LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Nothing
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after too long of a wait, I got the car on Saturday and was so anxious to play with it that I came home, packed some clothes and went on a 1300 mile road trip to break it in. I have not had as much fun with a stock street car since I sold my '00 Corvette. The car is smooth, tight and generally responsive in every aspect. After owning two 4th generation F-Bodies, the GTO is a refreshing change. The interior, ride quality, wind noise, body panel fit and finish, all are a step above the F-body and definitely have German type flare to them.

Now that it is broken in, I am going to the local drag strip tomorrow to see what it will do. Just from seat of the pants, it feels about the same as my 01 WS6 did stock, about 13.5 or so, we'll see. I'll post the results.

Ok, now for the gripes: The rear wing. Not only does it block your view when backing up but I know this a styling issue with a lot of people. I have always thought the rear of this car looked too ricey. The tall quarter panels and fat ass dwarf the already puny looking rear tires. Well, the wing only contributes to this so I took it off to see how it looks. To me, this is the best visual mod you can do to the car, it looks way better without the rear spoiler, kind of BMWish. I will post some pics tonight or tomorrow morning. The only other problem I had with the car is a very loud bushing squeak coming from the left front tire. I basically dealt with it during the whole road trip because it was raining and I figured new bushings + water = squeak. After getting back and putting the car on our lift, I noticed a polyurethane bushing spacer in the front springs. I think these were installed at the plant for transport and my dealer forgot to take them out. They pop right out if the car is jacked up with the tires hanging. Wallah, no more squeak and an added bonus - the nose of the car lowered 3/4". Problem solved on both counts - no more gripes! :)

·
DOG
626 Posts
tterbo said:
Ok, after too long of a wait, I got the car on Saturday and was so anxious to play with it that I came home, packed some clothes and went on a 1300 mile road trip to break it in. I have not had as much fun with a stock street car since I sold my '00 Corvette. The car is smooth, tight and generally responsive in every aspect. After owning two 4th generation F-Bodies, the GTO is a refreshing change. The interior, ride quality, wind noise, body panel fit and finish, all are a step above the F-body and definitely have German type flare to them.

Now that it is broken in, I am going to the local drag strip tomorrow to see what it will do. Just from seat of the pants, it feels about the same as my 01 WS6 did stock, about 13.5 or so, we'll see. I'll post the results.

Ok, now for the gripes: The rear wing. Not only does it block your view when backing up but I know this a styling issue with a lot of people. I have always thought the rear of this car looked too ricey. The tall quarter panels and fat ass dwarf the already puny looking rear tires. Well, the wing only contributes to this so I took it off to see how it looks. To me, this is the best visual mod you can do to the car, it looks way better without the rear spoiler, kind of BMWish. I will post some pics tonight or tomorrow morning. The only other problem I had with the car is a very loud bushing squeak coming from the left front tire. I basically dealt with it during the whole road trip because it was raining and I figured new bushings + water = squeak. After getting back and putting the car on our lift, I noticed a polyurethane bushing spacer in the front springs. I think these were installed at the plant for transport and my dealer forgot to take them out. They pop right out if the car is jacked up with the tires hanging. Wallah, no more squeak and an added bonus - the nose of the car lowered 3/4". Problem solved on both counts - no more gripes! :)
What strip you going to?

Also I'd yell at your dealer for missing that. I have my spacers in my glove box as a keepsake :)

I agree on the rear visibility but I really like the look of the wing, I might be different, but hey, thats what makes this planet great. I'm also used to driving ambulances so not having rear visibility straight back has never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like a try with and without the wing is in order- looks and visibility. Am sure we all will look forward to the numbers. :thumbs:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
tiggerfan said:
I'm also used to driving ambulances so not having rear visibility straight back has never been an issue for me.
Although, if the gurney passes you at an intersection, you know you left the back door open. :drink:

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you remove the wing, you lose the third brake light, unless you install an aftermarket unit. Does anyone else think they're important?

·
Registered
36 Posts
tiggerfan said:
What strip you going to?

I believe he is going to Bradenton. Are you going to be at the car show tonight up by Lowes in Brandon? I wil try and stop by... Starts about 6:30 pm i think...

·
Registered
524 Posts
tterbo said:

What mileage did you get on your road trip?

·
Nothing
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"What strip you going to?"
I am going to Bradenton, I think Test and Tune starts at 6. We should be there around 6:30 or so.

"What mileage did you get on your road trip?"
I was driving consistently between 80-90 mph which was 2500-2700 and averaged 20.4 mpg for the whole trip. I am pretty happy with those numbers. Now that it's broken in, I won't be getting that kind of mileage! ;)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Same complaint I had. Rear wing in the way. I'm starting to lean towards removing it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the rear wing a problem when parallel parking (difficult to determine how far back you can go) and does it also restrict rear visibility while driving?

·
Nothing
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am 5'9" and with the wing installed it is somewhat annoying backing up. It's doable, just not comfortable. This is not the reason I removed it but now that it is gone, the view is much better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
tterbo said:

With the removal of the rear wing weren't there holes left in the trunk lid?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I like the rear wing . AS it has been mentioned before Iuse to drive
truck so limited rear view doe not bother me.
Looking forward to your numbers from the track.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Anyone who has driven in Brazil will come to realize that what's behind you is not important. :drink:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like the wing myself. Course as I may have mentioned I'm pretty sure I'm Batman! Without the wing I'd just be some loser in a rubber suit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thursday night, tonight. I may join him if i get out of work on time. See what my BatMobile can do with some real tires on it. But i am driving it, so probably not much better...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts