LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just bought a 2004 gto and i love it but it has a problem ,the rear left wheel camber is way off and i took it to get aligned and the camber got worst. It used to hit the fender alittle with people on the back or when the car jumped hard but now it does hit even with just me. What could it be ?

·
The Old Goat
2006 Pontiac GTO
92 Posts
An OEM suspension GTO does not have a rear camber adjustment. You would have to get something like a Whiteline eccentric bushing to adjust it. Not an easy task. It might be that you have a bent trailing arm on that side. You might have to have a suspension shop look it over to see if that is the case.

·
Administrator
8,201 Posts
Yeah, get under the car and start investigating. Something is damaged to cause that much positive camber.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is funny that you took it for alignment and it got worst. Did they tell you that it is out of alignment and by how much. Before and after alignment sheet?
Other than something being bent or damaged, it is possible that you already have eccentric bushings. Those can get out of alignment really fast if not properly tightened. That would explain it getting worst after alignment. Take some photos of inner and outer bushings and post it here.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey guys i just bought a 2004 gto and i love it but it has a problem ,the rear left wheel camber is way off and i took it to get aligned and the camber got worst. It used to hit the fender alittle with people on the back or when the car jumped hard but now it does hit even with just me. What could it be ? View attachment 500233
Have you noticed a shift in the passenger side as well? If both sides move in the same direction at the same time the subframe is likely to be shifting. If independent it is more likely than not the control arm bushings. If they are still OEM upgrade to poly and eccentrics on the out side. If the car has taken a substantial hit all bets are off. As far as alinement you will have to look hard for a shop that will setup a car anywhere outside of factory spec. Too much liability exposer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It is funny that you took it for alignment and it got worst. Did they tell you that it is out of alignment and by how much. Before and after alignment sheet?
Other than something being bent or damaged, it is possible that you already have eccentric bushings. Those can get out of alignment really fast if not properly tightened. That would explain it getting worst after alignment. Take some photos of inner and outer bushings and post it here.
The only other explanation would be that the toe was also out of whack and when the alignment shop got the toe set the resulting camber was more positive.

That's crazy though. Bent trailing arm, failed rear trailing arm bushings, subframe way out of whack...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Double on the loose bolts, by the monkey #@$% in the shop. 3 places, 2 left CR bushings loose. Got so damn tired of it I bought the tools and now do it in house.

·
It's only cosmetic...
437 Posts
Hey guys i just bought a 2004 gto and i love it but it has a problem ,the rear left wheel camber is way off and i took it to get aligned and the camber got worst. It used to hit the fender alittle with people on the back or when the car jumped hard but now it does hit even with just me. What could it be ? View attachment 500233
From the dirt on the tire, I see definite toe-in as well. Check to see if your subframe bushings are still intact. It seems like the entire control arm is shifted on an arch that moved it all forward on that side. Is the other side toe-out (front tire turning away from centerline of car)?

·
Registered
130 Posts
That is totally f****ed up. You have at least 3-4 degrees of positive camber on left side. Right side looks just right, maybe about 1 to 1.5 degree negative camber. That is if you are holding that level perfectly plumb (can't tell from these photos). If you measure from the rim lip to the level, each 8mm difference is 1 degree of camber.
Now need to lift the car and take some good closeup photos of inner and outer trailing arm bushings. While doing that take a good look at left trailing arm and sub frame brackets where bushings are attached. If it's not bushings issue, something would have to be badly, visibly bent.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's screwed up no matter how you look at it but the level is only valid if the surface you shoot from is level.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts