LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this quetion in our thread in the lounge about the cupholders...http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4370

Anyway, I presumed our Friends down under didn't see it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Can you get the part number for the dual zone digital HVAC headunit from the Monaro? I want to see if I can pull some connections and get one here.

TIA.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Do you think the stock BCM would know what to do with it?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That shouldn't be an issue. Everything should be plug and play. The system is it's own self contained control center.

·
Livin' life
21,088 Posts
CMNTMXR
The following information is all I can find out and the prices are in approximate australian dollars (retail)
Part number for the dual zone display is 92084231....and that is in the colour code called dark dempest...$250.00.
I have made extensive enquiries concerning converting manual air to single & dual climate control and the picture ain't pretty. To do the conversion you would have to change the complete aircon/evaporator assembly to make it work. Reason being is that the climate control has automatic functions, like directing air to different outlets during its cycle. To explain more...it may direct air to the footwell area first...then change to a combination of footwell and centre dash outlets. To do this, it controls servo actuators that open/close vent doors....these functions are not available on the GTO standard air. Also......the evaporator core has different sensors inserted between the fins to detect different air temps for the climate control to react to. Evaporator assembly is $950.00
Next is the drama concerning wiring. A replacement harness or modification to the current harness is in order to accomodate the actuators etc..........cost unknown but a guess would be $150.00. However, there doesn't seem to be a change in the body control module that I can establish. ( good news).
The centre dash facia surround is only $50.00 but get this.....the actual cup holders (separate component to the facia) are $120.00 each.
To conclude.....I think it's a complete waste of time unless you are loaded with bucks to burn. Even if you did the conversion there is no gaurantee all will work as you would expect..........I hope this has been of some help to you

·
Livin' life
21,088 Posts
Forgot to add...judging by the size of those "supersize me " cokes... the cupholders ain't going to hold them anyway...lol

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
olly said:
Forgot to add...judging by the size of those "supersize me " cokes... the cupholders ain't going to hold them anyway...lol
LOL I don't think any do :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
i think the single zone would work. all of the automatic functions are in the head unit. There are already servos of some sort to control airflow(foot, panel, windshield). its just the headunit we have now cant make the decision by itself, it needs our input from a knob. the controls on our unit is all electronic conroled, no more manual cable conections. Thus said, the dual zone would need to differentiate between left and right, which our cars are not plumbed for, but fairly certain that single zone HVAC from a LHD car would work.

·
Registered Cruiser
77 Posts
I believe the going rate to change from manual HVAC to the full auto version is around AU$5000. Lots of cash just to replace a dial with a button. A real barstool of a job too.

Mick

·
Registered
202 Posts
just remember there are 3 levels of BCM fitted to "Holdens/GTO's" I think youll find the high level head unit will only link to the high level BCM, which is not fited to non climate control vehicles aka GTO

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Olly. I would be interested in the single side headunit then. I don't care about my passenger anyway. :D So would you be able get the part# for the single zone? I don't need no stinking cup holders either! Those fancy mechanism's are too rich for my wallet. :D

For $50 (or less) it doesn't hurt to give it the ol college try regardless of what level BCM it

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm bumping this up again for our friends down under.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To the top for our compadre's down under.

I'd really like to try this!!! I'd like to get the part ordered ASAP!!

·
23 psi
510 Posts
I used to be an electronic climate control development engineer for a major automotive manufacturer (hint). The jump from a manual single zone hvac to a single or dual zone electronic system is never an easy one. Many of the points here are valid as far as making the conversion. I would almost guarantee that you'd have to swap out the whole HVAC module in the dash...even for a single zone system. Most automatic systems use electronic actuators to change the mode of the system....the GTO uses a vacuum based system. You can hear it hiss when you change modes. A wiring harness change is also required (as mentioned earlier). I'm sure there is an evaporator sensor, in-car temp sensor and and outside air temperature sensor that is required to make the system operate. I don't know anything aobut the BCM on the GTO/Monaro. Even if it has the 'uplevel' BCM it would need to be programmed to know that an electronic system is there.

I thought about doing the same conversion on my vehicle. Although I did things like that for a living for years, I wouldnt bother attempting it on my GTO.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to be a technician, I've worked on many A/C systems and know exactly what you mean.

However, these cars all come pretty much with one harness to run everything regardless of what particular options are installed. It cuts down on costs from having 4 different harnesses for 4 similar vehicles which may have different option levels.

If it's a cheap unit to try, it would be worth the old college try. If not cheap, no skin lost.

·
23 psi
510 Posts
I hope it works out. If it does I want to do it on my vehicle as well. I love electronic climate control.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You and me both. I never really cared until I had my Aurora with it and now even my beater Delta 88 has it! Talk about being spoiled. ;)

But if that headunit alone is a couple hundred bucks, I may not do it. We shall see.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
i see this becoming a sister thread to the WTB Trunk lid

:D :driving: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I got my answer. The part is $250 AUD which converts to about $180 USD.

Thanks to Olly over by there for the information.

For that money, I'll get my trunk lid first. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts