LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have 1 question. I am ordering the SW headers today, my question is what exactly do I need to buy besides the headers? I am ordering them with no Cats so I won't need to worry about that. I have been told I can reuse the stock gasket. Just wondering if I will need new header bolts, and where to get the plug-in for the rear O2 sensor, and if I will need the extender for the front on. Sorry I rambled on, but my wife said ok if I can show exact amounts on everything. Gotta keep her happy so I can keep buying Mods
:)

·
dozlert
1,951 Posts
Cool, take pics of the difficult install issues so we can "learn". I helped a vette owner install an exhause and I wished we had a few extra bolts because we twisted some off on the catback. You may ask them if they can throw in a few extra. Good luck!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The headers come with all their own hardware and clamps. I think (memory here) the only thing is the bolts to the head that it uses the factory ones. Since they are not "torque to yield" style, you can re-use them. When in "off-road" setup, the pipes even use the factory brace that mounts to the car between the pipes

A suggestion, unless you like rasp, cackle and crackle, get the cats. They don't kill power that much and may actually increase torque some but sure make the exhaust note a lot more pleasurable. I speak from experience.

You may also need O2 extensions but how many I can't say. You'd be safe to order all 4 (two 12" and 2 24"), use which ones you need, and return the unopened, unused ones.

The reason I say it varies is that I installed my cats this weekend and found that I only needed one extension. The post cat on the driver side had sufficient length, the same on the passenger side could not be said.

Oh, and you may want to buy a few old school "U-Bolt" 3" exhaust clamps. These silly pressure fit ones are ok, but suck a$$ for torquing sometimes. For instance, the one holding my cat to the header pipe was cranked as tight as I could get it, but yet I could still pull the cat off. :eek: THe old fashioned U-bolt clamped fixed that right away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. I think I will try without the cats then if I don't like the sound I will by the cats. Isn't there something I have to get for the rear o2 sensors so that I trick the computer? If so where do I get it at, and where do I get the o2 extensions from? Does stainless works have them?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Right, O2 simms, but you may still need extensions. You can get all this from Speed Inc, or any of the vendors to your left. It's one of those "you won't know until you try things" so having everything up front by planning ahead only makes the project easier. You can also have them turned off via computer if you have HP Tuners.

As to going off road first cats, you may stumble on the problem I had. The cat overall is a tad bit longer than the off-road pipe which threw off the complete geometry of the driver's side to bolting up to the cat-back flange. The passenger side took me 45 minutes from removal to installation and test fit to flange. It took 4 hours to do my driver's side to do the same. I resorted to using the come-a-longs I used to tie cars to my trailer, connected one end to the subframe, wrapped the other end around the post cat pipe and "gently" pulled it into place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts