LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership re-torqued the pressure plate bolts yesterday. Afterwards, I couldn't engage Reverse. I took it back to the dealership. They called me later telling me that they didn't do any additional work--just have to line up shifter carefully.

Well, I picked it up this morning. Reverse now requires much more effort to engage than I remember after 1800 miles of previous use. Ms Heinz-Kerry would say that you have to "shove it" way over and up into gear. I can not engage 2nd or 3rd from a dead stop, engine running, or off--I could before. I had them park another M6 right next and everything was smooth and easily engageable. The tech who did the clutch work sat in my car. I told him to try 2nd and 3rd. Neither gear engaged. He said it was designed that way. When I goaded him to find Reverse - and he couldn't - he said I was starting to p--s him off. It'll can shift relatively easily into 4th and 5th. The Service Advisor said that the difference between my car (bot in March) and the new one was because mine was broken-in by now.

The CAGS doesn't work. Most of you would probably say that I saved $30 by not having to buy the eliminator, but I'd kinda like to have my car back the way it was--and then pop for the eliminator if I want it.

Any similar experiences or suggestions, anyone?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm.. Aren't 2nd,3rd and reverse the exact gears that have lock outs on them...could be the wiring or the lock out solenoids got messed up.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
capra2d said:
The tech who did the clutch work sat in my car. I told him to try 2nd and 3rd. Neither gear engaged. He said it was designed that way. When I goaded him to find Reverse - and he couldn't - he said I was starting to p--s him off. :
Man the idiots in this business is unbelievable. "It was designed that way"???????????????????????????????????????????????????
So this is how they left it with you? Take the car back and tell
the SOB's to fix it right. This is ridiculous!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Man the idiots in this business is unbelievable. "It was designed that way"???????????????????????????????????????????????????
So this is how they left it with you? Take the car back and tell
the SOB's to fix it right. This is ridiculous!
The problem is that the JERK mechanics you get, just never care to get the car actually fixed, so you are kinda screwed. I have taken mine back for repeated issues, and they still try to blow me off. I really get pissed, because the next dealer is 60 miles away. :bomb:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Rocket said:
The problem is that the JERK mechanics you get, just never care to get the car actually fixed, so you are kinda screwed. I have taken mine back for repeated issues, and they still try to blow me off. I really get pissed, because the next dealer is 60 miles away. :bomb:
I hate to say it, but, unions, people, unions.

Speaking of unions, I'm working on a test right now and the guys that are in my employ take forever to get things done, but whenever they get things done, it miraculously happens at the same time everyday. The in-between times are punctuated by their reading the newspaper and my chastizing them. Unionized. Anyway...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-762-2737. I had problems with 2 dealers in San Antonio and called them, I was assured that they would recieve letters from Pontiac at the very least. But the good news was the only other Pontiac dealer suddenly popped out with a Cosmo 6Spd. Two days earlier the same dealer said it would be 2 months before it arrived.

Call them, I don't think Lutz and Co. like it when our dealers treat us poorly.

Jag

'04 Cosmo 6 Spd

·
doesnt get 29mpg
487 Posts
its sad to say but they have always been that way
very rarely do you find a service department that has a bunch of cool people working there that actually help you

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlueGTO said:
Hmm.. Aren't 2nd,3rd and reverse the exact gears that have lock outs on them...could be the wiring or the lock out solenoids got messed up.
BlueGTO, my Man:

You were Dead On!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same inkling, and was hopeful, that when the CAGS ("skip-shift") was restored to its proper, albeit annoying (to some, anyway, operation that the other issues would disappear.

Technically, the "A" Pin of Circuit 587, Shift Control Solenoid PCM Control had backed out of the socket, causing a poor circuit connection. Presumably, the Tech had to disconnect the cable in the process of re-torquing the pressure plate bolts and didn't get everything properly re-seated.

Before the incident, the "play" of the shifter--engine running or off--was smooth, and is once again. With the A Pin improperly connected, the travel was ratchety, or to use a term relatively new to me, but probably applicable, "notchy." That circuit apparently keeps those gates lined up. Also, Reverse feels "normal" to me, once again.

Stuff happens, of course, and given the multitude of high tech features in this and all modern vehicles, we just have to deal with it. The aggravation level goes over the top, however, when the Techs make denials, give lame explanations, and question the customer's familiarity with their own cars.

By the way, I took a printout of this thread, with your post highlighted, with me yesterday morning to the Dealership. 3 p.m., car ready for pick-up.

Thanks to you and everyone on the Board.

Ken

:hail: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :driving: :burnout:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Third gear does not have a lockout on it. When my skip shift activates, I put it into third, for some reason its easier for me than trying to go into fourth.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Ausome said:
Nothing to add here, just wanted to do a test post... this is my first time in this forum.
roger....all good.........and Welcome aboard :cool:

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Yeah I was surprised to find when CAGS kicked in, I could go into 3rd. I couldn't go into 2nd or 3rd in the Camaro SS I had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts