LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I'm thinking of getting a mild cam for my car.

I'm thinking of getting 212/218 114lsa Competition Cams with Comp 918 Valve springs. Do you think its a good choice? What kind of gains will I get with and without ported heads? Do I need Titatanium retainers and pushrods?

Thanks

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I would go with the 224/224 cam, with the 918's, retainers, and pushrods. I kinda think that the 212/218 would be alittle to mild, and plus they both come in 114 LSA so theyll both idle very well, depending on where you set your idle. I would guess you'd put down around 380 to the wheels with a good tune. Are you thinking about a torque converter at all, cause that'll really wake that car up.

-Brian

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
The guys on LS1tech say that everybody goes too small with their first cam swap - like IBMgoat says. I don't have any experience other than reading lots of comments - but that's what they all say.
Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
CAM Infomation

Check out Chevy High Performance August issue. They test 3 comp cams on a LS1 with 4 different intake manifolds. Data is dyno runs with long tube headers and no accessories so the numbers are high. The 212/218 cam was 33.5 hp higher at peak. Torque at peak 26 higher. Next cam adds 12 hp at 500 rpm higher and torque 2 higher at same rpm. Cam was XR275HR 222/224 with 112deg lobe angle displacement. Data here is with the LS6 manifold. Manifold vacuum was 18 smaller and 16 with the larger one. I also would like to go with the milder cam for everyday. Add air flow research heads $$$, but 37 HP with torque gains also. Look stock, idle like stock (sleeper) and kick their but. Long tube headers would help everyplace also.

The question cam and heads or supercharger. Both would cost the same the parts I would choose. Both would add about a 100 hp rwhp. Supercharger would be easier to install and return to stock. Waiting for some more numbers and time so I can save money for the changes. Also I want more mileage stock before I void the warranty.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
I did a cam on the Vette. It was cool and all but this time around I want to do a blower. Yeah its neat and all to sit there at idle and hear a nice lope, but you do also tend to set a lot of P0300 (excessive misfire) codes if you arent idling around 1k rpm. I kind of like the totally stock drivability of the blower but know that the power is there if I want it. Plus with a blower you can swap the pulley sizes and adjust your HP if its not enough. Something you cant do with a cam.

I also think that you will net closer to 150 at the wheels with a blower. I have seen it way too many times in the Vette world. I have personally seen East Coast Supercharging's C5 vert put down well over 500 HP at the wheels in a totally stock LS1 other than the procharger. Not too bad considering it was only like 5-6 pounds of boost and it started out with 300 at the wheels before the blower.

Dollar for dollar I think you will get more bang for your buck with a blower.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Public Enemy said:
Hi guys.. I'm thinking of getting a mild cam for my car.

I'm thinking of getting 212/218 114lsa Competition Cams with Comp 918 Valve springs. Do you think its a good choice? What kind of gains will I get with and without ported heads? Do I need Titatanium retainers and pushrods?

Thanks

Since u have an Auto the cam u listed would be the largest i would go if u want to keep driveablility close to stock. U also should look at the LPE GT2-3 or a 02+ LS6 cam. I think the 212/218 on 114LSA will give u the most power out of the other cams, but it will be noticable that u have a cam in the car and ur idle will be a little bit rough. The smoothest cams will be either the LPE GT2 or GT3 or the LS6 cam. The use of Ti Retainers and 918's springs will be great with any of these cams. U will see anywhere from 30-40rwhp 15-20rwtq with these cams. Good luck.

·
The GTO Devil...
1,572 Posts
I think I am with the -shagfinger, I had a cam and headers on my 00 z28 and it was cool but after a while my wife wouldn't want to drive in it. It was fun, loud, @400rwhp, lay down haul ass fast but what you gain in hp you loose in quality of ride. I am also thinking of a supercharger as well, low boost...great gains. Shag if you get one I would love to check it out :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
SC is nice guys, but u have to spend 5K+ to get one and install it ur self if u dont want to spend another 1K for installation. I got a cam first which did cost me $500-600 with the Springs, Retainers and pushrods and i installed my self. I gained 44rwhp with the cam alone.... Now that is a good bang for the buck and my cam isnt that big. Its a 224/230 114LSA and it drive really good on a M6. Now i got the SC which im going to install maybe next week when i have free time. The nice thing about a small cam on an A4 is that u can drive the car everyday and have 30rwhp extra for 300 bucks or so. If u went with a LS6 cam then u wont be spending more than $250 for cam and springs and it will give u 30rwhp on ur A4 car. If u have 5K+ ur willing to spend then go with a Magnacharger. Good luck.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
LSs1Power said:
SC is nice guys, but u have to spend 5K+ to get one and install it ur self if u dont want to spend another 1K for installation. I got a cam first which did cost me $500-600 with the Springs, Retainers and pushrods and i installed my self. I gained 44rwhp with the cam alone.... Now that is a good bang for the buck and my cam isnt that big. Its a 224/230 114LSA and it drive really good on a M6. Now i got the SC which im going to install maybe next week when i have free time. The nice thing about a small cam on an A4 is that u can drive the car everyday and have 30rwhp extra for 300 bucks or so. If u went with a LS6 cam then u wont be spending more than $250 for cam and springs and it will give u 30rwhp on ur A4 car. If u have 5K+ ur willing to spend then go with a Magnacharger. Good luck.
Tell me more about this CAM. It still idles good?, It lopes alittle or no? Hurt your MPG very bad? Do I have to change springs retainers or not? Would you buy the same CAM if you did it again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cam install on an LS1 is fairly easy if you have the right tools.. I did my own in the Camaro and I went with the TR 224 114 LSA and its has done me well and I am gonna be taking my emissions test soon so we'll see how it does...CA emissions suck :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
04 LS1-MAN said:
Tell me more about this CAM. It still idles good?, It lopes alittle or no? Hurt your MPG very bad? Do I have to change springs retainers or not? Would you buy the same CAM if you did it again?
If u have an M6 this cam will idle just fine with some tuning. I dont recommend it for an A4 LS1 though. The lope is really low and almost will pass for a stock LS1 with headers ORP and exhaust. I didnt notice any difference in my MPG. U will need Ti retainers and 26918 springs since the lift is .587 .593. For extra safety get dual springs if u have the extra money to spend. I would buy this cam again..... After all i gained 100rwhp LID, Headers, Cutout and this sweet cam. Here is a dyno sheet comparing stock VS now http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedGroup/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=10
I choose this cam because im installing my Procharger on the car and its a good Boost cam. Thats why i was surprised to see a 44rwhp gain with a SC cam. Oh by the way, u will want to run 3.73 or even better 4.10's if u want this cam to give u the best performance in the 1/4mile. If u have any question or u want to see extra dyno sheets feel free to ask. Good luck :)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Be forewarned!

This is one heavy car to be adding too big of a camshaft into...

What works for the F body combos would be all wrong for the GTO...

How about a few "bolt-ons" first and then get a custom cam, designed for your application...

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
EDC said:
Be forewarned!

This is one heavy car to be adding too big of a camshaft into...

What works for the F body combos would be all wrong for the GTO...

How about a few "bolt-ons" first and then get a custom cam, designed for your application...

Ed

F-bods and GTO's are not all that different in the weight category..

f-bodies are anywhere from 3300-4000 lbs and I am poretty sure the GTO is within that..

the 4000 pounds may seem like a lot but thats what my buddy's 99' A4 Z28 Vert. weighed in at with the 4 pt. cage...

BTW he has the same cam as me and it still performs very well..

Either way there are tons of cams to choose from and you are bound to find one you will like...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Collin said:
F-bods and GTO's are not all that different in the weight category..

f-bodies are anywhere from 3300-4000 lbs and I am poretty sure the GTO is within that...

There's a big difference between 3300 pounds (Average F-Body) and 3700 pounds (04 GTO) when it come to performance...
the 4000 pounds may seem like a lot but thats what my buddy's 99' A4 Z28 Vert. weighed in at with the 4 pt. cage...

4000 is a lot and will require a different combination than a 3300 pound vehicle....
BTW he has the same cam as me and it still performs very well..

I guess it all depends on what your meaning is of "performs very well"... ;)
Either way there are tons of cams to choose from and you are bound to find one you will like...

That's what a lot of the Ford contingent used to think until we started designing and selling true "custom" camshafts and not just "off the shelf" reboxed pieces like so many others...

It's all in what you consider "Performance".

Those who choose the "Cookie cutter combos" will always run just like each other. No better, no worse. However, those who are constantly looking for more than mediocre results will always find it looking outside the norm...

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
EDC said:

There's a big difference between 3300 pounds (Average F-Body) and 3700 pounds (04 GTO) when it come to performance...

4000 is a lot and will require a different combination than a 3300 pound vehicle....

I guess it all depends on what your meaning is of "performs very well"... ;)

That's what a lot of the Ford contingent used to think until we started designing and selling true "custom" camshafts and not just "off the shelf" reboxed pieces like so many others...

It's all in what you consider "Performance".

Those who choose the "Cookie cutter combos" will always run just like each other. No better, no worse. However, those who are constantly looking for more than mediocre results will always find it looking outside the norm...

Ed

I bought my "off the shelf cam" and run 12.3 @ 113 with zero tuning and stock ls1 intake...sounds like a crappy little cookie cutter cam eh? :sneaky:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Collin said:
I bought my "off the shelf cam" and run 12.3 @ 113 with zero tuning and stock ls1 intake...sounds like a crappy little cookie cutter cam eh? :sneaky:

About par...

Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts