LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

· Registered Goat Abuser
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumper Removal / Grill Install instructions and pics…

Bumper Removal / Grill Install instructions and pics…

Thought some of you might like to see what you are in for if you do this mod. It is not so bad.

I used the directions that were provided by gotzaGTO in this post (#49)…
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7138&page=2&pp=30

Before I removed the bumper, I made some marks to insure everything lined back up afterwards.

And here are the tools I used – That right-angle philips is handy, I did not need to remove the wheels or turn them to get a screwdriver on those side screws.

Here are the screws you need to remove…

+

Attachments

Reactions: BaconHeart

· Registered Goat Abuser
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After you remove all them screws, you will first need to pull the bumper sides out and away from the car.
After you pull the bumper away from the screw holes you will then need to get the bumper off of these two hooks…

These are the holes that are on them hooks…

So by pushing up just a bit and grabbing the bumper by the top, side screw hole, you will gently work the bumper sides off these hooks.

Once that is done, you are now at the hardest part of the removal.
This hole needs to be popped off of this hook…

This is just below the headlight. I would say the best way to get this “unhooked” is to put one hand just above the fog light and push towards the rear of the car while you are pulling the side of the bumper out and away from the car.

Attachments

Reactions: BaconHeart

· Registered Goat Abuser
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once this is completed on both sides, the bumper will just slide off.

Just replace the Styrofoam…

You will notice that the only thing connecting the bumper skin to the car is the fog light and side marker wires – and only on one side. No big deal – just leave them connected. There is plenty of slack.

I then tipped the bumper skin on to it’s front – as you may have noticed, I have a section of clean carpet to lay the bumper on.

At this point you can remove the four clips from the current grills with your needle nose pliers.

Here is what it looks like with the grills removed…

Then to install the new Auto-X grills, just slip them on and install the new clips…

As you can see, I used a pair of larger piers to push them on evenly and tightly.

You can now replace the bumper skin the same way it was removed.

Here are some pics of the final results…
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11292&highlight=grills

Attachments

· 1st Time Goat Owner
139 Posts
Thank you!! Very informative, and great pics. Is this the only way to install the Autocross grilles?

· Great Lakes Moderator
2,390 Posts
Awesome "How-To" article with pix! Thanks, now I understand how those difficult little clips work!

· HSV GTO
816 Posts
Awesome is right where were you when i did mine i took me a while to get those clips out and the clip on the driverside headlite broke but i got lucky and it went back with no problems.

· Registered Goat Abuser
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all :)

I’m thinking you could easily swap the grills in 30 minutes.
15 min max to remove the bumper
10 min max to swap the grills
5 min max to reinstall the bumper

Maybe allow 10-15 minutes more if you are anal about working on your car (like most of us are).

OK so maybe 45 minutes :D

· Marty
1,775 Posts
RedhotGTO said:
Thanks all :)

I’m thinking you could easily swap the grills in 30 minutes.
15 min max to remove the bumper
10 min max to swap the grills
5 min max to reinstall the bumper

Maybe allow 10-15 minutes more if you are anal about working on your car (like most of us are).

OK so maybe 45 minutes :D

I did snap my pass side clip....but all else was easy. Absolutley excellent pics and "how to" verbage. Way to be my brother!

· Clayton's rice killer
101 Posts
omg, i can't believe you got to remove the whole front clip to put those grills in.. damn!!!

· Registered
65 Posts
Another thank you to RedhotGTO. These instructions are excellent!!!!!!! It took all the unknown out of the process, and made it alot more fun. Highly recommend you follow these if you are changing out the grilles.

· RIP George...
2,352 Posts
Great post RedHotGTO! Very informative and great pics included. This will come in handy for any SAP grill installs.

Looks like a good candidate for a sticky to me! :thumbs:

· Registered
88 Posts
Don't care about SAP or grille, BUT.............

My 05 GTO was hit by a Toyota, passenger door, front fender, and front bumper left side. New door, fender, and re-paint & blend. Then service dept. had to replace subframe, and complete rack & pinion assy. They scratched up front bumper, had to remove it again, and sand & repaint & clearcoat. They were in a hurry, because it took 7 weeks, they had made several mistakes, and I was up their ass, along with my insurance guy. Anyway, when car was delivered, front fascia did not line up right, and had big gaps, where it should fit! I took it back and after three more days, it still didn't fit! After several arguments, they said, "Sorry", thats as good as it gets. Then I saw your post & pics. Took it in to the body shop and was able to VERIFY they had broken the clips under headlights, and forgot to re-install styrofoam brace! They were really pissed, that I could PROVE, they had F*****UP.They had to order parts and now they have to do it RIGHT! So, THANKS for a great post/pics. It saved me a ton of money and further grief!!!

· Resident 10-second Priest
12,256 Posts
Very nice post and very timely. You see, I found a new way to remove the front bumper:

All you gotta do is go sideways on the freeway and slide into a hill backwards at 60mph.

Seriously, this will be useful once I get it all fixed up. :)

Padre

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.