LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99SoCal, if you're still around these parts, you should be, like me, all goose-bumpy right now. I know how much you love horse racing, and now that we have a new contender for the triple crown, you ought to be pumped.

The story of these blue collar owners of the colt and his trainer are even better than Secretariat, should he go all the way. Looks like they've got a good jockey riding him, too. He ran a perfect race today.

Your thoughts?

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
Love the Pimp Namath avy, malcum.

·
Omertà
5,298 Posts

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
99SoCal, if you're still around these parts, you should be, like me, all goose-bumpy right now. I know how much you love horse racing, and now that we have a new contender for the triple crown, you ought to be pumped.

The story of these blue collar owners of the colt and his trainer are even better than Secretariat, should he go all the way. Looks like they've got a good jockey riding him, too. He ran a perfect race today.

Your thoughts?
You bet your sweet ass!:clap:

You want the story? Here it goes, NO BULLSHIT.

March 8 of this year The wife and I head out to Santa Anita for a usual Kentucky Derby prep (San Felipe Stakes), the lukewarm favorite for the race is a newcomer Cal Bred named California Chrome. At this stage the horse is a total maybe, in March they are all Kentucky Derby maybies. Anyhow the horse wins impressively, about this time the wife and I notice in the 4 boxes directly in front of us a bunch of shiny Green and Purple clothing, not different than the silks on the horse that just won. At any rate a few minutes go by and down the steps right next to us, a half dozen plastic spilling beer cups in tow comes some smurfing Cowboy yelling "How about that California Chrome!" You guessed it, Steve Coburn seated right in front of us.

We pull him aside for a few chats thruout the day and I pick his brain a little, here are the highlights (again this is from March 8th of this year two months before the Kentucky Derby, and straight from Steve Coburn)

- This is their only horse in training (never happens)

- The horse was named by a waitress at a Denny's pulling names out of a hat the partners and their wives had filled with names

- His phone rang, he took the call, on his flip phone.

- Told me he was going to work Monday morning like always

- He told me he drove there in a 1988 Ford Pickup, when I told him he just won a $300,000 race and maybe needed an upgrade he said "FUNNY YOU SAY THAT THERE IS A 97 DODGE I'VE HAD MY EYE ON"

- I asked if they would run in the Santa Anita Derby or wait for Kentucky and he told me they would win the Santa Anita Derby (a $1,000,000 stakes race) "for fun" before heading to Kentucky.

- Told me Bob Baffert scratched a horse named Bayern (who just ran in the Preakness) from the San Felipe because he was scared of the Chrome.

NOW GET THIS:
HE TELLS ME THE HORSE WILL WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN, I TELL HIM SLOW DOWN DUDE, YOU'RE GETTING WAY CARRIED AWAY HERE. AGAIN HE SAYS THE HORSE WILL WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN.

- IT'S BEEN 36 YEARS SINCE SOMEONE WON THE CROWN AND HIS SISTER DIED FROM CANCER AT 36.

WANT MORE?

- THE HORSE WAS BORN ON HER BIRTHDAY.

I don't know if this is all factual but he told it directly to me, and he doesn't seem like the lying type. The last two bits to my knowledge have never been disclosed to the media or in interviews, I suppose you may hear of it in the coming weeks.

I could go on for hours with the shit this guy told me, basically that they have put every minute and every dime they had into this horse because they had faith all along that this was his destiny. We also sat in the same box right behind them again on April 5th for the Santa Anita Derby.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't usually care about horse racing.

But, I'm always pulling for someone to win that Triple Crown and if you win those first two legs, I heart you.

I spent a good hour this morning reading about Barbaro again. A shame, what could have been. That story ALWAYS breaks my heart.:(

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
So I listened to the Cowboy and a week before the Derby placed a triple crown bet.

And after he won the Kentucky Derby we bought tickets to Belmont day so in 3 weeks win lose or draw we will be there.

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You bet your sweet ass!:clap:

You want the story? Here it goes, NO BULLSHIT.

March 8 of this year The wife and I head out to Santa Anita for a usual Kentucky Derby prep (San Felipe Stakes), the lukewarm favorite for the race is a newcomer Cal Bred named California Chrome. At this stage the horse is a total maybe, in March they are all Kentucky Derby maybies. Anyhow the horse wins impressively, about this time the wife and I notice in the 4 boxes directly in front of us a bunch of shiny Green and Purple clothing, not different than the silks on the horse that just won. At any rate a few minutes go by and down the steps right next to us, a half dozen plastic spilling beer cups in tow comes some smurfing Cowboy yelling "How about that California Chrome!" You guessed it, Steve Coburn seated right in front of us.

We pull him aside for a few chats thruout the day and I pick his brain a little, here are the highlights (again this is from March 8th of this year two months before the Kentucky Derby, and straight from Steve Coburn)

- This is their only horse in training (never happens)

- The horse was named by a waitress at a Denny's pulling names out of a hat the partners and their wives had filled with names

- His phone rang, he took the call, on his flip phone.

- Told me he was going to work Monday morning like always

- He told me he drove there in a 1988 Ford Pickup, when I told him he just won a $300,000 race and maybe needed an upgrade he said "FUNNY YOU SAY THAT THERE IS A 97 DODGE I'VE HAD MY EYE ON"

- I asked if they would run in the Santa Anita Derby or wait for Kentucky and he told me they would win the Santa Anita Derby (a $1,000,000 stakes race) "for fun" before heading to Kentucky.

- Told me Bob Baffert scratched a horse named Bayern (who just ran in the Preakness) from the San Felipe because he was scared of the Chrome.

NOW GET THIS:
HE TELLS ME THE HORSE WILL WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN, I TELL HIM SLOW DOWN DUDE, YOU'RE GETTING WAY CARRIED AWAY HERE. AGAIN HE SAYS THE HORSE WILL WIN THE TRIPLE CROWN.

- IT'S BEEN 36 YEARS SINCE SOMEONE WON THE CROWN AND HIS SISTER DIED FROM CANCER AT 36.

WANT MORE?

- THE HORSE WAS BORN ON HER BIRTHDAY.

I don't know if this is all factual but he told it directly to me, and he doesn't seem like the lying type. The last two bits to my knowledge have never been disclosed to the media or in interviews, I suppose you may hear of it in the coming weeks.

I could go on for hours with the shit this guy told me, basically that they have put every minute and every dime they had into this horse because they had faith all along that this was his destiny. We also sat in the same box right behind them again on April 5th for the Santa Anita Derby.
Great story. Thanks for sharing it. I knew you'd be all hyped up, especially with the horse being from Ca.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
Catching a flight tonight to New York spend a few days seeing the city and Saturday I'll try not to piss my pants in anticipation.

·
Where am I?
1,028 Posts
:thumbs:

I'm surprised there's not more hype about the Belmont.
Quite a bit of buzz here in California, in horse racing sadly the general public doesn't give a shit until race day.

I'm pretty excited, even more so now that my bank account is empty from planning the trip. LOL

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quite a bit of buzz here in California, in horse racing sadly the general public doesn't give a shit until race day.

I'm pretty excited, even more so now that my bank account is empty from planning the trip. LOL
Bank accounts can be replenished. You may never get another chance to be there for a triple crown shot. Have fun.

Give us a report when you get back.

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
They should have named him California Holmes
Took me a few seconds........ :lol:

Jockey Victor Espinoza live from Belmont on teh TV for an interview this morning. He makes a funny about him wearing a nasal strip also on race day.

·
REDKEYN
3,817 Posts
:thumbs:

I'm surprised there's not more hype about the Belmont.
Yeah me too. I don't think people really grasp how hard this is to do and how few times it's been done. If CC wins I don't expect to see another TC winner in my lifetime.

Or maybe they just don't care...

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
57,455 Posts
That was a disappointment :(

I now want to go back to the horse track though. Haven't been in a few years.

·
Still not Mexican.
1,278 Posts
Steve Coburn really showed his ass in the post race interview...a lot of sour grapes there.

·
REDKEYN
3,817 Posts
:(

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
well that sucked.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts