LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dropping the rear end. I hear a shorty socket will do the trick. The rear bolts are supposed to be replaced if you loosen them and I would like to avoid all of this. Anyone been successfull with this?

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
Yes it can with a stubby 13mm ratcheting wrench and a bit of flexibility of the hands. I did my rear bar bushings with out dropping the rear.

·
Registered
293 Posts
^^^Really? Wow...you must have small hands. I know I def had to drop the diff to replace my rear sway. There was no way I was gonna get my hands up there. Even with it lowered it was still pretty tight. But I see that you only changed the bushing. Peace.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Change the bushing sure, remove the whole bar? I doubt it. I had mine jacked about 15" in the rear (enough for me to sit under it) and dropped the rear to about 4 inches off the ground and still banged a hell of a lot of stuff getting it out. BTW I reused my diff bolts. Shhhh don't tell GM :D

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
duomaxwell said:
^^^Really? Wow...you must have small hands. I know I def had to drop the diff to replace my rear sway. There was no way I was gonna get my hands up there. Even with it lowered it was still pretty tight. But I see that you only changed the bushing. Peace.

Yeah, the hand was a little squished to say the least and it was a PITA to get the bolts back in over the new bushings. I took the entire bar out to assess it and put the new bushings on. Took me about a total of 2 hours, but that was along with the bitchen and moaning about my hand and arm hurting trying to get these damn bolts back in.
And it won't matter if you are lowered or not. The control arms are going to hang down regardless of what springs you have in there.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
its really not that hard to drop the dif. just have a jack underneath it to support it.

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
simpleGTO said:
Get a diff insert and do both at the same time.
Or a Harrop cover. Then you can drop the diff at will by pulling 2 bolts.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
It really is not bad lowering the rear section of the rear cradle. Just don't mess with the bushing bolts. Don't want to throw off your alignment.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
+1 on lowering the diff, and throwing in the insert or a harrop cover.

I did the insert becasue it does about 75% of what the Harrop cover does for the suspension, with about a quarter of the cost.

Also I would have never gotten those sway bracket bolts back in as I have large hands.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Black Devil said:
It really is not bad lowering the rear section of the rear cradle. Just don't mess with the bushing bolts. Don't want to throw off your alignment.
Which rear bushing bolts are you talking about?? The four that are supposed to be replaced if taken out?

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
No he means the bolts for the front mount of the cross member. If you look forward of the rear wheels, there is a Bushing and mount for the cross member. If you loosen these you will need to re-align the rear cradle.

You don't have to touch them to do the sway install.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So dropping the diff does not necessitate a rear cradle alignment? But you are supposed to replace the four bolts used to drop the diff bracket....

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Sorry for not explaining that properly. I did mean the two cradle bolts twards the front of the car. the four rear bolts that attach the diff bushing to the car do not need replacing. Also, no need for a cradle alignment after just dropping the four rear diff bushing bolts.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
I couldnt even get the new rear bar in even with dropping the rear end a few inches....I dont see how anyone could ever get their hands in there without dropping it.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
According to the manual the 4 bolts on the diff carrier bracket need to be replaced. In fact any bolt that runs into the car frame seems to be TTY.

I re-used the bolts temporarily to make sure there where no issues, I also used them to re-align the diff carier when putting in the new ones, one at a time.

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts