LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been messing around with a cheap OBD2 scanner. As I mentioned in another thread, this specific adapter when plugged in will not allow you to use the fob to lock the doors.

Well was doing a data log on the way to 7-11... Pulled up and forgot to pull the obd2 adapter out of the port... Closed the door and hit the lock button on the fob like normal not thinking....

So I come out of 7-11 and hit the unlock button on the fob.... nothing. I completely forgot that I hadn't unplugged the damn OBD2 adapater. For some reason it actually allowed me to lock the doors with the fob while the adapter is plugged in... but now it won't unlock...

When I stick the key in the driver door it won't turn....

Any suggestions on how to get back into my goat??

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Car is currently stuck at 7-11 :(

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after some reading it looks like I should be able to put the key in the lock and open the door...

I guess these locks stick from what I can tell. I'm going to take a set of vice grips with me back to 7-11. Either the key will turn and let me in or i'll break the damn thing.

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The key will either turn the lock with enough force or it will break the lock.

Ask me how i know.
Man I hope that doesn't happen. About to start the long walk back over there

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know Napa up here sells lock ease. It has graphite no powder in it. Works wonders

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welp that didnt go as planned

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
39,958 Posts
It's odd that your adapter interferes with doorlock operation.

Have you tried using any other scanner/adapter?

Bluetooth operates a little above 2.4GHz. Wifi bands are usually around 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Key fob signals are much lower frequency. So, unless there is some weirdo electronic issue, it shouldn't interfere with the signal.

Usually the cheaper adapters are made in china jobs, with dubious quality. It makes me wonder if somehow it fails to meet any kind of FCC standards and is sending stuff out on frequencies it shouldn't.

The only other thing i could think of is the BCM is getting confused with the OBD adapter plugged in. I think that's unlikely.

·
LS9 FTW
242 Posts
So it definitely sounds like the BCM is being influenced by the OBD2 module you have plugged in, and the door lock solenoid is being forced closed thus the door lock tumbler will not turn with the key.

Wouldn't this eventually drain the car battery?

I would try to open the hood and disconnect the battery, this should release the door lock solenoid since there is no power.

You should be able to fish some kind of cable between the honey comb grilles, pull them out and be able to access the hood latch/cable and release the hood.

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was pouring rain right after the key broke. I called a locksmith and he had it open in a couple minutes using one of those inflatable bladders to separate the window and used a metal rod to unlock the door.

The funny thing about the key is it was turning. Key turned almost 80% counter clockwise then broke. Now I gotta fish that out of there. Just glad I brought my spare key...

The OBD2 messing with the bcm makes sense. As soon as it's unplugged key work fob works like normal.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
For the price of a new key and a locksmith, you could've bought a new scan tool.

·
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the price of a new key and a locksmith, you could've bought a new scan tool.
Locksmith was free, USAA insurance ftw. And have 2 extra spare keys already.

Try another OBD device and see if the same thing happens. Preferably something that is not wifi or bluetooth, like a handheld scanner.
Unfortunately I don't have access to one, that's why I bought the wifi adapter lol.

Lesson learned. I just have to unplug it. If I find myself using it more I may just pick up a short OBD2 extension and wire in a switch on the power lead. That way I can just reach up under there and flip a switch. Unplugging and plugging that big adapter is cumbersome.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Locksmith was free, USAA insurance ftw. And have 2 extra spare keys already.

Unfortunately I don't have access to one, that's why I bought the wifi adapter lol.

Lesson learned. I just have to unplug it. If I find myself using it more I may just pick up a short OBD2 extension and wire in a switch on the power lead. That way I can just reach up under there and flip a switch. Unplugging and plugging that big adapter is cumbersome.
It sucks that you got locked out. My 95Z used to do that to me, to the point that I would roll down the driver's side window 1/3 of the way before turning the car off.

I will try to go through my AZ receipts and send you the info on what I bought - both the adapter and extension cable. I've never had the trouble you encountered, and I leave mine plugged in most of of the time, even though it only gets out on weekends.

·
Registered
868 Posts
None of the above. Your car is def cursed.
On a semi serious note, I believe we have the same adapter, blue bluetooth obd2 thingy. I'm pretty sure I left that thing on for about a month straight with no issue.
Glad your back in though. I'd freak out leaving my whip at a convenient location.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts