Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my carbon fiber hood is here. My paint guy must have turned his cell phone off 'cause I can't get through to him. So, my son and I went ahead and mounted the hood on the car, just to see what it looks like. Pics are attached. (Notice the honeycomb grill I painted black.)

My son thinks we should leave the decals on the hood, but I think that looks too ricey. My paint guy thinks I should take the hood pins off and try to use the stock latch, but I like the hood pins. To use them, though, I will have to do some drilling. Yikes! Anyway, what do you guys think?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It fits nearly perfectly. Yes, it uses the stock hinges, but NOT the stock hood latch. Surprisingly, the color match is also nearly perfect, but there are rock dings on the hood. (You'd expect that from a hood that's been in a RACE.)

ALL THAT IS MISSING IS MY NEW WHEELS!! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Did you put it on yourself? I hope Howie and Arrowhead get something going soon.....I am eager to get that one.....Hopefully it is a do-it-myself install. THat one looks great ........I agree that you should lose the pins and decals

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Geez Florit, that is freaking beautiful. A piece of art for sure. Lose the decals, keep the pins AND do the latch...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installing the hood was an easy "do-it-yourself" job. And when I say easy, I mean if I can do it, anyone can.

I don't drive my GTO in the rain. If, somehow, I get caught in a downpour, I'll either find a place to hide or hurry home. The way the louvers are angled, I don't think TONS of water will get in. Just enough to make me nervous. Can you say, "electrical short"?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I am in the minority - but I'm for leave it as is. You bought a piece of racing history - the first GTO hood to be used in a road race. I think part of that is the nostalgia, that gets tarnished a bit by painting.
My 2 cents...
Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow, that does look nice!!! It is a tough call about leaving the decals. I guess I would opt to remove them, attach a stock latch and leave the hood pins in place for appearance. Not sure if I would drill the car just to make them functional. If the car was older, sure, no problem, but it is brand new. just my 2 coppers...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
I am in the minority - but I'm for leave it as is. You bought a piece of racing history - the first GTO hood to be used in a road race. I think part of that is the nostalgia, that gets tarnished a bit by painting.
My 2 cents...
Dan
I agree. You bought a piece of history and you should keep it that way. I would drill the car.
:drink: :drink:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
like dan said. leave it

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Ude-Lose said:
keep the pins...

lose the stickers.. or keep them?, but do you want to advertise for gmac ?
Maybe GMAC will send you a residual each month.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
That hood looks really good. It adds this very fitting muscle glare from the front without looking "tack on" like some hoodscoops.

I would get rid of the decals and it's all :thumbs:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I left work early today to spend some time with the GTO. I studied the two hoods and the engine compartment. I took the new hood off and re-installed the stock hood.

If I want to use the carbon fiber hood on my car, I will need to move the hood pins. I cannot drill at their current position because an air conditioner pipe runs right under one. (The race car didn't have air conditioning, wanna bet?)

If I move the hood pins, the decals will be messed up, hence need to be removed.

So, I have engineered the installation of the carbon fiber hood, and even come up with a way to quickly swap the hoods, if i want. But it's a "go/no go" decision on the carbon fiber hood. Once I decide to use it on the car, it will need to be modified and repainted.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. It has really been a hard decision! :D

If I decide to use the carbon fiber hood on my car, I will be sure to take tons of pics to show how I did it. I think you will find the solution very professional, even elegant.

Now, does anyone know where I can get an extra set of hood hinges? :D

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
FLORIT said:
Now, does anyone know where I can get an extra set of hood hinges? :D
I suspect this person can do without them.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mistermike said:
I suspect this person can do without them.
hahahahahahaha, I SWEAR I thought of that pic when I was typing the question. Wonder how I could get in touch with the salvage yard? ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts