LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have two spunky little dogs, Cavachons. They are about 22-23 pounds each. BEST DOGS EVER.

One of them has become bunny killer extraordinaire. By now he has to have at least a dozen bunnies to his kill count. Granted, a lot of them are young, but he's gotten one or two full grown ones too. No idea how he does it, never seen the kills, only the aftermath. The other one just likes to chase and watch apparently, no blood on his paws ever.

Anyway, tonight BKM got a bite onto a garden variety toad. He immediately spit it out, drooled and foamed at the mouth and shook his head throwing globs of foamy spit in every direction for a while. Tried to get him to drink something but no going. Wife rinsed off his face, lips and washed out his mouth. He felt better but still looked shaken. The toad hopped away. I hope the little turd learned his lesson!

Here's a picture of them as pups the day we brought them home. Who knew such an innocent looking pair would become murderous killers. The black-eared one does all the actually bunny snuffing. Soft as a down pillow, friendly as a pal wanting to borrow money and cute as a teddy bear but with murder in their hearts.

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Dogs are funny creatures that way.

I've often wondered how they'd fare without human intervention?

·
17,678 Posts
How many rabbits live around there?

·
GR-RRR!
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bunnies run rampant around here. We have a family or two under our shed out back. Though that particular branch in the bunny family tree has been pruned quite a lot of late. Angus is always on the hunt though.

Duncan, the brown eared one, has a stronger fixation on squirrels. He hasn't managed to catch one yet but he's ever hopeful.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,370 Posts
My golden has almost zero prey drive, walks out in the yard to a family of deer, looks at them, then goes about his business. He did pick up a toad once and ended up with the same foamy mouth. Not sure what was more unpleasant, the toad or me waterboarding him to rinse out his mouth.

·
GR-RRR!
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first time I found Angus with a prey kill (almost fully grown rabbit) he had eaten all the guts and was digging further. His white snout, chin, belly and front legs were all bloody. Quite a shocking visual of what is normally a very affectionate and cuddly little lap dog. :D Duncan was standing nearby and seemed to be saying, "Dude! Human's coming and he looks pissed! You are going to be in soooo much trouble!" I didn't scold him or anything, he was just being a dog after all but he did get tossed in the tub and washed off pretty thoroughly which he didn't care for that much.

Both the Bichon and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (parents used to make a Cavachon) have spaniel hunting dog roots so this aspect of their personalities is not really a surprise. For such little guys, they can run as fast as the wind. Single minded too when it comes to prey instinct. I occasionally have to remind them to do their outdoor business as they get so focused on hunting they neglect the peeing and pooping part of going outside. Me? I'd rather drop a load and empty my bladder before pursuing any other concerns!

·
Registered
330 Posts
we actually have a squirrel we got to raise starting in april from a baby. they are pretty cool and intelligent animals and fun to interact with. she used to be indoors all the time but now is outside and still comes up to us. we can still hold her and she occasionally comes in the house still.

·
Registered Offender
34,534 Posts
dude he licked a toad and got high and you had to harsh his buzz??

not cool mang:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts