LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought i should share this.i bought the slp diablo sport.thinking that the extra 60 bucks or so meant i was getting the best.Well not the case.slp only allows you to adjust a few paramiters vrs what you can do with the standard model.
I called diablo sport and they said i have to buy a whole new unit to be able to adjust injecter slopes or timming. i think it stinks and i will never buy another slp product.
mike

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
I decided that I would never buy another SLP product after I installed my shorty headers on my LT1. Worst design ever, you cant get to the plugs, or the bolts if you ever get an exhaust leak. SLP sucks there are plenty of better vendors and products out there.

·
GTO = Pontiac shenanigans
3,689 Posts
mikes04gto said:
I just thought i should share this.i bought the slp diablo sport.thinking that the extra 60 bucks or so meant i was getting the best.Well not the case.slp only allows you to adjust a few paramiters vrs what you can do with the standard model.
I called diablo sport and they said i have to buy a whole new unit to be able to adjust injecter slopes or timming. i think it stinks and i will never buy another slp product.
mike

What year is your car? According to quite a few threads the SLP Diablo for 05 06 has a total of 4 tunes on it (2 standard Predator tunes and 2 SLP tunes) So that seems very weird unless it is for a different year

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
people don't buy pedators so they can tune a bunch of stuff. they buy them so they can push a button and pretty much get a canned tune. if you want the ability and flexability to do more you get a full featured tuner like EFIlive or HPT. i have SLP LT headers and a SLP UD pulley, both quality products. a blanket statement on SLP is a bit premature IMHO.

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,434 Posts
I have the SLP tune on my 04 A4. I thinks it was money well spent. My mods are in my signature. The car runs and shitfts great. I will never do much more then a set of shorties and the rockers....I dont need a big dollar tune and the car is happy. I would have purchased their entire performance pac for the 04 but I dont care for underdrive pullies...and long tubes arent legal on this car. I dont know wht SLP takes such beating around here. I have always found them helpful and their stuff works.

·
should have had a v8
523 Posts
just got mine for my 05 and in the modify tune section there are options for injecter slopes and timming as well ass air flow. dont know whats wrong with yours but mine is fine. i hope you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
MarylandSpeed said:
The primary reason to buy the SLP one IMO is because the 455 tune is pretty nice, and it turns off your O2 sensors, which the regular Predator tuner does not do.

It should do everything in the product description below...if not, you need to contact DiabloSport and get them to help you fix it.

SLP Product Description-
Not true dude. I installed my JBA's with no cats and the O2's were already shut off with my canned tune from my Predator. I also installed my 3.91's and there was no adjustment on the Predator for that. I called Diablo and told them what was up and a day later had a new map emailed to me.

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
mikes04gto said:
mike
With your mods a dyno tune or street tune using LS1/2Edit or HPTuners is the only way to go...:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
MarylandSpeed said:
Also, SLP's own product discription says that says it should be able to change gear ratios also. Did Diablosport verify that the tuner was defective or had the wrong tune?
Nothing wrong with the tuner the firmware version adjusts for tire size but not gear ratio. Had a custom map done for me and emailed right back. You should come take a ride and feel the difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have called diablo sport and they told to i had to buy a new unit.I will try slp.My car is a 04 and all i can adjust is fuel 2-4k in 1% changes and fuel 4-7k.plus no option for the o2 delete.witch was one of the main things i was looking for because i plan on lt's with no cats soon. plus i can only turn the rev limiter up to 6800. witch is fine but cam and springs are good till 7.and the speed limit is ony raised to 170 from the stock 155.
thanks for the input i will call slp.
mike

·
Drives With Hands
406 Posts
MarylandSpeed said:
The only difference between the regular Predator, and the SLP Predator is that you get the two additional tunes for the 421 Bobcat Package (for a car with intake and exhaust), and the 455 Bobcat Package (which is for a car with induction, headers, exhaust, and most any other bolt ons).
Just to be sure, do you mean that there should be four tunes stored in the SLP Predator (factory tune, Diablosport tune, SLP 421, and SLP 455)? I ordered mine from you guys last week and got it today, but on the list of tunes available I am only seeing the original, 421, and 455. I made sure it was the one for the LS2 GTO.

·
Drives With Hands
406 Posts
Thanks. I called Diablosport yesterday and was told that the 421 Bobcat tune was what I should be using (I only have a CAI thus far). After flashing the PCM and taking it for a spin, I'm happy with the results.

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
MarylandSpeed said:
I was told that it comes with the same tunes the DiabloSport one does, plus the SLP tunes. If this is not the case, you should give Diablsport a call, and make sure you are looking in the right place, and they did not mess anything uop. The documentation with these is horrible. Either way, the SLP tunes are hands down better than the stock deiablo tunes.
It only comes with 2 tunes - 421 and 455
Also, I tried to raise the rev limit and all i got was 3 options - increase, decrease and cancel. If you select increase, it adds a star to it and nothing else happens....

·
wills
236 Posts
I just received my SLP unit, downloaded the new files/updates and entered tune in my car. Everything worked as it should, just can't drive the car because of [email protected]*ing snow. It has the Diablo tunes and the SLP 421 & 455 tunes. It also has the ability to modify the tunes.

·
400 HP w/ a 6 speed,priceless
114 Posts
I couldn't tell you if SLP packages are any good or not for the GTO.The 455 pack pushes it to 455 hp,supposedly without hurting mileage or drivability.If that is what your looking for it sounds good.They had good stuff for the 4th gen Birds so I figure they have good stuff for Goats.

·
Drives With Hands
406 Posts
I just received my SLP unit, downloaded the new files/updates and entered tune in my car. Everything worked as it should, just can't drive the car because of [email protected]*ing snow. It has the Diablo tunes and the SLP 421 & 455 tunes. It also has the ability to modify the tunes.
Did you receive a serial cable with your Predator to connect it to a PC? I didn't.

·
Trinity Guy
1,333 Posts
Did you receive a serial cable with your Predator to connect it to a PC? I didn't.
The cable can be found at radio shack, standard straight through 9pin to 9-pin serial cable. If needed, a USB to serial will work.

Thanks
Mike

·
wills
236 Posts
Yes I bought the special from Brandon. You can get the cable at Radio shack or any computer store. The DC power supply you buy at Radio Shack too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts