LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Cosmos A4 in to the dealer today for a Mobil-1 oil change (800 miles in a little less than two weeks, woo-hoo). Have been unhappy with the bouncy-ness/noise in the rear suspension (lots of clunking/popping - searched the threads here and read about the TSB on the "clunk in the trunk", but that came out in April, and my car was manufactured in May, after the VIN break in the TSB). Checked the spare tire - it was nice and tight. Also wanted to show the dealer the two hickeys in the paint (driver's side rear quarter panel, ahead of the tail lamp), and the two scratches by the gas door.

Of course, en route to the dealer I start hearing squeaking noises (kinda like styrofoam) from the front end, especially on turns. Wondered if they took out the suspension packing materials (I know they didn't do much to prep the car - told them not to detail it - but I had the "60 psi in tires" problem I read about here).

Well, got "the call" this afternoon from the dealer. They attribute the squeaking on turns to a dash problem - had the dash apart looking for the issue when they called me (still working on it).

The worst news is the rear end. They were able to find marking around some of the suspension bolts - and, even though my car was built after the VIN break, they're attributing the rear suspension noises to that problem.

The kicker is, they claim the bolts needed to perform this are on a 10-14 day backorder. Can't drive the car 'til this is fixed (#@# car is less than two weeks old!). Argh. Couple in the fact that incentives went up by $2500 4 days after I bought the car, and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Questions to those who had the "clunk in the trunk" - did the TSB resolve the problem? Any other common/frequent causes for rear suspension noises? What about the creaking up front when turning? (Moderators: with all of the new owners coming to the boards, would it be possible to create a sticky/thread/FAQ with this kind of info for newbies?)

Would it be unreasonable for me to email Jim Hopson and see if the parts could be expedited? The dealership has been great (offered me a Sunfire rental, but I'm driving the wife's GTP we're trying to sell). I just don't want two weeks (on a less-than-two-week-old car) for a problem to be resolved...

Frustrated in Wisconsin,

--Robert

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The TSB did fix the clunk in the trunk problem. I am not familiar with the noise in the front other than the styrofoam issue. My dealer didn't remove the styrofoam at first and when they finally did I no longer had the noise.
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
The squeak could be the spring retainers (I guess that's what they're called). Look at your front springs, if there is a red rubber piece in between the spring coils that is where the squeak is coming from. The dealer is supposed to remove them during PDI. The bolts for my half shaft took a week and a half to get here. They were on back-order also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RobertHammen said:
Took my Cosmos A4 in to the dealer today for a Mobil-1 oil change (800 miles in a little less than two weeks, woo-hoo). Have been unhappy with the bouncy-ness/noise in the rear suspension (lots of clunking/popping - searched the threads here and read about the TSB on the "clunk in the trunk", but that came out in April, and my car was manufactured in May, after the VIN break in the TSB). Checked the spare tire - it was nice and tight. Also wanted to show the dealer the two hickeys in the paint (driver's side rear quarter panel, ahead of the tail lamp), and the two scratches by the gas door.

Of course, en route to the dealer I start hearing squeaking noises (kinda like styrofoam) from the front end, especially on turns. Wondered if they took out the suspension packing materials (I know they didn't do much to prep the car - told them not to detail it - but I had the "60 psi in tires" problem I read about here).

Well, got "the call" this afternoon from the dealer. They attribute the squeaking on turns to a dash problem - had the dash apart looking for the issue when they called me (still working on it).

The worst news is the rear end. They were able to find marking around some of the suspension bolts - and, even though my car was built after the VIN break, they're attributing the rear suspension noises to that problem.

The kicker is, they claim the bolts needed to perform this are on a 10-14 day backorder. Can't drive the car 'til this is fixed (#@# car is less than two weeks old!). Argh. Couple in the fact that incentives went up by $2500 4 days after I bought the car, and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Questions to those who had the "clunk in the trunk" - did the TSB resolve the problem? Any other common/frequent causes for rear suspension noises? What about the creaking up front when turning? (Moderators: with all of the new owners coming to the boards, would it be possible to create a sticky/thread/FAQ with this kind of info for newbies?)

Would it be unreasonable for me to email Jim Hopson and see if the parts could be expedited? The dealership has been great (offered me a Sunfire rental, but I'm driving the wife's GTP we're trying to sell). I just don't want two weeks (on a less-than-two-week-old car) for a problem to be resolved...

Frustrated in Wisconsin,

--Robert
If your problrm is the "clunk in the truck" issue covered by the TSB, there is absolutely no reason you cannot drive the car until the parts come in.

·
Magic Blue Bottle
91 Posts
Just had mine done

I picked my car up from the dealer yesterday after having the new bushings and bolts installed. Power shifted 1-2 and 2-3 no more wheel hop and also absent was the sound of the rear end coming up thru the floor.

Took my dealer all of 3 hours to get this turned around including a complimentary wash.

That's two trips to the dealer in the less than 2 months I have owned the car but at least both the loose clutch bolt issue and bushing issue have been resolved.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a noise in the steering wheel that resembles what you speak of. Been too busy to address it with the dealer, but it is definately at the wheel/column interface.

·
Registered
86 Posts
RobertHammen said:

Frustrated in Wisconsin,

--Robert

When I had the clunk in the trunk fixed my dealer also said they need to order the bolts. After checking they said the only difference betrween regular bolts and the ones to order were thread locktite. So they used red liquid Locktite on the bolts they had in stock. And yes it did solve the clunk in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm. Re-reading the TSB, seems to indicate the clunking occurs under hard acceleration. What I'm hearing is clunking/popping while driving down the road, hitting bumps (i.e. concrete expansion joints are particularly bad). I've really not been happy with the ride quality of the GTO - the one I test-drove in July didn't seem as stiff/bouncy as my car. We'll see. Dealer also hasn't been able to find the dash squeak which is really noticeable during turning. I did mention the suspension shipping materials, asking them to make sure they're out (anyone got pics of these items?)

I did write a polite email to Jim Hopson and got a very nice reply (not being sarcastic here). Supposedly GTO Engineering and Executive Customer Support are going to be in touch with me (already have been in touch with the dealer's service manager). I'm now told that the dealer might see parts on Tuesday. Driving the wife's GTP isn't bad (a lot better than the offered Sunfire), but I sure miss my Cosmos (don't know how I'm going to deal with it when I put the car away in November :-(.

Thanks for the responses,

--Robert

·
Goatless
565 Posts
I had my clunk in the trunk fixed this week. The dealer next dayed the parts and fixed it in about two hours. It actually was a two day process, because they did have to order the parts, but I picked my car up the first day and brought it back to be fixed the second day.
It just sounds to me like your dealer didn't want to pay for the shipping to get you taken care of right away.

·
Audio Gigolo
224 Posts
RobertHammen said:
Hmmm. Re-reading the TSB, seems to indicate the clunking occurs under hard acceleration. What I'm hearing is clunking/popping while driving down the road, hitting bumps (i.e. concrete expansion joints are particularly bad).
Ah, this is the thread I was looking for. I picked up my 04 GTO yesterday, and my only issue thus far is exactly what Robert mentions above. I notice the clunking most on initial takeoff from a stop (not hard acceleration by any means).

Did the TSB fix it for everyone? Anyone have the TSB number handy? I'm going to go search for it now.

Thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts