LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
ManBearPig, I'm super cereal!
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buying New Tires This Week - Hankook, Kumho or Falken?

Hey everyone, I'm buying new tires this week because, well, I "need" new tires really really really bad lol. I have chosen 3 tires, but after talking to Hollywood, I wasn't sure if they would fit without problems. So can anyone tell me if the following tires will fit (these will be the stock tire size 245/45/ZR17):

1.) Hankook Ventus V4 ES H105 ($100 ea)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?mk=&yr=2005&cf=false&sw=false&cs=245&pc=11846&rd=17&vid=008805&ar=45

2.) Kumho Ecsta SPT ($99 ea)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?mk=&yr=2005&cf=false&sw=false&cs=245&pc=33521&rd=17&vid=008805&ar=45

3.) Falken Ziex ZE-512 ($98 ea)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?mk=&yr=2005&cf=false&sw=false&cs=245&pc=28782&rd=17&vid=008805&ar=45

I've chosen these tires for several reasons. For one, the Hankook tire is at the top of my list mainly because of the treadwear rating. The other reason I've chosen these 3 tires is because I want a ZR rated tire at an affordable price. I do NOT want to spend more than $400 on the tires, so anything that costs more than that will not be considered.

But can anyone tell me if these tires will fit without rubbing? Also, if you have any opinions on these tires, I'd like to know what you think about them too. Thanks.
 

·
www.theangrygoat.com
Joined
·
417 Posts
But can anyone tell me if these tires will fit without rubbing? Also, if you have any opinions on these tires, I'd like to know what you think about them too. Thanks.
Get them OEM size no issues

Heard great things about the Kuhmo, think I will be getting a set soon as well :ftw:
 

·
ManBearPig, I'm super cereal!
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1fstmach said:
Get them OEM size no issues

Heard great things about the Kuhmo, think I will be getting a set soon as well :ftw:
I'm planning on getting these in the OEM size, but i've heard that even though the tire says it is a 245 or whatever, some brands or tire models run a little wider or a little narrower. So i'm not sure if i'll have issues with either of these.
 

·
www.theangrygoat.com
Joined
·
417 Posts
IceBreakerG said:
I'm planning on getting these in the OEM size, but i've heard that even though the tire says it is a 245 or whatever, some brands or tire models run a little wider or a little narrower. So i'm not sure if i'll have issues with either of these.

Those brands are not known to do that :)
 

·
Enthusiast
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
I've heard good things about the SPT's. I ran the ZE512's. They were pretty grippy for all-seasons, did alright in the snow (but not great; they're all seasons), and were inexpensive.

The downsides were that they got pretty loud as they wore (though I didn't notice until I replaced them with new tires and noticed how quiet the car suddenly got), and I only got about 11k miles out of them. However, they were 11k really hard miles, including 2 autox's and a long track day at a road course, as well as all of the twisty mountain roads here in CO. They have fairly soft sidewalls which is good for comfort but bad for turn in.

I would definately buy the ZE512's again, but I will have to remember to drive more gently on them so I can get more miles out of them.
 

·
Fly Fast, Turn Left
Joined
·
512 Posts
The Toyo Proxes ST1 and ContiSport Contact are in or are very close to your price point as far as I can remember. My neighbor has the Kuhmos on his Vette and likes em. I have run the Toyos before and they are decent for the money as well.
 

·
ManBearPig, I'm super cereal!
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IDNTWN2 said:
Sorry - my bad. The Conti is spendy. But.... The RE050a Bridgestone -is on sale at tirerack for 92 bucks. www.tirerack.com. This is a no brainer IMHO
I just checked out the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. I actually wanted these as my first choice a while back but didn't want to pay $170+ ea for them, good to know i can get them for almost half price now. Sucks that shipping is killing the price though ($40.50 for shipping, not too bad). If all goes well, i think i'll get the potenzas instead of the hankooks. Too bad discount tire doesn't carry bridgestone :( Free shipping would've been great lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I just had my dealership install 4 Kumho SPT's and they are great tires on dry or wet roads and they are also much quiter tire then the stock ones buy far. I got mine for $95 each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Get the cheap ones...so when you do burnouts you won't worry about the cost!:gears: :gears:
 

·
Missing my little one.
Joined
·
21,341 Posts
None of the above.

General Tire Exclaim UHP...same size, same load rating as our BFGs high tread wear rating, good all season tire, inexpensive but not cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Recently had Kuhmos on my ride for about five miles, BOTH fronts were bad, shimmy like crazy. Roadforce was WAY off. If you go Kuhmo, get them locally to save yourself potential headaches down the road. Not saying their a bad tire, just maybe the quality control isn't upto snuff.
 

·
Controlled Insanity
Joined
·
287 Posts
I'm assuming you are looking for a good all around tire, not something that is strictly a performance tire. I am personally running Kuhmo Ecsta MX's on my car and they are simply awesome. However, the GTO is not my DD, so I chose the Kumho MX's as they are probably the best performance street tire for the money. I also run Kuhmo ASX's on my Audi and they are great tires as well. So, I guess a vote for Kuhmo.

A couple things though.

Remember when doing your search that you aren't just looking for Z rated tires, but W and Y as well. Z rated tires often are really W or Y, but many manufacturers stick with just Z rated and leaves the W or Y desgination as part of the tire load rating. Z means the tire is capable of 149+, but does not tell you the tires true maximum. W is good to 168 and Y is good to 189. Be sure to include all three types.

Also, the 245/45's will fit fine. The stock BFG's on our cars are notoriously FAT tires. The three brands you listed all run true if not a little on the small side.
 

·
ManBearPig, I'm super cereal!
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NJGOAT said:
I'm assuming you are looking for a good all around tire, not something that is strictly a performance tire. I am personally running Kuhmo Ecsta MX's on my car and they are simply awesome. However, the GTO is not my DD, so I chose the Kumho MX's as they are probably the best performance street tire for the money. I also run Kuhmo ASX's on my Audi and they are great tires as well. So, I guess a vote for Kuhmo.

A couple things though.

Remember when doing your search that you aren't just looking for Z rated tires, but W and Y as well. Z rated tires often are really W or Y, but many manufacturers stick with just Z rated and leaves the W or Y desgination as part of the tire load rating. Z means the tire is capable of 149+, but does not tell you the tires true maximum. W is good to 168 and Y is good to 189. Be sure to include all three types.

Also, the 245/45's will fit fine. The stock BFG's on our cars are notoriously FAT tires. The three brands you listed all run true if not a little on the small side.
Thanks for the info NJGOAT. I'm strongly leaning towards those Bridgestone Potenzas right now. Mainly because those were the ones I was going to get before cost became a factor lol. I believe the Potenza RE050A's are Y speed rated, and since i know the GTO will never see 189, I should be good lol. I appreciate all the information and opinions everyone has given me. Seems like the Kumho's are a favorite around here :)

My friend Ross has had the Potenza's on his older camaro Z28, and he has them on his '01 trans am now and loves them. His dad has them on his impala ss as well, so know the potenza's are good (they were buying them at Costco for like $115 each before Costco stopped selling them). Once the payment on my capital one card goes through i'm going to go ahead and order those Potenzas. I'll let everyone know what i think about them once I get them put on.
 

·
99% Stock
Joined
·
4,968 Posts
IDNTWN2 said:
Sorry - my bad. The Conti is spendy. But.... The RE050a Bridgestone -is on sale at tirerack for 92 bucks. www.tirerack.com. This is a no brainer IMHO

WOW

what does closeout mean? are they no longer being produced?
 

·
99% Stock
Joined
·
4,968 Posts
IDNTWN2 said:
Sorry - my bad. The Conti is spendy. But.... The RE050a Bridgestone -is on sale at tirerack for 92 bucks. www.tirerack.com. This is a no brainer IMHO

even though I am OK with tires now for about next 10 months, this special makes me want to go and buy 4 of these Bridgestones for the future while the price is so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
When I need tires, I always check TireRack's survey results. I've followed their recommendations in the past and have never been dissappointed.
 

·
I like pie.
Joined
·
267 Posts
you couldnt sell me another set of potenzas, clearance or not. Look at the treadwear rating on those.

I am having to replace my stock 18's after 10K miles. Potenza re040's. 140 treadwear too. These things wear ridiculously quick. 10K miles and I DONT drive that hard.

potenzas suck for wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
City Goat said:
None of the above.

General Tire Exclaim UHP...same size, same load rating as our BFGs high tread wear rating, good all season tire, inexpensive but not cheap
+1 here, UHP has proven to ge a great tire for a great price! A few people on this board have tried them out in the stock size and no complaints yet, i have them in 18/19 and i love them. awesome dry traction and sweet wet traction to go with. Good luck, at least give the UHP's a look.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top