LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several post about catch cans on LS1tech.com I spent the money and installed one on my car. After installing the catch can on 8-14-04 and after driving it less then 900 miles this is the amount of oil that I have in the catch can.

IMO they really do work.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I'm not sure what they do, can you please post a link or two to decribe the advantage to this.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It's like a drool bucket for your car.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No. Every engine consumes oil. It actually is helpful to have some oil enter the combustion chamer as it acts like a cooling mechanism. On EGR equipped cars, it;s even better. If I pulled off the intake on any of my vehicles, you'd see about the same amount in the plenum. IT'S NORMAL!!!

By you catching it, you're actually hurting the performance of the motor and in the end, only really saving yourself a minimal amount of oil. What exactly were you going to do with the oil you caught? Pour it back in the crankcase?

If you were blowing a quart of oil into the can every fill up, then that's a different story, but some oil ingestion is the sign of a healthy motor and this negates that.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
No. Every engine consumes oil. It actually is helpful to have some oil enter the combustion chamer as it acts like a cooling mechanism. On EGR equipped cars, it;s even better. If I pulled off the intake on any of my vehicles, you'd see about the same amount in the plenum. IT'S NORMAL!!!

By you catching it, you're actually hurting the performance of the motor and in the end, only really saving yourself a minimal amount of oil. What exactly were you going to do with the oil you caught? Pour it back in the crankcase?

If you were blowing a quart of oil into the can every fill up, then that's a different story, but some oil ingestion is the sign of a healthy motor and this negates that.
so its normal to see oil in the throttle body?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
In the throttle body? Or intake plenum?

If it's in the throttle body, you've got issues.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Exactly and that was part of the EGR function and why it helped. If he's getting oil, I think he's got other issues. But my whole point is that a catch can isn't really "helping" anything other than catching oil. Somehow it's getting through the PCV system though (at least that's how I imagine he installed it).

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
And now that I think about the PCV system, this was a huge issue for oil consumption on GM Trucks. To correct this, GM changed PCV valves for one that had a smaller diameter outlet hole, therefore less was getting pumped through the system. For a few bucks, this is a much cheaper method of achieving the same results as a catch can then having to add another piece of unsightly equipment to your engine.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Admittedly I'm not an expert on this subject, but I did also read quite extensively about it on LS1tech. The general consensus I got is that the block changes from the old (LS1) casting to the new (LS6) casting (which all GTO's should have) and using the LS6 intake (which GTO's also have) really took the oil consumption issues with the motor out of the question and I even remember reading one of the sponsors selling catch cans posting that with the 'LS6' block / intake setup they didn't recommend one.
Dan

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
In the throttle body? Or intake plenum?

If it's in the throttle body, you've got issues.
I dont know the difference but when I look at the throttle body and pushed the throttle open a little I saw what looked like a little oil...I assumed it was normal with the blower having just been installed. I will get a pic tonight and show you.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The PCV feeds back in though behind your TB. So if it's past teh TB, you're fine. If it's coming in through the TB then I'd be investigating.

It should have nothing to do with the S/C because your stock intake plenum is technically a "dry" intake. Meaning no oil, coolant or other liquid flows through it as a pathway. From there, the top of the motor is sealed with teh valley cover where the knock sensors are located. So there shouldn't be any excess oil for any reason from the S/C.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts