LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GTO M6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a pretty big problem right now. The car keeps dying at random. Before it dies, the gauges flicker then the engine stops even while driving. It usually starts but ive had it die completely and not start up for 5 minutes before. After i start it back up if it does start, the A/C is switched off and the aftermarket radio i have disconnects bluetooth. I took it to a dealer and they had an "expert" look at it who said that either the tune, cam, or throttle body is bad. The car has had an aftermarket btr stage 4 cam & tune for over 4 years and the throttle body was replaced about a year ago. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Double check your grounds and power cables. maybe one is loosing connection.

·
Max666
4 Posts
My 2006 used to die, it would blow a fuse randomly and the display would read check CPU. If I replaced the fuse it would run again.
turned out to be a short in the harness. When they moved the harness from the right hand drive location to the left hand drive they pinched the harness against a steel under dash support and after 26,000 miles it wore through the insulation.
once I found the bare wire and taped it up all of the problems went away.
Doesn’t sound exactly like your problem but thought I’d mention it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
One of the 2005 GTOs that I owned (and my daughter drove) developed the problem of shutting off without warning. When it would die it would throw a code for a throttle position sensor ... but we couldn't pin it down.

I replaced the assembly for the pedal assembly. Still shut off a few times. The spent a week with a trusted mechanic driving it hoping it would die while he had a computer hooked up to it. Of course, it didn't fail that week at all. A trip to a Chevy dealer was a complete waste of time. The next "professional" suggestion was to replace the ECM, BCM, and throttle body. Nope. We traded it in on a Ford Edge for our daughter. I fully disclosed the issue to the dealer and gave the dealer all of the paperwork and code printouts ... but they really didn't seem to care.

There was a time when it wouldn't even turn over. I solved that problem by cleaning the little nub antenna on the key and the spring-loaded ring around the ignition switch. They didn't look all that dirty, but there was a little of dirt on the Q-Tip. Guess it was just enough that the car wasn't recognizing that a valid key was in the ignition.

·
Registered
2005 GTO M6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2006 used to die, it would blow a fuse randomly and the display would read check CPU. If I replaced the fuse it would run again.
turned out to be a short in the harness. When they moved the harness from the right hand drive location to the left hand drive they pinched the harness against a steel under dash support and after 26,000 miles it wore through the insulation.
once I found the bare wire and taped it up all of the problems went away.
Doesn’t sound exactly like your problem but thought I’d mention it.
Was it the wire to the BCM under the glove box? I heard that was an issue with these cars. My bcm hangs down and the metal piece that usually messes with the wires is bent out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Max666
4 Posts
Mine used to die, it works blow a fuse and the display works read check CPU. If I replaced the fuse it would run again.
turned out to be a short in the harness. When they moved the harness from the right hand drive location to the

1 - 10 of 10 Posts