LS1GTO Forums banner

How do you soap your goat?

• i take mine thru the car wash (and hand wash)

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • i only wash mine by hand

Votes: 54 73.0%
  • soap? i let the rain hose her off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i only go to topless cheerleader fund raisers

Votes: 8 10.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm suprised that no one has brought this up before but reading this on another thread made me wonder. i take my black car thru the soft cloth car wash at least once a week as well as hand wash. the finish looks fine (with my NanoWax :)) also, what kind of soap does everyone use on their goat?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
When I get a fill up of more than 10 gallons, I get a free touchless car wash at the gas station. This is how all my cars get washed. All done in less than 5 minutes while I am sitting inside the car and NO brush touches the cars, just some really powerful jet streams of water spray.

So the cars get washed as often as I fill gas, which means very often....

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I liked the touchless carwash idea for rinsing off dust - until one ripped the front plate cover off of my Bonneville as I was exiting. It never stayed on right after that. I decided then that powerful jet streams of water playing all over the outside of my car without me even seeing what it was doing might not be something I want to have happen. And I definitely don't want spinning brushes or swishing walls of potentially crud-encrusted fabric rubbing back and forth on it! So, until the "newness" wears off for me, it's had-wash only (with TurtleWax car wash, BTW, 'cause I bought a big-ass jug a couple of years ago...)

·
Loyd @ SNL Performance
482 Posts
I used to hand wash my black car all the time... When you hand wash, you don't get the towels recleaned as they should be... caused swirling. I now only take mine to a soft touch cloth carwash. No marks.... I hear the chems that they have to use to do a touchfree wash are harder on the paint than most bug gut or bird poop... So far so swirlies or scratches

·
Registered
237 Posts
I ONLY wash it by hand and I let no one else wash it. The reasons area first off I'm very anal about washing the GTO, in particualr drying. I HATE swirals in the clear coat so I first use the california water blade to get the majority of water off, then I use a 100% cotton white towel and lightly dry offf the rest. If you rub too hard with the towel, swirals appear. After the wash and dry I spray down the car with the Zaino spray.

It all comes down to that If I have someone else wash her, I won't be happy and will have to do it over myself.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I only do a touchless automatic wash on Christine if I have to.
Otherwise its by hand and a chamois dry rub down :hail:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
hand wash only

·
Registered
86 Posts
hand wash only every weekend (if its not raining or a hurracaine coming over) and i use Meguires NXT carwash, and to dry the california water blade and towels

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Do mine by hand unfortunetly like TonyTJ it has to be perfict, wash mine every weekend. I use Meguires Mirror Glaze 62 car wash, detailer grade stuff buy it by the gallon. The wash mit and chamios i'll replace couple times a year. Recently I found a 3'x3' microfiber "drying towel" that picks up where the chamois leaves off, works well!

Touchless car washes use very harsh detergents, not a fan of them.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Hand wash with Zanio products

·
Registered
160 Posts
Washing

I use the Mr Clean system. Wash by hand, everything else with spray. No drying. Works well most of the time. Leaves water marks once in a while I believe because the filter needs changing.

slick50

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I go through the touchless spray wash at the gas station when I fill up on occasion, but it doesn't remove bugs or dust/dirt all that well, so I hand wash as well with Rain Dance carwash I got a while ago. I will never use a 'soft touch' carwash after seeing how my mom uses one all the time and her 98 explorer now looks like it was washed with steelwool... I tried the Mr. Clean and it left spots all over the place (not a bad filter- it was brand new) I used it a second time a month or so later and it worked a little better but still left spots. Not sure if it didn't like my Meguiars wax or what...

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that was a very good article and reaffirms some of my thoughts on hand washing. i however always wash the wheels and bottom last so i don't have to make 2 buckets of soapy water up. i turn the hose with no sprayer on full blast and really give a copious soaking with water. i have a large tree over the driveway and that keeps the cars from spotting while i'm doing the rest of it. i didn't like the idea of plain water as i could feel it didn't lubricate as well. is there a good, inexpensive car wash soap anyone recommends?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Red98gt said:
Excellent Article on How to wash your car. I have a Red and a Indigo Blue and there are NO Swirls from washing........ And yes, Touchless detergents are very harsh, and do not clean like a hand wash.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=9

very good article. im glad to know that i do about 90% of the stuff he mentioned and use most of the products he mentioned and in the fashion he described
(geez that guy has a lot of porsches)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just about any brand of car wash will be OK (turtle wax, armorall, etc.).

He did leave out one thing though. The best way to dry the car is with a 200 mph leaf blower. I bought an electric Craftsmen at Sears for $50 and it does a great job of getting all the water off and out of the cracks. Much easier to dry and no risk of scratching.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My friend owns a car wash and I use it exclusively

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Hand wash, Meguire's car wash soap, genuine sheepskin mitt and Griots wash bucket with ledge for the mitt - keeps mitt from picking up grit at the bottom of the bucket. Use Griots wheel cleaner and extra soft finish brushes for wheels. Dry with 100% cotton towels. No swirls, no scratches so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts