LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's easy to do a burnout with a M6. Once you get them going it ain't hard to keep em going and you DON'T need a line lock. I hardly even use mine.

1) To do a nice smokey launch, rev it up some, let the clutch fly, let the tires roast. You do need to watch the tach though cause with a 2.66:1 first gear, it revs up to very quickly!

2) To do a brake stand with M6 without a line lock, I rev up to about 3,500 rpm, pop the clutch then use my left foot on the brake. I maintain around 3,000 - 3,500 rpm's when doing this. You can sit there and burn them as long as the tires will last. At the drag strip before I installed my line lock I'd run them 7-10 seconds sufficiently to heat and clean the drag radials. But otherwise in my favorite industrial parks one day I sat and burned them for like a minute and a half before they went "BOOM". :D

3) With a Line Lock, Hold brake firmly, flip switch for the line lock, release brake pedal, rev up to whatever rpm you want to, dump the clutch and let her rip. One thing to keep in mind with a line lock, is since the rear brakes aren't engaged, the wheels will spin easier, so initially be mindful of the tach until you get to a happy burning RPM. When done, simply flip the line lock switch to off and the car will start rolling forward.

4) Acceleration burnout. At the friction point, ease out the clutch, give it gas just as if you were accelerating normally. Once the clutch is fully out, simply mash it and let all hell break loose. Watch the tach though as it'll wind up fast. I did this one twice today having fun with mine. :D

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks everybody for your input. You will be remembered when I'm smoking my tires :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Be sure to get video....video is your friend. :D

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
CMNTMXR57,

How much did it cost you to install a line lock? I'm just curious how much I'm looking at if I decide to go that route, which I probably will. And where do you recommend buying them? Thanks!

P.S. This probably won't be the last time I'll be picking your brains so save some for me.
:D

·
^^^^^^^^
434 Posts
yah , thats the way i do it in my m6 holden..

1. pop it into first gear.

2. 4-5000 rpm and let go of the clutch.

3. immediately place left foot on the brake , hold her there, whilst incresing the revs to 5000 again (smoke starts to pour out the rear)

3. like "lightning" let go of the brake and hit the clutch , shift to second and back on the brake immediately and again up to 4-5 K revs (bit tricky) ...

look into your rear view mirror and see nothing except white billowing clouds of smoke ... then you can slowly start releasing the brakes , the thing should keep smoking for a good distance !!!

* all this in a matter of seconds ...

ferk i love doing burnouts, but my poor tires don't like it ...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
iron_horse31 said:
CMNTMXR57,

How much did it cost you to install a line lock? I'm just curious how much I'm looking at if I decide to go that route, which I probably will. And where do you recommend buying them? Thanks!

P.S. This probably won't be the last time I'll be picking your brains so save some for me.
:D
This is for my Camaro mind you,
SLP's line lock kit (which is what mine is) is about $125. It includes line lock solenoid, two replacement brake lines to fit it into the braking system, system wiring and the wiring and the switch to arm it. It then cost me an additional $15 for a new brake line from SLP because I broke the flared end of the one they gave me where it goes into the master cylinder. I barely snugged it by hand and SNAP!!!

I then bled it at the ABS modulator as the whole setup goes before the modulator. It was much easier this way. SInce I installed it myself, it only cost me the 6 pack I knocked down while installing it. :D

·
right foot + throttle =
358 Posts
I know how to do a burnout just fine, but holy shit... I can't stop staring at Iron Horse's avatar. I mean, damn. :boink:

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
Wow when I started reading this, I was like is he serious? And then I seen he was a founding member and he was asking noob questions and I was like WTF.

Then I looked more and got curious and then I looked at the date and then I shooke my head and dipped it in humility for myself.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts