LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Sorry... didn't know you were a Karen...

Lol Can't even take constructive criticism. When you can do something else other then talk shit on the net, let's circle back and have a conversation like adults. 馃憤馃徏

Registered
You need a tissue for your tears?

Can't wait to see the results from this clusterfk combination of yours....

Oh and BTW - check out the free "help" provided on post #10... Missed that huh?

Seems like your reading comprehension is just as bad as your camshaft selection!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You need a tissue for your tears?

Can't wait to see the results from this clusterfk combination of yours....

Oh and BTW - check out the free "help" provided on post #10... Missed that huh?

Seems like your reading comprehension is just as bad as your camshaft selection!

Lol again you're trying to be a cool kid. I'm a 13 year combat veteran who's had his own business and now has terminal cancer. I'm trying to get educated on cams and what to do because this build is for my 13 year old son who I won't get to see graduate from high-school. I don't have the money to have it done anymore because I have lost everything to cancer. I have enough money and strength left to do this on my own and leave my son something that we are both into which is cars. People like you talk shit on the net trying to be the cool kid and have 0 clue who you're addressing. You want to be cool while making a complete ass hat off your self. So if you want to keep making fun of me please do it at your own peril. People will see what a complete idiot you have been and slowly but surely people will realize that you're nothing but a nobody who needs his ego stroked on the net because IRL you're an empty sad human being. Keep going because this will be fun to watch.

Worthless reject member
i would suggest calling a few places that specialize in specing cam, like cam motion, texas speed, flowtech (even though y'all mad at each other now). honestly that's better than starting a thread about it. everyone has different opinions, but guys that dyno engines day in and out and have seen thousands of different combos can do a better job for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i would suggest calling a few places that specialize in specing cam, like cam motion, texas speed, flowtech (even though y'all mad at each other now). honestly that's better than starting a thread about it. everyone has different opinions, but guys that dyno engines day in and out and have seen thousands of different combos can do a better job for you.
I've been seen a lot of people talking about cam motion. Also Ed Curtis did the cam for my corvette. But haven't communicated with him in over a decade. I have a buddy who might still have his contact info just waiting on his response. If you would happen to know anyone who has it and can forward it to me I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for all your help on this and for being patient with my mistakes. Sometimes it's hard for me to convey completely what I want to say because chemo affects brain function, it's called (chemo brain) but you looked over that and I truly appreciate it.

Registered
2004 M6 PMB
Wait a minute, nitrous build for a 13 year old / future first car !?
Wow.

Reactions: bo06gto

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Wait a minute, nitrous build for a 13 year old / future first car !?
Wow.
The nitrous will be available when He's ready. I will give him am NA car. I still have a few years left in me thays why I'm building this. I have nothing left to give him. This cancer tool everything I had money houses toys, had to sell everything. Don't get cancer you'll spend about half a mill in treatment alone. This is my second time around with it. Same cancer sprouted somewhere else. So they said it's terminal.

Worthless reject member
The nitrous will be available when He's ready. I will give him am NA car. I still have a few years left in me thays why I'm building this. I have nothing left to give him. This cancer tool everything I had money houses toys, had to sell everything. Don't get cancer you'll spend about half a mill in treatment alone. This is my second time around with it. Same cancer sprouted somewhere else. So they said it's terminal.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can live life to the best you can. Cancer killed more than my mom, it killed her spirit and will to live what life she had left. I hated to see her like that,

Yes my name is Holden
Greetings bo06gto & all; I read most of the back & forth. Thank you for your service. I gave 4 years back in the 60's. Been buildin' engines since 62. The First & biggest mistake first time, second & sometimes 3 time cam swappers make is "TOO MUCH CAM". Your goal has to start with traction & to decide how much you want to exceed the the tires you have in mind. Then next how much do I want to spend on drive train parts? Including the trans & or clutch. Then The Biggie how much will my heads flow? And at that point you can bring up the cam question. This whole hot rod hobby comes down to port flow. Do not over cam your intake team (air box, TB, intake manifold & head intake runner. Same on the exit side. Plan how much flow will be commin' in & how much exhaust capacity you will need. You see now it becomes expensive if you want a engine team to make the most of your money & time. So in closing, "I call the manufacture's tech line". They actually usually know more than us hobby wrenches (us). I've been calling Comp Cams since the early 80's or if ya don't like talkin' to people you can E-mail them. You may want to read what I used for putting 431 HP 427 Lbs. of Twist the rear hubs with a 209* Int w .599" lift & 217* Ext w .607" lift @5600 senior cam. And it behaves very similar to stock! Good Luck Ole' Bob.
Ps: I tried to attach the dyno video, but I'm tech challenged.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can live life to the best you can. Cancer killed more than my mom, it killed her spirit and will to live what life she had left. I hated to see her like that,
I won't let it kill my spirit I smile everybday, Im so close to God that I have started to look at cancer as a gift not a bad thing. It has allowed me to become a better father to my children it has allowed me to be a better husband to my wife. I'm more thankful for every day that I get. Before I was working 80+ hours a week building a business that I would leave my kids, yet I wasn't home enough to build a relationship with them. Even when I was on vacation with my children, I was on my phone with management staff or suppliers so on and so on. Now that all that I thought I couldn't live with out is gone, I have become a much better human being. Cancer will do two things in life, it will either make you thankful or it will make you bitter. I have chosen to be thankful. The chemo I'm taking will extend my life for a few more years but Jesus will give me eternal life. Be blessed Brother. And thank you 馃馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Greetings bo06gto & all; I read most of the back & forth. Thank you for your service. I gave 4 years back in the 60's. Been buildin' engines since 62. The First & biggest mistake first time, second & sometimes 3 time cam swappers make is "TOO MUCH CAM". Your goal has to start with traction & to decide how much you want to exceed the the tires you have in mind. Then next how much do I want to spend on drive train parts? Including the trans & or clutch. Then The Biggie how much will my heads flow? And at that point you can bring up the cam question. This whole hot rod hobby comes down to port flow. Do not over cam your intake team (air box, TB, intake manifold & head intake runner. Same on the exit side. Plan how much flow will be commin' in & how much exhaust capacity you will need. You see now it becomes expensive if you want a engine team to make the most of your money & time. So in closing, "I call the manufacture's tech line". They actually usually know more than us hobby wrenches (us). I've been calling Comp Cams since the early 80's or if ya don't like talkin' to people you can E-mail them. You may want to read what I used for putting 431 HP 427 Lbs. of Twist the rear hubs with a 209* Int w .599" lift & 217* Ext w .607" lift @5600 senior cam. And it behaves very similar to stock! Good Luck Ole' Bob.
Ps: I tried to attach the dyno video, but I'm tech challenged.
Thank you and Thank you for your service also Brother. My pops did as well Army 1st Cav infantry '66 Vietnam.

I have an idea of cam I want to put in her. I truly want the power to be between 1800-6500 rpms. Had a corvette that revved out to 7200 rpms with shift points at 6800 and nitrous cut off at 6500. I'll be leaving this GTO to my youngest boy who's into cars and wants to be an engineer to build cars, fast ones at that. Lol. After all the advice I have looked at cam motion and from what I have read they have some nice cams

With that said I am definitely open to what people have to say. The car has all the bolts on and I got a great deal on it. A buddy of mine his son just got a ZO6 so I picked this car up cheap about 2.5 weeks ago. So the money I saved will be going back into it. It has all the Bolt on and runs hard. I was thinking of rolling the fenders or even having them cut so I can add a bigger tire to the back like a 285 or 95 depending with the right wheel off set for more traction. Had good luck back in the day with Toyo R888 product. Cutting 60ft times of 1.6 and running a 10sec 1/4 on my corvette with a 150 nitrous hit. I ended up doing so much more work to the car and sold it for pennies on the dollar. My boy when he was little would bring me tools. The wrong ones but he tried helping lol.

I know that I probably won't get there because budgets are different now. I also know that building a manual will be a lot different then building an auto. I know how to turn wrenches I'm just not an internal engine guy. So I will be learning as I go along. Thank you for taking time to address this with me and I will take a look at the video you posted. I'll pm you and get more advice from you. Looking forward to conversing more with you.

Ps the vid is juts a pic.

Registered
2004 M6 PMB
The First & biggest mistake first time, second & sometimes 3 time cam swappers make is "TOO MUCH CAM". Your goal has to start with traction & to decide how much you want to exceed the the tires you have in mind. Then next how much do I want to spend on drive train parts? Including the trans & or clutch. Then The Biggie how much will my heads flow? And at that point you can bring up the cam question. This whole hot rod hobby comes down to port flow. Do not over cam your intake team (air box, TB, intake manifold & head intake runner. Same on the exit side. Plan how much flow will be commin' in & how much exhaust capacity you will need. You see now it becomes expensive if you want a engine team to make the most of your money & time.
Bob, Best post in a long time. I will add; understand the impact of bore size, stroke ,and rod length (and engine family, i.e. LS), which impact cam selection. Stroker vs stock, LS1 3.898" bore vs 4.00" LS2. Compression ratio.

I think there was a saying referring to the 4 Cs for building NA power: CFM, compression, cubes, cam.

I agree with Bob. The entire intake tract flow needs to be understood, along with head intake / exhaust flow ratio, for cam selection.

Reactions: vanrah and bo06gto

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Bob, Best post in a long time. I will add; understand the impact of bore size, stroke ,and rod length (and engine family, i.e. LS), which impact cam selection. Stroker vs stock, LS1 3.898" bore vs 4.00" LS2. Compression ratio.

I think there was a saying referring to the 4 Cs for building NA power: CFM, compression, cubes, cam.

I agree with Bob. The entire intake tract flow needs to be understood, along with head intake / exhaust flow ratio, for cam selection.
What I think I'm going to donos pick a set of heads first. That way I know valve size chamber size. Then go from there. It would be ignorant on my part ot start picking a cam out with out having a set of heads that will be mated to. I'll be picking up that block sometime this week also. This will give me.time to doore research and pin down exact what I will do. I might forego n2o all together. In my experience 450 whp for a street car is plenty good. I can set this up have fun with it and be a good car my kid can build upon and make it his once I'm gone. If he wants to add what ever he wants after wards that will be on him. Building a solid NA motor is the best way to go on this.
Thank you for your input. Truly appreciate all the information.

Registered
2004 M6 PMB
I'll be leaving this GTO to my youngest boy who's into cars and wants to be an engineer to build cars, fast ones at that.
Get him involved in the component selection process. Perfect time for a future engineer to start thinking of parts interactions / cause and effects. Have him help with assembly to see / learn. Wish I had the internet 40 years ago. Way easier to research today. I originally want to be an engineer in the auto field, but here in CT aerospace opportunities were abound, so that the direction I went. That's benefit of engineering whatever industry one works, the logical mindset flows into your hobbies like cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Get him involved in the component selection process. Perfect time for a future engineer to start thinking of parts interactions / cause and effects. Have him help with assembly to see / learn. Wish I had the internet 40 years ago. Way easier to research today. I originally want to be an engineer in the auto field, but here in CT aerospace opportunities were abound, so that the direction I went. That's benefit of engineering whatever industry one works, the logical mindset flows into your hobbies like cars.
Definitely will do that. He is stoked about this. It's going to be a really good bonding period with him and memories that will last him a life time. The funny thing of life is that when we look back upon it we are doing all these things that we have been taught to do as men. Work hard provide for your family forego of things so that the family is secure, but we are never taught that one of the most important thing is the bond between children and fathers.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts