LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
goat love
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, all i can say is that i was expecting it to happen, but i wish i could have gotten a couple of runs in.

first the setup:
fast 90 intake with rails
ported TB
heads and cam
kooks long tubes (jet hotted)
corsa sport
volant cai
3.91s
kaaz rear
harrop cover
oil catch can (really irrelevant)
and finally the cause: mt street ets 235s on bmw 15s

i launched mediocure cause it was the first time on the mts, 60' was around 2s and i left at about 2200rpm.

the car bogged a little (expected), then right at the 1-2 shift, that is all she wrote. the car squated harder than i ever felt (so much it rubbed a hole in the wheel well)

here's a quick vid of it (thanks impulsivegoat) http://media.putfile.com/Dennis-hits-11s-but-Paco-breaks

and here's the damage (thanks dave):


midwest, you all will be getting a phone call tomorrow.

also, im planning on getting the stubs and shafts. i still have the stock clutch and feel that it would give before the drive shaft, but to be a little safer i'm investing in a driceshaft loop. do you all think the drive shaft will give out before the clutch? do you think i should just eat it and get the driveshaft now? let me know. thanks.

also, here are my thoughts on the mt's...stupid stickey is the only way i can describe them. i ran nittos and they have nothing on the mt's. granted i had the nittos on the 17" rims, i dont think they are on the same level.
 

·
Member #804
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
MT when heated up grip like crazy, I've launched 4000rpm motor would still bog, no wheel hop, 1.7 60' header only GTO.

Did you you need a tow to get home?
 

·
goat love
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GMH GTO said:
MT when heated up grip like crazy, I've launched 4000rpm motor would still bog, no wheel hop, 1.7 60' header only GTO.

Did you you need a tow to get home?
that is the 60' im shooting for, how long on the burn outs?
nope, drove it home...j/p

AAA plus member covers tows up to 100miles for free after that its 3$/mile
it was towed 97 miles :)

Jbss71 said:
you were waaaaay past due on a m6 to tear something up
two months ago or so was the whole rear ended gernaded :bomb:
 

·
Owns 3 GTO's
Joined
·
16,515 Posts
This is why I keep asking questions abou these parts. I was afraid of snapping an axle stub or shaft yesterday at the track. Was running 245 DR's. Just hate driving 200 miles to race, and break something. Sucks having to go home, find a trailer, and go back up to get the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
Black Devil said:
This is why I keep asking questions abou these parts. I was afraid of snapping an axle stub or shaft yesterday at the track. Was running 245 DR's. Just hate driving 200 miles to race, and break something. Sucks having to go home, find a trailer, and go back up to get the car.
i used to worry about stuff like that. but if you want to play you have to be ready for tearin shit up. thats one of hte many reasons why a stalled auto is the better for track use. your are less likey to tear shit up.
 

·
goat love
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nmbr1GMfan said:
I can see a consistant "wheel hopper" to break this stuff but not a 2.0 60'. Some boardmembers here are running QUICK with stock rear components.
i have yet to experience wheel hop from launching at the track (i've launched at various rpms as well). but the shaft did not break on the launch, but from the 1-2 shift.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,011 Posts
This shocks me, this is the second I have seen today.

I have launched consistently below 2.0 with DRs puttin down 470 at the wheels (cam, headers) on the juice with an M6...there has got to be more to the story?
 

·
goat love
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RKT SHP said:
so how much power is your setup putting down
wish that was an easy question to answer.
we're having issues with tuning and think injectors might be a problem along with some kind of rear end mechanical problem as well. when we had it on the dyno last (i wasnt there), they told me that the car stop unusally fast after a pull and in neutral. before i installed the fast, posi, and gears the car made 434/411. after the fast, gears, and posi it read 420 with 40lb/ft lose from 2000-4500rpm (experiencing the unusual slow down). the initial pull was around 390 and the tuner made it all the way back up to 420 without advancing the timing because he's trying to figure out the problem. he said the fuel tables are manipulated very unorthadox than he would like to have it to be able to obtain a steady a/f. im going to swap injectors and go from there.

also, when the ebrake is applied and "catches" it sounds very mechanical, in a sense, that its more like gears are catching and not the brakes. when it does "catch" from a slight roll, there is no transition, its like it's binary, on or off.

but what's interesting is a c6 with h/c/e put down 452 (can't remember tq) the same day. they also test drove the c6 and my car and said that my car seemed to pull harder than the c6. even when i got back in it the front end lifted a lot higher than before (and this was on nitto 555 street tires and spinning).

after thinking about the halfshaft snaping like it did and the slow down on the dyno, i wonder if there was a little premature failure while on the dyno. one last note, after i did my burn out in the box and let off the throttle the tires were still spinning (naturally), but when they caught and threw the car forward i heard what i think was the same sound when i pulled the ebrake from a slight roll, gears catching. like they were catching because there was some play in them.

but if i had to put a numerical value on my setup right now, i would say around 440, but i dont know for sure.
 

·
Semper Gumby
Joined
·
496 Posts
And beyond!
 

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
paco loco said:
easy jerry :), i drive the car like it should be driven... to the limits :gears:
OK, so we are even then, you break the driveline and I break the engine. So the score is 2-2.

But I stand on my clutch vs driveshaft comment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
you kno whats crazy about the parking brake thing, my 06 does the same exact thing. with the on-off switch, it's like there is no in between. it's either full on or full off. always have every since i drove it off the dealership lot. i wonder if it is suppose to do this or is something wrong. maybe i should take it in to the dealership. could any of the other M6 guys verify if there cars do this or not.



paco loco said:
wish that was an easy question to answer.
we're having issues with tuning and think injectors might be a problem along with some kind of rear end mechanical problem as well. when we had it on the dyno last (i wasnt there), they told me that the car stop unusally fast after a pull and in neutral. before i installed the fast, posi, and gears the car made 434/411. after the fast, gears, and posi it read 420 with 40lb/ft lose from 2000-4500rpm (experiencing the unusual slow down). the initial pull was around 390 and the tuner made it all the way back up to 420 without advancing the timing because he's trying to figure out the problem. he said the fuel tables are manipulated very unorthadox than he would like to have it to be able to obtain a steady a/f. im going to swap injectors and go from there.

also, when the ebrake is applied and "catches" it sounds very mechanical, in a sense, that its more like gears are catching and not the brakes. when it does "catch" from a slight roll, there is no transition, its like it's binary, on or off.

but what's interesting is a c6 with h/c/e put down 452 (can't remember tq) the same day. they also test drove the c6 and my car and said that my car seemed to pull harder than the c6. even when i got back in it the front end lifted a lot higher than before (and this was on nitto 555 street tires and spinning).

after thinking about the halfshaft snaping like it did and the slow down on the dyno, i wonder if there was a little premature failure while on the dyno. one last note, after i did my burn out in the box and let off the throttle the tires were still spinning (naturally), but when they caught and threw the car forward i heard what i think was the same sound when i pulled the ebrake from a slight roll, gears catching. like they were catching because there was some play in them.

but if i had to put a numerical value on my setup right now, i would say around 440, but i dont know for sure.
 

·
goat love
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bronko91 said:
OK, so we are even then, you break the driveline and I break the engine. So the score is 2-2.

But I stand on my clutch vs driveshaft comment.
yea, but i dont like this game, it's expensive :(

bronko91 said:
I have an '04 and it does the same thing, off or on.
you think it could be the slop in the cv joints that made mine sound like gears?
 

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
paco loco said:
yea, but i dont like this game, it's expensive :(


you think it could be the slop in the cv joints that made mine sound like gears?
Remember with the Harrop any and all sounds generated in the driveline from trans to wheel, you will hear. Although I am sure some of it was chatter from the Kaaz.

when do you want to come over and get the shaft? Supposed to be raining all day tomorrow.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top