LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
What I think I'm going to donos pick a set of heads first. That way I know valve size chamber size. Then go from there. It would be ignorant on my part ot start picking a cam out with out having a set of heads that will be mated to. I'll be picking up that block sometime this week also. This will give me.time to doore research and pin down exact what I will do. I might forego n2o all together. In my experience 450 whp for a street car is plenty good. I can set this up have fun with it and be a good car my kid can build upon and make it his once I'm gone. If he wants to add what ever he wants after wards that will be on him. Building a solid NA motor is the best way to go on this.
Thank you for your input. Truly appreciate all the information.
You don’t need near that big of a cam for 450rwhp out of a 6 liter, especially with a standard trans. My buddy that I built a turbo kit for made 455rwhp naturally aspirated with a little 224/224 cam, ported stock heads, headers and a fast intake…through a stalled auto. I’d pick something like a 228/240-242 on a 114 lobe sep for a nitrous motor. Btw, a huge exhaust split doesn’t kill power. Sometimes it doesn’t help (usually does) but it doesn’t hurt. Contrary to the old wives tail, backpressure In the exhaust isn’t your friend. Years ago in the late 90’s I made 447rwhp and 479tq with an old sbc 383 stroker. Fuel injected, 230/244 hydraulic cam with solid roller lifters on it, shifted at 7800rpm. Home ported fast burn heads by me who was a kid back then. 11.8:1 compression and ran on pump 93. Daily driver, full interior 3rd Gen with functioning everything, got 19-20mpg and it ran [email protected] n/a. Combo is everything. O, that was with a 1.9-2.0 60ft on bald nt555r crappy tires. Everyone told me that cam wouldn’t work. It wouldn’t pull to 7800. I couldn’t drive it every day. Pahahahaha. It was driven to Houston and Panama City a few times from Louisiana. I did break the rear end in Florida once. That was fun rebuilding a Rear end in the hotel gravel parking lot. I went bought tools from Walmart. And returned when I was done. Lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You don’t need near that big of a cam for 450rwhp out of a 6 liter, especially with a standard trans. My buddy that I built a turbo kit for made 455rwhp naturally aspirated with a little 224/224 cam, ported stock heads, headers and a fast intake…through a stalled auto. I’d pick something like a 228/240-242 on a 114 lobe sep for a nitrous motor. Btw, a huge exhaust split doesn’t kill power. Sometimes it doesn’t help (usually does) but it doesn’t hurt. Contrary to the old wives tail, backpressure In the exhaust isn’t your friend. Years ago in the late 90’s I made 447rwhp and 479tq with an old sbc 383 stroker. Fuel injected, 230/244 hydraulic cam with solid roller lifters on it, shifted at 7800rpm. Home ported fast burn heads by me who was a kid back then. 11.8:1 compression and ran on pump 93. Daily driver, full interior 3rd Gen with functioning everything, got 19-20mpg and it ran [email protected] n/a. Combo is everything. O, that was with a 1.9-2.0 60ft on bald nt555r crappy tires. Everyone told me that cam wouldn’t work. It wouldn’t pull to 7800. I couldn’t drive it every day. Pahahahaha. It was driven to Houston and Panama City a few times from Louisiana. I did break the rear end in Florida once. That was fun rebuilding a Rear end in the hotel gravel parking lot. I went bought tools from Walmart. And returned when I was done. Lol.
Thanks for the info. Everyone who's taken time to explain things to me is very appreciated. I definitely feel that there's so much I need to learn when it comes to internals. The one thing that I do want is a cam that makes its power under the curve. From like 1800-6500 rpms. I know that the cam will be much like the 224/224 you mentioned. I was just looking at Cam Motion and Comp cams off the shelves and they got some nice cams. I saw tgis Comp cam has one I looked at 231/239 617/624 on a 113. I wan to get my heads set first because I'm looking if I'm going with a smaller cam, much like you I'll have heads who have a 63-64CC chamber to bring up the compression. The thing I have to be careful with is that where I am at I can only get 91 octane so to stay on the safe side, staying between 10.5:1-11:1 compression would probably be best. That's the other thing I have to take into consideration.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If you are only wanting 6500rpm, then there’s no need to seek duration in the 230’s. The cam I have now, 222/233 on a 115 pulled to 7000 in my 5.7. I’d imagine it would pull to 6500 easily in a 6.0. Btw, the little cam I have, it’s called a summit ghost cam. It works really well na, turbo or nitrous. The guy I bought it from made 455rwp in a trans am, 5.7, ported truck heads, fast intake and a highly stalled auto. He ran 11.10’s at 122ish on the motor. Stock bottom end 5.7 with a 4l60e. Combo is everything. Unfortunately there’s no magic cam. Honestly if you were to put that huge nasty cam in your car, you’d probably be unhappy with it. You would need a large stall if your an auto, you’d have low and moderate speed bucking issues and you’d need more gear. It would be a dog down low. If you are building this for your kid, err on the more conservative side. You don’t want him constantly chasing valvetrain issues, that would be a factor too.
Remember the guy I mentioned with the 224/224? Short story. He went to the track. Ran like 11.70’s (which is good for him because he has no drag racing experience) and wanted to go faster. So what does he do? Puts a bigger cam. Goes back. Car is slower. I told him it would be. So then he changes the stall. I think he ended up back where he was except now the car was much louder, more rowdy and no longer fun to drive. So now what? Well he took that big cam out and put a smaller one back in. And he was happier. Then I built him a turbo kit. Lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
If you are only wanting 6500rpm, then there’s no need to seek duration in the 230’s. The cam I have now, 222/233 on a 115 pulled to 7000 in my 5.7. I’d imagine it would pull to 6500 easily in a 6.0. Btw, the little cam I have, it’s called a summit ghost cam. It works really well na, turbo or nitrous. The guy I bought it from made 455rwp in a trans am, 5.7, ported truck heads, fast intake and a highly stalled auto. He ran 11.10’s at 122ish on the motor. Stock bottom end 5.7 with a 4l60e. Combo is everything. Unfortunately there’s no magic cam. Honestly if you were to put that huge nasty cam in your car, you’d probably be unhappy with it. You would need a large stall if your an auto, you’d have low and moderate speed bucking issues and you’d need more gear. It would be a dog down low. If you are building this for your kid, err on the more conservative side. You don’t want him constantly chasing valvetrain issues, that would be a factor too.
Remember the guy I mentioned with the 224/224? Short story. He went to the track. Ran like 11.70’s (which is good for him because he has no drag racing experience) and wanted to go faster. So what does he do? Puts a bigger cam. Goes back. Car is slower. I told him it would be. So then he changes the stall. I think he ended up back where he was except now the car was much louder, more rowdy and no longer fun to drive. So now what? Well he took that big cam out and put a smaller one back in. And he was happier. Then I built him a turbo kit. Lol.
That's what I needed to hear. Definitely will go with a smaller cam then and I'll look into the ghost cam that you have and another cam I looked at its 224/228 on a 113+4. Main goal for the car is to be a docile street light to street light fighter. Also when my kids gets the car, the vehicle will last him another 80K miles. Great info really this is what I'm in need of. 🤘🏽👊🏽

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I want to take a second to thank Vanrah for taking some time out of his day to explain a lot of engine internals from bottom to top.

Much appreciate it Sir.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
That's what I needed to hear. Definitely will go with a smaller cam then and I'll look into the ghost cam that you have and another cam I looked at its 224/228 on a 113+4. Main goal for the car is to be a docile street light to street light fighter. Also when my kids gets the car, the vehicle will last him another 80K miles. Great info really this is what I'm in need of. 🤘🏽👊🏽
Just to let you know, nitrous and supercharging likes a fairly large split on intake to exhaust. Think....air in being forced in one side, which would be akin to having more intake duration, thus needing additional exhaust duration. The reason the 224/224 cam worked well in my buddies car was he had a 230+ cfm exhaust port, 1 7/8 headers and dual 3" exhaust. if your exhaust isnt going to be that efficient, plan on more exhaust duration. Do plan on more duration for sure if you are using nitrous. I like 12-14 degrees more on the exhaust. theres a little more to it than that, but that will get you very close...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Just to let you know, nitrous and supercharging likes a fairly large split on intake to exhaust. Think....air in being forced in one side, which would be akin to having more intake duration, thus needing additional exhaust duration. The reason the 224/224 cam worked well in my buddies car was he had a 230+ cfm exhaust port, 1 7/8 headers and dual 3" exhaust. if your exhaust isnt going to be that efficient, plan on more exhaust duration. Do plan on more duration for sure if you are using nitrous. I like 12-14 degrees more on the exhaust. theres a little more to it than that, but that will get you very close...
Awesome I have 17/8 headers already, have a FAST 92 on its way with a 92 throttle body but after talking to Vanrah today I think I'll port the snout to fit a 102mm TB. I have 60lbs injectors on hand, and looking at vetting AFR 225cc runner heads. This would be going to my kid here in about 3-4 years and mom would definitely know when to actually give him the keys since I won't be around. I'm looking forward to having him help me so he will have an idea of what to do if he wants giggle juice or FI. I just really want a solid NA car like I mentioned. Giving a 16-17 yr old kid a nitrous car regardless of what you teach him would be a time bomb and I don't want to see my boy where I'm going for a long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have posted numbers from my dyno/tune run yesterday on the tuning forum. She's running strong with just bolts on. 353 rwhp and 364 rwtq with 112k miles on the clock. Even my tuner was impressed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lol Can't even take constructive criticism. When you can do something else other then talk shit on the net, let's circle back and have a conversation like adults. 👍🏼
EDC or EBC? Nobody has racked up calling people “Karen’s” more than him. A very unhappy person and does nothing but talk sht. Plenty of sources for cam advice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
EDC or EBC? Nobody has racked up calling people “Karen’s” more than him. A very unhappy person and does nothing but talk sht. Plenty of sources for cam advice.
There's no need to feed this convo. Everything that needed to be said has been said and I'll keep praying for this man. People will see what they want from this and make their choices moving forward. God bless you and yours.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Look at the pity party people... So funny... Pathetic...

Ask for advice and it was given Bo. Didn't pay any attention to that advice but instead you decided to tell me how to run my company?

Remember this Bo?

I'm not dismissing you I replied that maybe I should go with a different cam like a GT11 and got no response other then a snarky remark. How about this:

"I see you're trying to get advice. The cam you're looking at won't work because a b c and d. Me I'd look at another cam. Maybe look at these cams a b or c would work better. What's your ultimate goal and that would help me help you out."

That would be better then talking down to someone. We are all grown men who pay our own bills some of us own businesses and don't talk down to people who don't know rather then take a moment to explain and educate some who are ignorant on the subject matter. I'm sure that you don't know anything about windshield installation but I would take time to educate you instead of talking down to or try to be funny at your expense. I've been doing windshields for 15 years and have had a business for 8. So if you're still wanting to come back at me save your energy and go somewhere else to be snarky and condicending. I'm asking to be educated.

Thank you 👍🏼

Who is the actual "snarky" one here Bo? Try using a mirror!

A whole eight years in business... Wow... Impressive. Four decades for me and still going strong.... in spite of the current administration.

You'd be better to pray for insecure people like "Frank" on here. I'm all set with my life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure you swap the valley cover hardware so you dont crack it.
Good heads up on that valley hardware mr Naughty.
It’s that time of year that Vengeance Racing has there Black Friday sale on a free porting on Fast92s and a good price on the manifold itself. Not to mention the porting was second to none.

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
344 Posts
I have posted numbers from my dyno/tune run yesterday on the tuning forum. She's running strong with just bolts on. 353 rwhp and 364 rwtq with 112k miles on the clock. Even my tuner was impressed.
You have good running LS1. Can make good power with heads /cam / intake. Why pulled it out for a 100lb weight increase of the iron block on the front end ?

Reactions: bo06gto and vanrah

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
You have good running LS1. Can make good power with heads /cam / intake. Why pulled it out for a 100lb weight increase of the iron block on the front end ?
I'm debating that myself now. My tuner said if I go FI that I can easily get 600 rwhp out of the LS1. I don't know if I will go FI but I will definitely stay with this engine. The 6L will go bye bye because this build isn't just for me. And regardless of what you teach a kid giving an 18 yr old a FI car you're just asking for problems regardless whether I'm around or not.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts