LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M6 and do a quite a bit of city stop-and-start driving. Sometimes, I get caught with the forced up-shift to 4th and then letting the engine revs drop because of slowing traffic. The engine ends up lugging. When that happens, I try to stay off the gas until I can downshift to 2nd or 3rd or otherwise ease out of it. I've only got about 2,700 miles on the car and this is my first manual since the late-1960s, so there's still some distance to go on my shifting learning curve.

I've heard some pretty dire stories about the effects of lugging, including increased head pressures, burned pistons, etc. I'm concerned about possible damage. Can someone shed some light on this condition and it's effects?

Not that anything can be undone, I'm kinda like those at the other extreme who have verified the existence of the rev limiter a few times. I'm looking for words of assurance that the engine isn't soon destined for recycling into beer cans.

Thanks.
:confused:

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
. I haven't noticed any lugging from my CAGS eliminator.

Simple solution to this. When you see the skip shift icon in your dash, then do what it says! Skip to 4th!

The skip shift eliminator only gives you the privilege to stil go 1-2-3-4 but there is nothing from preventing you from going directly to 4th.

Try it and see how it behaves. I still do this from time to time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know what you mean capra2d the sound of marbles in the cylinders. I use HP Tuners and that is the first thing I disabled. I would get the skip shift eliminated if you are hearing detonation, there are wiring eliminators and tuner eliminators.

I could not find a way to throttle up without the detonation when it would go to 4th, no matter how gentle I was, seems silly to me 20mph dropping the rpms below 800 and being in 4th. It can not save enough gas to make it worth it for me.

As for the possible engine damage I defer to those with more knowledge about this.

GranTurismoOmologato

·
Registered
86 Posts
When in the stop-n-go traffic, why not just start off in 2nd gear?

When you start in 2nd gear, the 1st to 4th skip-shift activation NEVER happens. Starting in 2nd is still pretty easy on the engine, its just the initial take-off from a dead stop. Once you learn to modulate the clutch and throttle correctly for 2nd gear starts, you won't even want to use 1st unless you are doing some performance driving.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I use second gear starts quite a bit in my other vehical. It helps to keep the back end of the truck where it should be in the rain and snow..

In traffic, I usualy go 1>3>5>6 in the GTO

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Any pre-ignition caused by the lugging will be promptly corrected once the knock sensors pick it up. It'll scale back timing and fuel curves in relation to throttle position, MAF inputs, and O2 sensor inputs. So I wouldn't worry. The system will correct itself before any damage can occur.

·
Suffering Fools
15,292 Posts
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but can anybody go into more detail on what happens when the engine is lugging? I've been driving in a gear higher than normal lately to try to keep the mileage up, but there's no sense saving a couple dollars on gas if it's going to ruin the engine prematurely.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts