LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Daily Driver
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The channel up and down buttons broke off at the flexible plastic hinges, presumably from use. The controls themselves are fine, just need help replacing the housings/buttons. Anyone know how to do this (including the proper way to remove/reinstall the airbag, which I suspect needs to come off)? I have the factory manual but this really isn't covered, at least I cannot find it. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
J.D.

I just tackled this problem last night.

First I removed the HORN and AIRBAG fuses. They are located in the fuse box below the steering wheel and a diagram is on the inside of the panel telling you which ones to remove. If you can't find the fuse box or don’t have the diagram on the panel then disconnecting your battery should do just fine.

Second I removed the airbag by following the directions from the link someone responded with above.

Third (and this is completely ghetto rigged) I broke a paperclip up into small metal pipes (to act as hinges), used a small c-clamp to hold the button in place, and superglued the paperclips to connect the button back to broke off portion.

I don’t know how long it will last, but I already have another plan in place if they break off again.

Hope this helped.

·
I Wanna Go Fast
2,349 Posts
Same thing happened to me...Kinda ghetto looking right now haha. I'll get around to it eventually.

·
Daily Driver
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here's my cheap (and hopefully permanent) fix. Used some old floppy disc aluminum thingies and cut little squares out with a tin snips, then superglued them clamped with little Irwin clamps to make a new little aluminum hinge on each button. Costed nothing and I'm sure new buttons (~$250) would eventually fail the same way. Anyway, so far so good, seems to actually work quite nicely if the glue holds.

:woot:

Attachments

·
LS1GTO_Lounge Autox Champ
15,048 Posts
Ok, here's my cheap (and hopefully permanent) fix. Used some old floppy disc aluminum thingies and cut little squares out with a tin snips, then superglued them clamped with little Irwin clamps to make a new little aluminum hinge on each button. Costed nothing and I'm sure new buttons (~$250) would eventually fail the same way. Anyway, so far so good, seems to actually work quite nicely if the glue holds.

:woot:
That's pretty damn creative man. I know it's only been a month but how is that holding up so far?

·
aka Captain Slow
301 Posts
I fixed mine with a rubberized super glue. Not sure how long it will last, but I don't use my wheel controls anyway (aftermarket radio). Seemed to work OK when I tested it out, though...pushed the button and the glue didn't crack.

·
LS1GTO_Lounge Autox Champ
15,048 Posts
To my pleasant surprise (maybe even shock) this corny fix is actually working quite well, no problems yet.
If it works, it works.
Might have to give it a shot as well. One of mine broke last week and that's all I see when I'm in the car.

·
Registered
832 Posts
To my pleasant surprise (maybe even shock) this corny fix is actually working quite well, no problems yet.
Same here, thanks for posting that. Only 1 of my buttons broke completely (volume down) but I went ahead and super-glued that metal strip to all of them. They've been holding up fine for about 2 weeks and the only thing I've noticed is that my buttons are a bit stiffer, but still perfectly functional.

·
just a day in the life of
170 Posts
I had this happen to my track up button, I found a $2 fix, that has worked for several other things too. Acrylic Nail Glue. It comes in a plastic package I cut a small piece of plastic and glued it to the back of the button then to the back of the housing to act as a brace I also applied glue to the original connect point too. going good now for almost 2yrs. Whats nice about the nail glue is it requires acitone to remove.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
My 'mode' button fell to the carpet last night, and today, being the great summer day that it was, I pulled the airbag and epoxied the hinge.
But to be honest, if not for the gaping holes it would leave, I would rather just remove both switch pods.
So, while the epoxy was curing, I played with a bit of sheet brass, and came up with a decent filler that can be refined a bit, duplicated for the right side, and possibly covered with leather, inner-tube rubber, or oil cloth before installation. I know...post a pic. Will do just that, tomorrow.

Or has some handy GTO owner already designed a nice filler piece?

·
Daily Driver
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of my (6) superglued aluminum hinges finally gave up on a very cold morning. I'm still not disappointed in the first try and idea though. I think I will re-do this same repair using plastic epoxy in the spring :)

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Your idea was quite innovative, but alas, these switches are shit no matter what one does with them.
The wheel will look way more cool without them, and I just cannot wait to get the filler pieces right. Real p.i.a. to keep dropping the airbag, but some time in early spring I might actually get the little project completed.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Look at things this way:

What did we all do in the stone age, before steering wheel buttons?

I use the buttons as well, this is why they crapped out. I never knew that VDO could make such crap. And replacements are waaay over-priced as we all have discovered.

·
Totally Registered User
923 Posts
Look at things this way:

What did we all do in the stone age, before steering wheel buttons?

I use the buttons as well, this is why they crapped out. I never knew that VDO could make such crap. And replacements are waaay over-priced as we all have discovered.
Yeah the new switches are just over $100 from GM. Gonna try and get one from Cleveland Pick a Part..btw any problems or danger with removing and reinstalling the airbag module?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Remove the airbag fuse, although I cannot see why to do this if the airbag will remain connected to the two wires.
Get BOTH ignition keys for the car. One goes into the ignition. Start the car.
The other key is used in each of four slots to release a metal pin from its nylon retainer [at rear of the wheel, of course]. The slots are really only gotten to when they are at the top, this is why you need to run the engine.
Install the end of the spare ignition key into a slot and twist. You will know when it has released the steel pin. Easiest to first use a mirror just to see what I mean. Sometimes a released pin will slide back onto the retainer, so I use something to keep each corner of the airbag wedged off the wheel as I release each pin.
Also please note that there is a wire permanently connected between both switch pods, and you may want to pull the two bottom spoke rear covers away from the metal wheel casting to make it easier to get that cable out when removing the pods. Be forewarned that each spoke of the cover has a sort of hidden moulded-in split-pin that will need to be CAREFULLY relocated back into its hole in the metal casting. These pins are split, and easily get smurfed up if you do not use your eyes for this.

Smurfed- is that a blue or a red smurf?

I did try a few home-made blanking covers to eliminate these switches, but no matter how I try, they just do not look too cool.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
14 Participants
Slippyfist88
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing