LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first burnout last night, I found a quite road and stopped held the brake down and rev'd to 2000rpm, when i let go it took off but the ass end came out to the left. Traction Control was off. What should I do differently to keep the car going straight from the begining to end to maximize my time. I am trying to practice launching so when I do go to the strip I don't embarass myself. :eek:

Thanks

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Sage advice

nikivee said:
ease out of the hole. Don't floor it right away. Wheelspin is the killer to good ET's. Going up in smoke may look cool, but you will lose. :D
A very, very wise and quick man just said that. You should come out so they're just whispering to you and increase as quickly as you can to keep them just that way. The Bleach Box is to warm them up and get them a little sticky. After that, the least smoke and tire screaming wins in our class... :sneaky:

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Actually, in the grand scheme of things - should it matter if you have the traction control on or off at the strip? Shouldn't your goal to be to launch and shift without getting to the point the TC would engage anyway?
Dan

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Ideally, you should have the tires right at the edge of breaking loose the entire run. Reality is less than ideal, however, so it is generally considered better to allow the tire to slip a little than to be underpowering. As T/C systems improve, that differential will decrease. For someone like me who isn't going to be practicing holeshots, T/C on is probably just about as quick as I'll ever launch from a stoplight consistantly and is probably quicker than I'll launch sloppily, if you follow me... ;)

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Thought provoking

DANSLS1 said:
Actually, in the grand scheme of things - should it matter if you have the traction control on or off at the strip? Shouldn't your goal to be to launch and shift without getting to the point the TC would engage anyway?
Dan
Very interesting point. I guess a response would have to be based in knowing how quick T/C is to respond to slip, and how aggressively it is set to react. Is it a 'nick of time' thing and on and off like a flash, or does it react correctively prior to breaking loose and linger to below a threshold? In other words, too heavy-handed? From what I have read here, and experience on the road, it is HUGELY beneficial in inclement weather. I just haven't kicked the Goat too much in the sunshine with it on or off to know what I think of it. The general sense I got here from others was that it was too heavy-handed at the Strip, and was felt to raise ET's. :confused:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Old Goat said:
The general sense I got here from others was that it was too heavy-handed at the Strip, and was felt to raise ET's. :confused:
That's the impression I've gotten, too. Almost all my time in my m6 has been in the sunshine (coastal NC is really nice this time of year!) and, while I don't pretend to be a drag racer (either in spirit or in fact), I have been playing with hard launches from traffic lights and such when it seems very safe - always with an eye towards avoiding tirespin. I have only had the T/C kick in a few times and that has always been when I had pushed past the hazing point in well into outright smokin' 'em.

I take that back - I once had it kick in when I didn't think I was slipping at all, gently accelerating out of a corner in my neighborhood on a drizzly night. When it hit, I felt the car straighten back up slightly and only then did I realize that the @$$-end had started to drift on me. T/C doing exactly what it is supposed to do, I think.

·
Registered
571 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
That's the impression I've gotten, too. Almost all my time in my m6 has been in the sunshine (coastal NC is really nice this time of year!) and, while I don't pretend to be a drag racer (either in spirit or in fact), I have been playing with hard launches from traffic lights and such when it seems very safe - always with an eye towards avoiding tirespin. I have only had the T/C kick in a few times and that has always been when I had pushed past the hazing point in well into outright smokin' 'em.

I take that back - I once had it kick in when I didn't think I was slipping at all, gently accelerating out of a corner in my neighborhood on a drizzly night. When it hit, I felt the car straighten back up slightly and only then did I realize that the @$$-end had started to drift on me. T/C doing exactly what it is supposed to do, I think.
Hmm... The T/C in my M6 must be set at "beginners" level. It seems to kick in all the time!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I thought you guys forgot about me. I posted this question days ago.....
:) thanks for the info. I will practice more on empty streets when possible, before going to the strip. So far I have always done it with T/C off.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
I couldn't do a burnout if I tried... ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey guys, just chiming in with my experience with TC at the track. I found that it was too aggressive. By that I mean that it does seem to kick in at the right time, but lingers way too long. I was a half second quicker with it off than on. Unfortunately, I only made 2 runs as the place was packed. I plan on heading there again next week and will feedback here.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Remember, even with T/C turned on, you can still easily light up the rear wheels. That's what I call being "too aggressive". On the street, I've had T/C kick in when it should, and most of the time I've been glad it did. At the strip, however, I am definitely going to turn it off. I want full control (or "out of control") of the wheel spin.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I must be in the minority. I don't like the TC and turn it off all the time - rain or shine. I feel I have more control over the car with it off.
I left it on by mistake at the auto-x event and found the same thing mattSaint said, it stays on too long after the tires start to grip. Practice with it off and you'll do better.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
What happens when you stop at a light in traffic and get your rear tires on the cross walk paint mlc? Personally I like having the car kick in and let me accelerate rather than hitting the pavement with the wheels spinning and generating an unnecessary and somewhat expensive plume of white smoke. Don't get me wrong, any time I want to play, the TC button goes off. I use it as a switch between 'transportation' driving mode and 'fun' driving mode.
But, my point earlier in this thread is - for the best overall drag strip run, you want to maximize the potential traction you have. It doesn't seem like the TC would penalize that - IF you were actually controlling the car to it's optimum. When it's going to slow you down - that means you aren't running an optimal run anyway, and it will just make a 'bad' run worse.
Dan

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
What happens when you stop at a light in traffic and get your rear tires on the cross walk paint mlc?
They don't have them around here. :p

I think my problem is I'm always in 'fun' driving mode. :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts