LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I'm really wrestling with this purchase. GTO vs. Corvette. I found what I think will save me. Why buy a Corvette? Mostly for the performance. Why not mod' a GTO to Corvette performance level? While researching I found this link.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=715215

Here's the deal. With cam, LT headers, air box and underdrive pulley the Z06 grew from 363 to 427 rwhp! A gain of 64 ponies! Torque went from 349 to 401! This is with stock throttle body, manifold, heads and catback exhaust. I'm anxious to see what we can come up with for our GTO's.

PS - Wait 'til you hear this beast idle.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Well ... the major difference between a Z06 and a M6 GTO will be the heads. It is unfortunate :( .... A Z06 with proper tuning, LT's, and a Filter can do 390 to the rear wheels.

Upgrade the heads to ported ls1 or ls6 heads (or even afr) and you are in the same ball game, better off than a stock ls6 head.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I think you're nit picking in terms of power. Both engines sans the improvements on the LS6, are the same motor and in the end, will make roughly the same power and both respond indentically in ratio in terms of modification.

You'll see many of us start out at 300-310 stock and then by the time you get done with bolt on mods be closing in on the 350rwhp mark.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cmnt,

That's what I'm after. I want to come in somewhere around 350 rwhp. I don't want to change the heads. Mostly for monetary reasons.

Will consider -

Cam
Headers
Exhaust
CAI of some kind
Underdrive pulleys
Edit
Gear

Trying to come in around $5K installed. Do I have a chance?

·
Registered
227 Posts
cvp33 said:
cmnt,

That's what I'm after. I want to come in somewhere around 350 rwhp. I don't want to change the heads. Mostly for monetary reasons.

Will consider -

Cam
Headers
Exhaust
CAI of some kind
Underdrive pulleys
Edit
Gear

Trying to come in around $5K installed. Do I have a chance?
You should be able to do all of the and the heads for 5k and get an easy 400 RWHP.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seeing $2,000 for a good set of heads. Cam, plus valve train upgrades are running $1,000. Long Tube Headers are $700+, CAI $300, Pulley $200?, Edit + dyno time $450, Rear end gear, no idea. All this in parts is nearly $5K and I don't have labor figured in yet. That's why I left off the heads. I need at least $1,000 to get cam, headers, gear installed. What am I missing?

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
CVP, for around $5k total, you can have an absolute screamer with either engine. If you decide to go with an aftermarket set of heads, they will supercede anything the factory LS6 heads will, so you’re one step ahead there.

Sorry, I don’t see the advantage of paying a premium price to get the LS6 when you can save that extra money spent, invest it on the motor in the GTO (LS1) and just blow the socks off an LS6.

All at the same time, being able to take THREE other friends along for the joyride! :D

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
cvp33 said:
I'm seeing $2,000 for a good set of heads. Cam, plus valve train upgrades are running $1,000. Long Tube Headers are $700+, CAI $300, Pulley $200?, Edit + dyno time $450, Rear end gear, no idea. All this in parts is nearly $5K and I don't have labor figured in yet. That's why I left off the heads. I need at least $1,000 to get cam, headers, gear installed. What am I missing?

I wouldn't hop on a set of ported stockers just yet. Most of the "decent flowing" ported stock heads have intake port volumes in the high 220 range. With 3700 pounds and a few more "toys" than the average F body, you need velocity more than a high flow figure...

Save up the green for the AFR 205 heads. It's worth the effort and extra bucks... That is of course... after all the easy "bolt-on" pieces are done... ;)

Ed

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
Corvettes are fantastic sports cars, I wouldn't talk you out of one.

The GTO is a bit cheaper and more practical for my needs though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts