LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on CNN this morning. Basically, they're going to tighten emissions standards and make automakers and therefore the consumer pay for it. They're probably going to reformulate the gas again. And let's not even talk about what they're going to change as far as being able to modify your car. After I get back from my dealer I'll see if I can't dig up the text of the potential new statutes, unless someone else comes up with them first.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a link to the proposed regulations. They are at the bottom of this page in a PDF file.

CARB

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
I hate emmisions with a passion. This GTO will be the first and last car that I will by that is post-72. Then again, living in CA, they will eventually try to get the older vehicles smogged. If this state was not so aestically pleasing, I would leave.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kalifornia is the most screwed up state in the union, and its more than just because of emissions standards... You guys got some serious whackos in political positions out there that create some really goofy laws.. :)

·
71-GTO
220 Posts
I heard on the radio that older cars (pre 1973) which are currently exempt, will now have to be smog tested under the new law. I know lots of classic car owners to include myself are not happy about that. I looked through that web link above (briefly) and didn't see these conditions.

Tom :cry:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tom it is 1975 and older that is now exempt since the governor singed AB 2683

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT
Governor Signs Smog Check Exemption Repeal Bill Into Law
We have just been informed that despite receiving thousands of messages in opposition to the bill, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has just signed A.B. 2683 into law. The new law repeals California's current rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replaces it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles.
We remain confident that the facts are on our side: California's 30-year rolling exemption recognized the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality, since they constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population. These older cars are overwhelmingly well maintained and infrequently driven, and are poor candidates for reducing pollution. They are, in the end, convenient scapegoats for legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to make it sound like they are cleaning the air. The old car hobby must stand united against future attacks that will accomplish nothing except require unnecessary testing, waste money and burden car hobbyists.
Special thanks to all of the thousands of vehicle hobbyists and related businesses who contacted the Governor requesting his veto. Special thanks also to the steadfast California lawmakers that supported our valiant cause - State Senators Tom McClintock, Betty Karnette and Chuck Poochigian and Assemblymembers Doug LaMalfa and John Campbell.
We will live to fight another day!
Steve McDonald
SEMA VP, Government Affairs

·
71-GTO
220 Posts
Wow thanks for the info, now 1975 and older. That will increase the price of 74 & 75 cars in Ca. Although my car is in excellent condition and probably could pass emissions, I just don't want the headache with doing the testing.

Tom :driving:

·
Registered
629 Posts
What really pisses me off is once the Cal. radicals get their idiotic save the world statutes passed, the rest of the states get stuck with the same crap 2 years later.I sure hope the feds ignore this idiocy and not think it's a great idea and mandate it.This could really screw up future performance cars if it goes 50 state.Next , they will try to just confiscate our old cars from us...............they won't be happy till all cars are electric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts