LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search . typed in brakes and could barely find any info with the entire list of 500 freaking threads. what kind of brake pads are out there? Can i get just brake pads that would work well with our stock rotors? What are the differences between the types of brake pads. save me some time please so i don't have to look up every single one of these questions up on search.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just my 2 cents but i went to Advanced auto parts and got a set of brakes for the front for like 60 bucks they are called Brodix ceramic pads and they worked awsome for my car and my brakes usually get abused pretty decent... what ever you do dont go to like pontiac and get replacement ones bc they are like 100 bucks

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah . my brakes feel like crap right now. probably one to many high speed braking. i figured before i go up to the goergia cruise which is 10 hours away and a lot of mountain driving i figured i would buy some pads once i figure out which ones. Then go take them to the dealership and have them resurface the rotors and install my pads. I also wanted to get some braided steel lines which i've been recommended to get.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
There are quite a number of pads out there from different manufacturers.

Depends on what you are looking for.

The newest kinds out there are the ceramics which offer OEM Cf (coefficient of friction) and generally are less dusting than those of the more metallic content OEM pads.

If you decide that you would like a higher Cf pad, then you have to make a decision on what you are looking for. Street? Strip? Track?

If you plan on doing some higher speed mountain work, something along the line of a Hawk HPS, Axxis Ultimate, Raybestos STS or the like will work great when paired with a quality brake fluid and some afore mentioned SS lines.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want to be able to stop from high speeds a lot and not having to worry about down shifting to slow my self down. But what are the down sides of that? seems like no matter which direction i want to go, it's always a one way street. I want to spend the good money this time and get something good from the start. How long do these pads last?

·
Controlled Insanity
287 Posts
Again, it all depends on application...street, strip, road course? Also, how well do you want them to perform or need them to perform?

If you want a good street pad that can handle some high speed stops, then I would go with Hawk HPS or Axxis Ultimate. However, these will not last as long as a regular street pad and they will not perform as well as a more aggressive pad in racing situations.

Put it this way...the more aggressive your braking needs, the more aggressive pads you will need. These will in turn not last as long as a standard pad and can dust more as well. The key is to pick the most aggressive pad for your application, but no more.

Aggressive race pads need heat to operate correctly (more than you can generate on the street) and they wear fast, but they stop the best.

Aggressive street pads wear faster and are generally noiser and dirtier than regular street pads, but they stop better and can handle higher temperatures without cracking or getting greasy.

Regular street pads are fine for pretty much everyone. So, unless you will occasionally road track the car, or have a need to stop from 120+ on a daily basis, these will do you just fine.

·
Controlled Insanity
287 Posts
Those are a great performance pad. Just get used to a little extra noise and don't expect them to last 30k+ miles.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NJGOAT said:
Those are a great performance pad. Just get used to a little extra noise and don't expect them to last 30k+ miles.
hey mid west. chime in on this. . your website says
Performance Ceramic – quiet, clean & fast stopping!

Key Features:

* Increased stopping power
* Increased rotor life
* Extended pad life
* Ultra-low dust
* Extremely quiet
* Stable friction output.
so are they quiet? or are they loud like this guy says

·
Controlled Insanity
287 Posts
This guy has those pads on his GTO...he had them on his road race Mustang...several of his friends had/have them on their cars. Who cares what MidWest's website says, they just copied Hawks' advertising statement anyway. It all depends on what you think Hawk is comparing them to...stock pads or other performance pads. Do you honestly believe what most vendors post or say about performance parts?

They do throw up a good amount of dust when used hard. They squeak under mild to moderate braking. If used hard on the street, they do not last very long. Maybe 15k-20k before they start to lose their effectiveness. If driven hard on the track you will get maybe 3-4 sessions out of them.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
I wouldnt honestly go with the hawk ceramics given the information provided by james in this thread. Sure they do provide a better overall performance than most ceramics but they really do not have the heat dissipation that the higher level pads such as the HPS and Axxis Ultimates provide.

James, as someone that has spent alot of time researching pads for the GTO, and is quite familiar with the hawk and Axxis line...I really would suggest the Hawk HPS for the fronts and the Axxis ultimates for the rear with some good SS lines and the Valvoline SynPower fluid that I previously mentioned

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well how can i refuse advice from another cat in a frog hat. so what will these pads do for me exactly? you're saying they are good for my particular application please explain. thanks. and yes i'm ordering the SS lines very soon because these brakes are just horrible.

·
Can't have enough V8s
1,932 Posts
Have you considered that it might not just be a pad issue? My 04 brakes were the biggest POS Ive ever seen on a car, my 04 PIlot stopped better. Then I had the brakes flushed and it was like a whole new car Havent complained about them since. Granted you are going to be doing some stopping that doesnt fall under (normal driving) but something to consider.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
jamesbiz said:
well how can i refuse advice from another cat in a frog hat. so what will these pads do for me exactly? you're saying they are good for my particular application please explain. thanks. and yes i'm ordering the SS lines very soon because these brakes are just horrible.
James...due to your admitted use of the pads (night high speed with multiple high load stops) the higher CF and heat dissipation of the more performance oriented pads that they will give you better overal pedal feel, higher overall performance and due to their pad heat range will work from the moment you drive out of the drive way (cold) to the repeated high speed stops (operating temp)

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
TriflowM5+M3 said:
James, as someone that has spent alot of time researching pads for the GTO, and is quite familiar with the hawk and Axxis line...I really would suggest the Hawk HPS for the fronts and the Axxis ultimates for the rear with some good SS lines and the Valvoline SynPower fluid that I previously mentioned
Exact combo I'm doing on my car. I've done the research as well, and have concluded that these pads will be best for "spirited street driving". Add the SS lines, and some good fluid (I will be using ATE Super Blue) and it should be an excellent combo.

·
V8 Whore
823 Posts
pawz said:
Exact combo I'm doing on my car. I've done the research as well, and have concluded that these pads will be best for "spirited street driving". Add the SS lines, and some good fluid (I will be using ATE Super Blue) and it should be an excellent combo.

pawz...i have used ATE super blue in the past but if you are going to use ATE, I would suggest using the Typ200 as it is the same fluid without the blue die added. If you are open to suggestion, i would recommend Valvoline's SynPower Synthetic fluid. I have posted my thoughts on it a couple of times to james and others since I became a member. Its about $4-6 less per quart, has higher overall performance and is easier to get hands on in everyday life.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
You can also look into EBC. Their RedStuff and GreenStuff products are great. I currently run RedStuff on the rear and they are not noisy, no dust, and I can tell a huge difference since the car doesnt dive forward under hard braking. They compliment my StopTechs very well. Its a great pad for repeated heavy break in. The GreenStuff is more fore initial strong bite. Theres also YellowStuff but thats race only application.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts