LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Torrid Red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A younger guy (maybe parent's car?) driving one of these pulled up next to me and I knew he wanted a go at it since he was hauling to catch up to me to get to the stop light. It had rained earlier in the day and as I launched off the line it was pure tire slippage in first, second, 3rd, and 4th. But good enough to still smoke him by atleast 5 car lengths as I shutdown at 100. Stopped at next light and turned on traction control to test out if that would help. Well I wasn't impressed as I still beat him but it was like the car was robbed of half it's horsepower. What's funny is when someone knows they are beat they dont pull up next to you at stoplight, he put his frontend at my rear quaterpanel and then fell in behind me as we left the light :).

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
You sure that was not a ETS or ETC Eldorado? STS is the Seville, and I believe they
are all four doors. The recent northstar engine runs about 300hp front wheel drive.
Nice power, but not nearly enough to catch the GTO!

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yea, that would've been an Eldorado ETC. :D

The Northstar makes excellent power, but it isn't a "hot rod" engine. It's a silky smooth, refined engine. Also, remember those Seville's Deville's and Eldorado's they are in probably top close to 4,000lbs too! :D

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
The Northstars are no slouch. They are pretty peppy but have a governed top speed of 114mph before the computer slows it down to 108 and gives control back to the driver. As far as a stoplight match with the Goat, sorry Caddie, call your On-star to tell them you need MORE POWER!!!

Good kill =-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agree with some of the comments. First, if it was a 2 door STS ... that car would be worth a lot of money ... only one ever made. 2 Door versions were called Eldorado's or ETCs.
NorthStar is a great powertrain, but not the great launch of the LS1. SHould have killed him. Glad you did. But top speed on the car could be higher that 114. They used to offer several tire options, all the way to Z rated which gave you I think 155MPH, but the more common set up was around 135 I think (on STS's. ETC's would have been the same - Not sure what you were actually up against).

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
info,

I'm up on the tire specs and I have first hand experience with the ETC and DTS (I'm almost positive the STS is set up the same). Both cars cut out at 114 mph. Now, I know that they have the ability to go faster but I believe that GM sets the 114 mph limiter due to the main buyer of Caddies which are usually older then 50 and tend to not track they luxo cruiser. Now the CTS-V on the other hand is more our style and it is allowed to hit 155 mph before the fun is shut down . . .

·
Torrid Red
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remember that cadillac commercial that showed the sts with the 300 hp northstar and they mentioned as you approach 160 mph.... etc etc. I thought it was a 2 door but possible that it was 4 door when he turned off after the 3rd stop light I seen the sts on oneside and the northstar on other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what the top speed is for all years ... but I wouldn't bet titles that the caddy cuts out at 114.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/performancereports.htm Bottom of page, lists some STS at 150 MPH

http://www.virtualroadtest.com/CadillacSTS/stsspecs.htm List stock spec 2000 as 150 MPH with factory Z rated optional tires

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13773&page=1&pp=20 Cad forum (I know, you can't believe anything you read in a car forum), but quite a few claim to be north of 114 stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bad .... should always just go to the source. Assuming a "two doow STS" equates to the Eldo Touring Coupe, GM published its top speed at 150 with the optional tires. I still remember reading 130 with the base ETC tires, and like 108-112 with just the basic eldo set up.

ttp://media.gm.com/division/cadillac/products/00cadillac/eldorado/00specs_etc.htm

Still prefer the GTO.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Nice Kill....they arent slouches though. I would wager that a run from 90-140 would be a much better match. They have some serious pull up top and can hang pretty tight with T/As. Hang but not win,,,,Their low-end though is toned down for traction purposes etc...
And an STS or ETC is not limited to 114, raced plenty of them....

·
Registered LS1 User
103 Posts
just back visiting since i traded my gto. not saying my sts is faster than a gto, but i believe it is as fast through the 1/4 mile. clay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts