LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· GTO
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had squeaking and a clicking noise from the rear suspension rear its ugly head. This is what I found.

This must be recent as the break is not rusty at all. It broke on the drivers side in the bushing.

Hoping to warranty this; may switch to a different bar. It seems I am not the first.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344169&highlight=broken+sway+bar

The bar was very tight in the bushing. It also appears it failed at a seam in the bar.

If you have a Hotchkis, I would look at it closely and make sure it is lubricated well at the bushings.

Pat

· Registered
326 Posts
damn, man. how hard to u push ur car? I am running Hotchis sways also and I push mine to the limit in turns.

what setting do u run on the Xa's in the front and rear? I run 15 up front and 10 in the rear.

did u have to roll ur fenders to get the 265's to clear in the rear. and how did u get the 265's to clear in the front?

· Registered
7,372 Posts
I had squeaking and a clicking noise from the rear suspension rear its ugly head. This is what I found.

This must be recent as the break is not rusty at all. It broke on the drivers side in the bushing.

Hoping to warranty this; may switch to a different bar. It seems I am not the first.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344169&highlight=broken+sway+bar

The bar was very tight in the bushing. It also appears it failed at a seam in the bar.

If you have a Hotchkis, I would look at it closely and make sure it is lubricated well at the bushings.

Pat
Wow, this is becoming more common.

mike
dms

· Owns a slow GTO
7,271 Posts
I agree, Mike. I guess if my rear hotchkis bar breaks I'll be calling up a vendor for the Pedders bars :)

· Always Breaking Things
819 Posts
I'm noticing different locations for the break points on these various bars as well... that's worrisome. Looks like I'll stick with stock until Pedders gets some inventory to come in...

· Premium Member
147 Posts
I'm noticing different locations for the break points on these various bars as well... that's worrisome. Looks like I'll stick with stock until Pedders gets some inventory to come in...
+1...man i would hate to pull all that back apart if mine were to break. pedders it is!

· Missing my little one.
33,552 Posts
Geez that's scary.

Hmm, well one option...if Hotchkis doesn't warranty it and you don't mind have the Hotchkis front still on...is SLP used to sell a rear only bar. Might be a good replacement instead of forking over the cash to buy new bars front and rear.

Though, with the rear breaking I'd be a little concerned about the condition of the front as well.

· I lean in to turn.
341 Posts
I was riding along with a buddy at an autox event when he snapped a front hotchkis bar on his tC. It broke in a similar location as well.

· GTO
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just spoke to Hotchkis. They are sending me out a new one, pretty much no questions asked.

I don't know that I want to trust a new one. This broke on the street. I go to the track 3-4 times a year. It would be a big problem if it broke there.

Does anyone know about the Whitelines? Are they solid or hollow? I may get a pedders but it only has two adjustment holes. How many does the Whiteline have?

Pat

· Registered
7,372 Posts
I just spoke to Hotchkis. They are sending me out a new one, pretty much no questions asked.

I don't know that I want to trust a new one. This broke on the street. I go to the track 3-4 times a year. It would be a big problem if it broke there.

Does anyone know about the Whitelines? Are they solid or hollow? I may get a pedders but it only has two adjustment holes. How many does the Whiteline have?

Pat
What I understand, whiteline does not believe in hollow tubes. They in fact published a paper about how solids are superior to hollow.

mike
dms

· Registered
326 Posts
What I understand, whiteline does not believe in hollow tubes. They in fact published a paper about how solids are superior to hollow.

mike
dms
r pedders sway bars a solid bar?

· I lean in to turn.
341 Posts
Yeah, my buddy didn't know they were hollow either. He also didn't get hassled over a replacement.

· Registered
311 Posts
FastEddy,
That is a material fatigue failure, not a hollow design failure.
The sway bar would have failed even if it was solid (actually the solid one would have failed even earlier if the OD and the material was kept the same). Think about that for a minute and why it would be.

So what material does Pedders use for their bars?

I see DMS has already linked this thread to Camaro5.

WOW. There is a clustersmurf of misinformation in that thread.

· Bottoms Up
869 Posts
FastEddy,
That is a material fatigue failure, not a hollow design failure.
The sway bar would have failed even if it was solid (actually the solid one would have failed even earlier if the OD and the material was kept the same). Think about that for a minute and why it would be.

So what material does Pedders use for their bars?

I see DMS has already linked this thread to Camaro5.

WOW. There is a clustersmurf of misinformation in that thread.
Agreed, you can see the beach marks quite clearly indicating a low cycle fatigue failure. If you heard it squealing the grease may have either dried or somehow left the bushing. No grease in the bushing will cause a huge stress riser due to the bar not being able to rotate. Grease these bitches up like crazy when you install em.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.