LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
04 Looking for an 06
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out in the goat for a couple days after I had my windows tinted. At a traffic light, mustang next to me, i drop it out at around 3000 RPM off we go into second when i realize my engine is reving and im not going anywhere... i ease off, turn onto a side street to hide my embarassment. My friend in a vehicle behind me said there was alot of smoke out the back. Did i burn my clutch out? It sure smells like it..and the clutch on the five min drive home feels spungy, but still responsive when i gave it gas in second and third gears...no slipping. I didnt dare try a first gear start again, but what should i do? Should i go to the dealer? What should i say? Warranty issues? Abuse? Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
I've smoked checked mine 3 times now and she keeps coming back for more. I've got 16k on mine now and the 1st time was around 3000 miles. All I did was let it cool and then I got back on the track. Of course mine was new. IMOP I'd drive it like normal tommorrow and if you notice any slipping take it easy and buy a new clutch. I think your out of luck concerning the warranty issue because a clutch is a wear item. JMOP

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
:secret: doesnt sound very healthy....

·
04 Looking for an 06
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironmancan said:
I've smoked checked mine 3 times now and she keeps coming back for more. I've got 16k on mine now and the 1st time was around 3000 miles. All I did was let it cool and then I got back on the track. Of course mine was new. IMOP I'd drive it like normal tommorrow and if you notice any slipping take it easy and buy a new clutch. I think your out of luck concerning the warranty issue because a clutch is a wear item. JMOP
thanks, mines got 35k right now but this is the first time this happened. But it just might be time for a new one anyway. I just didnt want to have to deal with it now. Shes outside airing out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have done the same thing 2 times and my car has 47k on it and the clutch is still going strong(knock on wood). I was worried at first too but it was fine the next day although it smelled like crap for a couple days.

·
get used to this sight
1,051 Posts
it should have come back within about 10-15 minutes of normal driving. the smell on my car was noticeable for like a month and a half though, but mine is still runnin strong. even had 2 track visits since and still no smell.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
jarrett06 said:
How much is a new clutch for goats?
z06 plus flywheel $450
anything else $500-900

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Burned Out???

IrishRugby575 said:
i drop it out at around 3000 RPM off we go into second when i realize my engine is reving and im not going anywhere...

After a few runs at the track, mine did the same thing...started between 3-4k RPM in 1st gear, brought 2nd to 5800, shifted into 3rd and stomped the gas and the engine was reving but car stopped accelerating, hit 4th gear before I realized that the engine was reving out but the car wasn't going anywhere. Clutch felt very spongy after that, not nearly as solid as before...and car is BRAND NEW...under 3k mi!!!! At first I thought maybe I had missed the gear or not let off of the clutch completely, but now I am sure there is a problem. Happened 2 runs in a row, so I called it a day at the track. Is it time to replace/upgrade the clutch already?! Or is something else wrong?

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
2,410 Posts
IrishRugby575 said:
First time out in the goat for a couple days after I had my windows tinted. At a traffic light, mustang next to me, i drop it out at around 3000 RPM off we go into second when i realize my engine is reving and im not going anywhere... i ease off, turn onto a side street to hide my embarassment. My friend in a vehicle behind me said there was alot of smoke out the back. Did i burn my clutch out? It sure smells like it..and the clutch on the five min drive home feels spungy, but still responsive when i gave it gas in second and third gears...no slipping. I didnt dare try a first gear start again, but what should i do? Should i go to the dealer? What should i say? Warranty issues? Abuse? Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
Had this happen to me ..
this Su(ks....9K miles??
can someone tell us what happen???
thanks
Morty:gears:

·
Registered
718 Posts
This happened to me twice, once at 1,500 miles that was pretty bad and a short one at 2200miles. I'm getting a strange grinding noise every so often that may be the clutch or rear diff. I've been to the track many times with DR's with no problems with clutch but some problems with the lsd holding both tires. My clutch today is still tight but it will be one of the next things that gets replaced.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
GTO 06 said:
Had this happen to me ..
this Su(ks....9K miles??
can someone tell us what happen???
thanks
Morty:gears:
I think I know something about your problem Morty. :drink: :gears:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i was surprised that mine lasted as long as it did. big HP on stock clutch=short life

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
5000 RPM @ 8 MPH followed by a smell reminiscent of moldy sneakers.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
mistermike said:
5000 RPM @ 8 MPH followed by a smell reminiscent of moldy sneakers.
hmmm, mine smell more like bleu cheese...

·
UNDER REPAIR! FROM BAD CRASH!
122 Posts
Smoked Clutch

Mine did the same thing at the track last night. Also mine turned the malfunction warning lamp on :confused: how do I know what is wrong? Do I take it in? I hate the dealership:comp:

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
Jeez, can I ad a me too to this thread? Had it happen to me just this weekend as I lined up w/ an SS, I slipped the clutch a bit around 1800-2200rpm, and gunned it, I was going no where, rpms went up, clutch stayed down, I let off the gas, the clutch grabbed (pedal came back up) and then started excellerating. I then had the wonderful clutch smell. I took it home and parked it. The next day (night) I did a couple spirited dead stop launches and it did it to me a 2nd time. 7K miles and time to replace the clutch? I Don't even beat on it often... ...someone said they changed the fluid and it helped. Has there been any concensus on this yet? Worn clutch or needs tranny fluid replacement.

·
You build it, I break it!
4,621 Posts
I have about 11 thousand on my car now in the past 6 months with about 20 trips down the track and about 8 launches on the drag radials, no slippage as of yet that i can tell. Then again i did just notice that there is diff oil all over the underside of the back of the car so that may be another problem haha.

Anthony

·
jetblast
1,321 Posts
04 clutch

there was a service bulletin out for this cars but supposedly only for a batch group. mine also slipped when getting on it hard from a dig even with low miles, after i did the mods {9000 mi on the clock}the problem really surfaced, so i had the clutch pressure plate bolts cked and retorqued to the proper value which i think was 35ft/lbs. and no problems since. i have 43k mi now and have over 40 passes at the track and it's finally starting to slip especially with 4krpm launches. oh and the work was covered by warranty, just gotta find the right dealer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts