lot. I pick up all the pieces 4 bolts 2 hold down pieces and the cover that holds the grease in. So now im stuck with a pontiac vibe (which I hate sorry to any vibe owners) for a rental!!! when I bought this car and from what I have read in the fourms that this is a tsb and a know problem and the dealer had taken care of all of these! Im very angrey at the moment *Sigh* Here are some pictures I will upload a video to my webserver later had to take pictures and video with my phone. As you can see the bolts are fine not twisted and no thread damage just *fell out* Im just glad this did not fall off when i was going faster imagine that halfshaft smacking the underside of the car doing 70! this needs to be brought to pontiacs attiton that this is a serious problem and recall the vehicals as this has to be a safety concern as well! who else here has this happned I know i was seeing posts just last night about These cars doing this but around 700 - 900 miles mine has exatley 5,550 miles..... !

·
Registered
367 Posts
AAAHHH!!! You didn't get a flatbed?!?!? AAAHHH!!

Sorry, kills me to see the 'hooks of death' hooked up to any vehicle.

I need to go visually inspect my bolts just to make sure. Hope all works out for you.

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im lucky I waited there for it as pontiac roadside told the towtruck company it was FWD I rode with him all the way there to the dealer after waiting an hour for the towtruck and he told me to push it out so he could hook to the front i was like i don't think so!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
damn that sucks, I thought I broke that the other night at the track, I heard a clunk from right rear as I was doing around 90 at the end of the track. Everything was ok i my case.

Goodluck, yes this should be a real priority with the dealers and a recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although I don't doubt that this is a real problem for the GTO, it amazes me, because that same IRS assembly has been used by Holden since 1992. During this time, I personally have owned 5 vehicles with the same IRS setup, and I have had no problems, and I questioned the Holden Dealer Senior Tech whether they have had this problem of Axle bolt failure, nope - he had never heard of it. The service sample here would be thousands of them, so what did Holden do wrong when they set these up for the GTO?
Guys in NZ and Australia, drag race these things into the high 9's, and only have ring gear or axle (not axle bolt) failures. Has there never been a recall?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Not a recall, but a service bulletin.

·
Got Torque?
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huntress said:
Not a recall, but a service bulletin.
My dealer is supposdely going to replace and re torque all unsold gto's on the lot as I printed out some posts from here :) and said this is not an uncommon problem. When asked why this is not a recall she stated that in her 13 years of service for gm that she still does not know what proscess gm takes to make a recall she figures if it happens enough and that it is a saftey reason that it might turn into a recall. I stated now imagine if I was doing 65 on the highway or faster imagine what that half shaft would of done! Hopefully gm will make a recall! I wonder if this has anything to do with the locking axle bolts they use during shipping. Who is resbonbile for removing those and torqueing the bolts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had my axle bolts fall out in July and had to fight with the dealership to get it fixed, another guy had problems because the dealership told him he had too much stuff in his trunk. I started the axle bolt registry so others that had the problem had some info to help them at the dealerships. The dealers probably didn't even report a few of these mishaps, so the process of GM doing something has been hampered.

Dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your lucky they brought to hooks of death. On mine when by ABS braking system went out with 300 miles on it they brought the flatbed. Ha they tore the better part of the front end of my car off while dragging it onto the flatbed with the front tires in the air. I told them they were going to do it before it happened and the driver said he didn't care and that he was not responsible. At that point I owned a new GTO that was broken and wrecked.

·
$30,000? ...Paint Optional?!?
3,495 Posts
What are last 8 or so digits on your VIN, I am hoping they fixed this issue,
so am not paranoid for the next few months.

·
Phantom Black M6
9 Posts
Back in late August '04 I had my GTO at the dealer for an oil change. I was at 600 miles. They had a red GTO, brought in for service because of half shaft bolts being sheared off. The story related to me was the car was in the hands of an eighteen year old and was put through hard driving and lots of burn-outs. Seems in his case, besides the bolts, the shafts were also damaged.

While my car was on the rack the tech torqued the shaft bolts as a preventative and he also when over the underside of the car to make sure things were tight.

The staff at my dealer are a conscientious lot. I'm lucky in that respect; but between myself and my Dad we've taken four new vehicles from them over time. They get all our service business and now they get number five, my GTO.

Back to the subject, I'll continue to remain vigilant on service stops but so far no diff, shaft bolt, diff whining issues so far.

Right now 3800 miles, going in on Saturday for oil change.

My VIN is 6G2VX12G14L245306

Regards,
Mike

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Wow that is horrible. I do not know much about the half shaft bolts. Should every GTO have them tightened? Does it matter what transmission your GTO is?

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
TprGTO said:
Wow that is horrible. I do not know much about the half shaft bolts. Should every GTO have them tightened? Does it matter what transmission your GTO is?
Does anyone have an answer?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was told that they need to be replaced. However, I don't believe they are actually torque to yield bolts. So far the cars that have had the bolts fall out have all been manual trans cars.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts