LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is it mandatory to have license plates in front and back? on dmv's site it just says 'rear plates are required' but says nothing about fronts. my dealership called and said they needed to put the rear license plates on my car for me because you need to use a special rivet gun--is this BS? i thought rivets were only for the front. are they trying to install both plates, instead of just the rear???

·
73 Plymouth Barracuda
695 Posts
It's a ticket if you don't have a front plate. But some people are putting the plate in the front window.I would be calling them to make sure what they are doing. It is riveted to the front bumper.

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm. thanks. what did you do for this issue? did you put the front bracket on? it looks so ugly to me and i dont want to do that. my mom's e430 does not have a front license plate and she's never been pulled over here. do you think that I would still get pulled over, just because of the type of car I drive and the fact that I'm 16?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Both front and rear licence plates are screwed on, not rivited but the front licence plat bracket is rivited on. The licence plates are normally mailed to your house not the dealer. I would go get the plates and not let them install them as something does not sound right. I would not take the GTO to pick up the plates either.

·
73 Plymouth Barracuda
695 Posts
I bought my car at Marina in San Leandro. The license frame was all ready on my car when I bought it. I told them that since the car might be a collector that they might not put them on. But they still do.

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks again, carcrazygirl and fremont gto. Yeah my parents already picked up the plates for me in their car, but now the sheisty dealership is saying I have to go there to get help putting the plates on, because I can't do it "without a rivet gun". :sneaky: whatever I dont think I'll get a ticket in my area (San Jose and Cupertino). If I do, then I'll put it on for a month or so, then take it off or place it behind the windshield. :secret:

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Just put it in the front windshield passenger side and use some small suction cups. A few people do it that way.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Yup, that gives you 5 feet to play with. You could mount the front plate near the top of the windshield if that was your prerogative.

Thanks for the appropriate code sections, phobos. Going to carry those around in my glovebox for safe keeping. ;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
None of my cars have plates on the front, it looks like crap.

I have gotten out of two front license plate tickets by arguing with the cop and pointing out that the penal code says "License plates front and rear; if only one affix to rear of vehicle" they let me go both times.

Or you can just drill the bumper and put a couple small colored plugs in there, then if you get a fix-it ticket put the plate on, pay the $10, then remove it again.

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
None of my cars have plates on the front, it looks like crap.

I have gotten out of two front license plate tickets by arguing with the cop and pointing out that the penal code says "License plates front and rear; if only one affix to rear of vehicle" they let me go both times.
I agree. So I'm confused. What exactly do you tell them? Are you telling them that you were issued one license plate, so you therefore can only put it on the rear?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Never had front plates and only 1 ticket on my Corvette driving to Reno on 80.

$10 bucks and a signoff.

Tell them NO front bracket or you won't accept the car. Putnam didn’t install mine and it's sitting on the self.

·
Stand Back - I Spray!
693 Posts
Front plates are required.....check my sig to see just how concerned I am about it.....:D

·
Master of All I Survey
31 Posts
Hmmm, my dealer had me sign a waiver of some sort, so that I couldn't blame them if I got a ticket for no front plate. So, no front bracket. See if these guys could do the same...

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
i never put mine on, but i always mmob. my bro never put it on his impala 96 ss, and he never mhob. it wasn't until he ignored that fix it ticket that added up to $400+ that he finaly put his plate up on front.

putting it by the windshield is just asking to get pulled over imo. :burnout:

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ddawson said:
Never had front plates and only 1 ticket on my Corvette driving to Reno on 80.

$10 bucks and a signoff.

Tell them NO front bracket or you won't accept the car. Putnam didn’t install mine and it's sitting on the self.
well it's too late for that, since I already bought the car a month ago. But they still called a few weeks ago once the plates came in (we chose to have them delivered to the dealership) and they said that i needed to go there to install it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been pulled over twice by the same Sac PD officer for not having a front license plate i just pay the $10 and go about my business its my car and like the look without it screw them.
BTW i think he is jealous of our Goats he told me he has a "rare" bullet Ruststang.

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
I have been running without front plates, on all of my cars, since 1978...never a ticket for no front plate, but just about everything else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts