LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought an 03 Z06 for a steal and I am selling my Ws6. Well I need a daily driver and I found a 97 GTP with only 70k miles on it for a steal. Its a coupe and its black and in mint condition. Bone stock and owned by this older gentleman who said it was his wifes car but she passed away two years ago. The car has been sitting but gets started monthly by his son. The battery is removed too. Think all that should be fine. Test drove it and it feels like new and is pretty quick(but not quite quick enough :p). I am picking it up today and ordering some minor mods in about five minutes online. (Pulley, downpipe, colder plugs, DHP PCM,) Was going to get an exhaust too but from what I have read I can just delete a Ubend on it and should get good enough results. I am going to fabricate a fenderwell intake(save about $150 over buying a CAI) So should have fun times ahead. I am also going to make camera mounts for both the Z06 and the GTP to record the fun.
If you guys see anything I should do differently with the GTP let me know. Want to keep it under a grand though. Right now I am at about $425.

I was also thinking of taking the GTP badges off an placing GTO badges in their place. What ya think about that?

LOL just kidding about the badges

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sounds pretty good.
i would look into getting a full cat back exhaust. the stock muffler are pretty restrictive. this will give you better sound and performance. i had the SLP loud mouth on my 97 GTP and it sounded fabulous.
other than that you are on the right track. intake, exhaust, pully, PCM. should give it some more muscle. it will be a great car for you. i loved my GTP. and it was great in the snow.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTOdriver7 said:
sounds pretty good.
i would look into getting a full cat back exhaust. the stock muffler are pretty restrictive. this will give you better sound and performance. i had the SLP loud mouth on my 97 GTP and it sounded fabulous.
other than that you are on the right track. intake, exhaust, pully, PCM. should give it some more muscle. it will be a great car for you. i loved my GTP. and it was great in the snow.
So I read alot about KR. The mufflers will lower that problem? SLP loudmouth, I saw some on ebay for like $50 each. What if I delete the ubend and get the mufflers. That would be okay then. I am going to get a 3.5 or maybe a 3.4 pulley or should I get a smaller one. Maybe I should be posting on the GTP site LOL I read alot over there though.

I dont live in Michigan anymore so snow is not a concern. Georgia now!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
So I read alot about KR. The mufflers will lower that problem? SLP loudmouth, I saw some on ebay for like $50 each. What if I delete the ubend and get the mufflers. That would be okay then. I am going to get a 3.5 or maybe a 3.4 pulley or should I get a smaller one. Maybe I should be posting on the GTP site LOL I read alot over there though.

I dont live in Michigan anymore so snow is not a concern. Georgia now!
i would not go any bigger than 3.4 pulley unless you plan on installing a fuel regulator and upping the fuel pressure. blitzu has said that if you go smaller than 3.4 and dont upgrade the fuel that you risk burning up pistons.

i dont know if the mufflers will help KR. but it should help performance sound. deleting the ubend and getting better mufflers will probbably help as well. but if this is just gonna be your daily driver than i wouldn't go to crazy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You might want to remove the factory resonator as well, its restrictive. I would also recommend poly upper mounts to keep the motor from moving around too much under power and creating false knock. Suspension wise you can get the GMPP kit that makes a nice difference in the handling for a nice price.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you add more air and not a commensurate amount of fuel to maintain the proper A/F ratio in "Power enrichment mode", you will be running lean which can lead to excessive pre-detonation from higher than normal combustion chamber heat, which can cause harm and can put holes in the tops of pistons if bad enough. Melting your pistons would take a HELL of a lot of fire in the hole though. And

Today's PCM's won't let it get to that point though. It'll back off a ton of timing (through knock retard) and you just won't get the power you're trying to add on.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTPDan said:
You might want to remove the factory resonator as well, its restrictive. I would also recommend poly upper mounts to keep the motor from moving around too much under power and creating false knock. Suspension wise you can get the GMPP kit that makes a nice difference in the handling for a nice price.

Poly upper motor mounts? Is this something I could put on myself? Where can I order them from? I also heard that removing the resonator can give you a drone in the car. I saw the GMPP kit, like $120 or something. May do that. Car did seem to flex in turns.
I think I will go with the 3.4 Wont the DHP Chip adjust the fuel? I dont want to burn any pistons. I just want a solid 14 second/13.9 daily driver.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just an FYI, the 97's had a diferent PCM then the later years so make sure you got a PCM specific to the 97's. Also starting in '99 they moved the overflow tank to the fenderwell instead of by the air box, it's a fairly easy change and allows for air to come in around the headlight. Another good mod is changing the rockers, really helps it out on the higher end where GTP's need it the most.

Shawn

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTPDan said:
yes, get rid of the stock resonator. its heavy and unnecesssary.

·
V8 Driver stuck in a V6
1 Posts
GTO/GTP said:
Just an FYI, the 97's had a diferent PCM then the later years so make sure you got a PCM specific to the 97's. Also starting in '99 they moved the overflow tank to the fenderwell instead of by the air box, it's a fairly easy change and allows for air to come in around the headlight. Another good mod is changing the rockers, really helps it out on the higher end where GTP's need it the most.

Shawn
What he said. www.intense-racing.com sells poly motor mounts, and rockers. Id get the first gens. They are reworked stock rockers. I have them along with a few other people and have not had a problem with them, well cept some valve float, but you can also get LS6 springs for that through intense as well. Id say that would still leave you under 1K

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Don't put the GTO badges on the GTP. That is what the riceboys do when they put TypeR badges their cars.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
White Rider said:
Id rather have a GTO with GTP badges than a GTP with GTO badges, and Id rather have a GTO with Monaro badges!
Did someone say Monaro badges?
I just happin to have some :secret:
I am willing to part with a set :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i would not go any bigger than 3.4 pulley unless you plan on installing a fuel regulator and upping the fuel pressure. blitzu has said that if you go smaller than 3.4 and dont upgrade the fuel that you risk burning up pistons.

Sorry, that is BS. You don't need a fuel regulator, but I would highly recommend a DHP PCM. I was running 13.0's @ 105 on the stock fuel system. I was running pretty rich(on purpose) and was right at the limits of the fuel system. But unless you get into the bigger mods, you will be ok on fuel. Even then, I would just upgrade the injectors.

My suggestion?

-get and adjustable pulley system, but stay with a 3.4" unless you do a cam, then you could go smaller.
-make your own cold air intake.
-Don't mess with rockers, for all the work, might as well through a good stage 1 cam in there. I always heard good things about the VS cam from ZZP.
-remove the ubend, resonator.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info guys...I have the car now... Stock still but nice driver, some parts are on the way...

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
What about alcohol injection? Worked for me :) A nice progressive kit from www.alkycontrol.com should do the trick. Then you can pulley up and be safe on pump gas. Apples to oranges but I run 23-24psi on 93 octane and alky injection. On just 93 octane, just 16-17psi. That's with no KR on both setups. Maybe worth looking into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts