LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was turned onto this by Zach at last Friday's GTG. Thanks bud.

Found this on the DMV's website, this may be common knowledge to some of you but this is news to me. I wanted clarification from someone other than myself that I'm reading this right.

According to this, owners of vehicles six or less model years old can pay an annual smog abatement fee ($12) for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. Even upon change of ownership or transfer of title if your car is 4 or less model years old, a smog test isn't required.

By my math, that means ’04 owners wont be required to show proof of a passed smog test until…2010? Am I missing something obvious here? Or am I reading this right? Would save some of us some major hassles if this is true, myself included. Anyway, I just wanted to run it past you people, see what you thought.

Here is a link to the California DMV website info on Smog Information. (Scroll down to the bottom, second to last FAQ question.)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

EDIT: I sort of found my own answer, this DMV chart is pretty self explainatory. We are NOT required to have a biennial smog cert until 2010. So basically, you can pay a $12 Smog Abatement Fee every other year instead of having to get a smog cert.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/vehicle_model_years_subject_to_smog_check.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
new cars are infact 6 years before smog, i have an 02 but i have not smogged yet. they said not until 2008 hence my setup =)

·
New home track: Nürburgring
3,590 Posts
Yep, that's why you gotta mod the crap out of your car and sell it < 4 years and get something new. Then you never have to get smogs and let the new owners deal with it. :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
On my new cars I've never had to request this. I just never got a registration bill with "smog test required".

Are you saying we have to request this now?

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it could be that the Smog Abatement fee is just included in your registration costs. If for whatever reason they do tell you that you need a smog, then you just pay the Abatement fee to bypass it.

Sounds like though, that they automatically include the fee on the model years that it applies to, according to your experience.

·
New home track: Nürburgring
3,590 Posts
terryk said:
On my new cars I've never had to request this. I just never got a registration bill with "smog test required".

Are you saying we have to request this now?
No. When your registration comes, it will automatically charge you the abatement fee if applicable for your vehicle. When your 6 years are up, then they'll start asking for smog test.

·
street terrorist
711 Posts
let me know if you guys need to get "smogged" ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
snowairg said:
No. When your registration comes, it will automatically charge you the abatement fee if applicable for your vehicle. When your 6 years are up, then they'll start asking for smog test.
Yes, that was my understanding. I've never had to ask for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts