LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is my first muscle car ever. So I've never done a burn out on a vehicle. I've done a few of them on my 1450cc Harley-
Davidson. My question is, when doing a burnout on the GTO, do you watch your RPM's, listen to the engine or both? On my Harley-Davidson, it doesn't have the RPM's meter so I have to listen to the engine. I don't want to damage this car when I do my first burn out so any info will be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
webpeznet said:
you hold the brake while giving it gas? I would like to know too so that I can burnout in front of the dealership :)
No better way to break that LS1 in....:rolleyes:

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Devil,

Mines going to be the M6. Can't work the clutch, gas and brake pedal at the same time (unless you happen to be squidward from spongebob :p . So I'd have to use the hand brake. Do you redline it or keep it well under the redline? By the way, I wanted to thank you for this site. I don't post as often as I would like but this is one of my frequent site I view on a daily basis. Keep up the great work and thanks again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Holding the brakes loads the torque converter and gets the engine into the torque range where can break the tires loose (aparently not hard with this car). With manual just rev moedrately, drop the clutch and feed gas same time. One thing though, you sometimes go fast and get seriously sideways doing this stuff so maybe best not do it leaving the dealership and trash your new car til you get some practice somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
MILLPOND said:
If this car is all they say it is....with an auto I would not think you would have to hold the brake down. unless you wanted to sit there is get a large cloud of smoke.
Then people would say..."hey that looks just like that commercial!!!"

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
speaking of the commercial, does anybody know when they will have a commercial where you can actually SEE the car... Hope that's not asking too much :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
iron_horse31 said:
Devil,

Mines going to be the M6. Can't work the clutch, gas and brake pedal at the same time (unless you happen to be squidward from spongebob :p . So I'd have to use the hand brake. Do you redline it or keep it well under the redline? By the way, I wanted to thank you for this site. I don't post as often as I would like but this is one of my frequent site I view on a daily basis. Keep up the great work and thanks again.
Actually the parking break usually sets the rear brakes only (I could be wrong, but it works that way on every car I've ever had). Therefore you would definitely NOT do this. From what they say, it'll be hard to not do a burnout w/ the traction control off - especially given the short throttle throw.

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
Tails...I wasnt thinking of that....but you are right! It would look like that.

I dont think they will show you the whole car until after the offical release date of the 27th. But I could be wrong.

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"From what they say, it'll be hard to not do a burnout w/ the traction control off - especially given the short throttle throw."

:(

Well thats no fun. I was hoping to be able to enter a burn out contest with both my Harley-Davidson and my GTO. I'm sure us M6 pre-owners will have figured out how to do a massive burn out. If so, pass the word on please.

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
This tread is ridiculous!:slap:

Here's how you can do a burnout in your new GTO

1. Start car
2. Take foot off of the brake
3. Mash the accelerator

I'll personally guarentee that your rear tires will go up in smoke.

Powerbraking is only for TV commercials or if you really want to use up your tires in one cloud of smoke.

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, isn't the yellow GTO in the Motor Trend review (dated Nov 03) on the GTO media (movies 8.16MB) a M6? They show the driver shifting the M6 gears describing it as "buttery smooth". On the track they show the GTO doing a nice burn out then taking off. If thats the case, then it is possible to do a burn out with the M6. The question is how?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since you have an M6, it's easy as pie ...

1. Start car
2. Turn of TC (not completely necessary ;) )
3. select 1st and dial up about 3500rpm
4. side step the clutch
5. enjoy large amounts of smoke - fun for all the family!

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"This tread is ridiculous!"

Sorry for my "ridiculous" tread. I thought this forum was open to all discussions about the GTO. Sorry for not knowing how to do a burn out. I'll behave myself from now on. :drink:

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's easy on my Harley-Davidson. All you do is hold the brake with your right hand, let off the clutch and give it gASS. I wasn't sure if you would have to hold down the brake in order to stay in place or will you ass end be all over the place?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts